Motion sickness bands

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Thi Them, Mar 22, 2002.

1. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

I get motion sickness when playing 3-D video games and viewing home videos. I don't care about watching home videos, but I would like to play the games. I've heard of bands that you wear around your wrists that prevents motion sickness. Has anyone tried these? Do they work?

~T

2. MichaelPe

MichaelPe Screenwriter

I've heard that there's also a patch that can be placed near the back of your ear... but I don't know how effective it is. I usually take a "Gravol" or a "Dramamine" and then I'm ok.

3. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Stunt Coordinator

My mom wore the bands when we went on a cruise to the Caribbean about 15 years ago. She claimed they kept her from getting seasick, as she did on a cruise many years earlier. Maybe it was all just in her head--but who cares as long as it worked, hm?

4. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Yeah the bands have these hard plasic nubs that put pressure on the inside of your wrist.. it somehow prevents motion sickness...

I got a pair on a cruise, it seemed ot work... Placebo? Possibly...

5. Peter Yee

Peter Yee Stunt Coordinator
    Supporter

I tried a set of these bands when I went SCUBA diving. Unfortunately, they didn't help in preventing me from feeling nauseous. Perhaps they work for some folks.
    The patches you wear behind your ears are scopolamine. They used to go by the brand name Transderm Scop. Just checked. They still do. Find them here. Transderm Scop. I haven't used these -- they take a prescription. If I'm going to be doing boat diving in the future, I might consider them.
    -Peter
    PS I get a bit dizzy and lightheaded playing 3-D video games. My solution? Take a break.

6. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

which bands do you mean? there's a couple, there are the plastic ones that put pessure on the bottom of your wrist, and there are also electric ones that resemble a watch and have a couple electrodes on the bottom, those are fairly spendy ($150 range i think..)

don't know how well either works though

7. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I will try the bands though, the cheap kind.

~T

8. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    My mom wears the less expensive ones with the plastic nubs in them. They seem to work well with her. They were also recommended by her doctor to reduce the effects of motion sickness.