Moto GP Live/Full version question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan B, Dec 28, 2002.

1. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

I just got this game...don't know why I waited so long. [​IMG] My question is:
    I'm not happy with the way the controls are mapped in the full version of the game. Specifically, I can't find a setup for manual transmission that suits me. I understand that the Live version of the game allows you to re-map the controls. Is it possible to play the full version of the game offline with re-mapped controls, or does that only work if you're playing the Live version online?
    I can not download anything through Xbox Live because I don't have broadband, so I'm just wondering if the Live Moto GP demo will allow me to do as I described above.
    Thanks!

2. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

To sum up...will buying the Live demo version of the game allow me to re-map the controls in the single player GP campaign? [​IMG] Anyone?

3. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

One last try...I take it this means that nobody knows if I can play the single player game with re-mapped controls?

4. JayV

JayV Supporting Actor

Yes.*

-j

* This is probably not true. I don't have the retail version. I just thought you'd like some kind of answer.

5. BertFalasco

BertFalasco Supporting Actor

6. pitchman

pitchman Screenwriter

Gary
    Dan, I have both versions and will look into this and report back.

I'm pretty sure it's not going to work (since both games are stored independently on the HD) but, maybe by creating a player with the new control scheme in the online demo and then saving it to a memory card, you can import the player into the retail version and "trick" it into accepting the re-mapped controls as part of the player's attributes. Just a thought.

Like I say, it probably won't work but since I have both games and a memory card, I'll give it a whirl...

Gary

7. Romar Armas

Romar Armas Second Unit

In the Retail version, you are stuck with the set controls. You will not be able to remap the buttons, only the preset ones.

The Live and Retail settings are stored separately.

8. Eric C. Mylonas

Eric C. Mylonas Stunt Coordinator

Nope.

9. pitchman

pitchman Screenwriter

Gary
    Dan, like Romar says, there is no way to do it. Although the online version saves your settings in a data file, there is no save rider option like in the retail version.

Coincidentally, I was talking to someone who was kicking everyone's ass in a session I just hosted and he said he was using a manual transmission and was explaining how mapped his controls. I asked him if he knew of any way to export those control settings to the retail version and he said no.

For what it's worth, he said he learned to drive manual using the retail game, then switched to the online version and mapped his controls and his scores went through the roof! He seemed to feel that although you have less control over the controls (bad pun, I know!) in the retail version, it's still the best way to learn to drive manual tranny.

I hope this helps!

Gary

10. Bill Eberhardt

Bill Eberhardt Stunt Coordinator

I've stuck with the default controller setup. For awhile I had trouble with inadvertently downshifting at times by accidentally clicking the left joystick. It took me a couple of weeks before I learned to stop doing it.

You have a few controller setups in the retail version but you can't customize them. And, yeah, you can't have the same setup as the live version (unless your live setup is the same as one of the retail defaults).

The biggest difference between the live demo and the retail version is in the retail version you have more wheel spin. It is easier to start a power slide and it lasts longer.

An interesting fact about the retail version: you will never see lap record times ending between .60 and .99 seconds. The developers had the fractions of a second correspond to the frame rate (60 fps) so it goes from 0-59 and they forgot to convert it to 0-99. :b

11. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

Thanks for the answers everyone.

12. Romar Armas

Romar Armas Second Unit

Well, MotoGP was actually one of the first gen games for the Xbox. It came out in May this year so it's no wonder why. I'm still very impressed with the overall outcome though, great job there.

I use Automatic when playing retail version. Using the joystick buttons for shifting just kills my thumbs.

I strictly use manual in Live. I use the Right Trigger for Gas, Left trigger for both brakes and X for downshift, A for upshift.

13. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    Glad to see I'm not the only one having shifting problems with the retail config setup. Guess I'll go through the rookie season on automatic and try manual shifting later.