Motion Sensor Floodlights

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Jay Taylor, Aug 20, 2004.

1. Jay Taylor

Jay Taylor Supporting Actor

Our neighbor has motion sensor floodlights mounted on her home near a tree and aimed directly towards our home. So if my friends and I are outside enjoying the lakeshore at night, every time the wind blows or a bug flies in front of the sensor we get blinded. Meanwhile the owner of the floodlights is inside her home oblivious to it all.

These things light up hundreds of times each night when there’s a breeze. Since none of the neighbors have had a nighttime burglary in recent years, I estimate that this homeowner has had literally tens of thousands of false alarms without a single valid lighting of the floodlights.

We had a similar problem at our last residence. Mainly with moths flying in front of the sensor.

Motion sensor floodlights may make for good commercials but as Jay Leno says; we should call them by their real name: Neighbor Torture Device.

Anyone else have a problem with these things?

2. Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun Screenwriter

Out of curiosity, have you spoken to them about it?

3. Jay Taylor

Yes, at both residences. The floodlights she has may be turned off with an inside switch. She turned them off for a few days then turned them back on.

At our previous residence our neighbors were on our 4-person chair-swing/gazebo and facing their floodlights. Without our saying anything, they noticed themselves how irritating it was every time a moth flew in front of the sensor. So we added that the lights go on and off like that all night. The lights are on the side of the house where they can’t see the light from inside their house.

So without our asking, they turned the floodlights off for a few days. But then they turned them back on again. We were moving so we didn’t say anything else about the lights.

4. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Usually they have a sensitivity adjustment which could cut down on false lighting due to wind. You should offer to fix it for them.

-V

5. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Screenwriter

I've never had a problem with these (as I have them on either side of our house) until about a month ago, when our neighbour across the way put one on his house, pointing it almost directly into our kitchen. I always made sure mine were pointing down at least.

6. Shayne Lebrun

Get a set of your own, point them right back, and put them on a) a timer so they're only active at night, then b) a light sensor, so that when the other set trips, yours shine right back.

7. Jay Taylor

Great idea Shayne!

Instead of using regular flood lights I'll aim a couple of these at each of her windows:

The Dominator

I wonder if she saw the movie Close Encounters of the Third Kind?

8. Shayne Lebrun

Some times, people just don't realize what's rude until it's done right back to them.

9. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

Sounds like a simple matter of sensitivity and/or aiming.

I've got a motion-light on the back of my house. I don't want it to tick off the neighbours, so I took the time to aim it properly. The lights are pointed downwards, to light my deck with mostly indirect spillage past the deck. The lights don't come on unless someone actually gets pretty close to the deck...like up to the first step on the staircase.

Offer to pace out and aim it for them. [​IMG] Maybe that'll help? If they can't aim it with more precision, how about sensitivity?

10. Jay Taylor

Another pet peeve occurs when a family decides to move to the country to get back to nature and enjoy things like the beautiful night sky full of stars.

Then the first thing they do is have the power company install sodium or mercury vapor lights that are on all night without an off switch!

I can understand the need to light up the area when needed but the electric companies install the lights without an off switch so the homeowners have lost their view of the stars before they’ve moved in.

A better option is to install the lights yourself or have your homebuilder install them with an on/off switch.

11. JamieD

JamieD Supporting Actor

Pellet/bb guns are your friend.

12. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Screenwriter

Shane, that's pretty much what I did. After a couple nights of his shining right into my house, I re-aimed my own to shine directly at his house. I know, it's just fighting fire with fire, but it sure is satisfying.

13. Claude M

Claude M Stunt Coordinator

what everbody said and she might not have the right lamps in it. she should point them towards the path she needs to light and use spot lights (not the wide angle flood) of less wattage.

14. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

This reminds me sort of a road trip I had with a friend about 8-10 years ago...

I stopped by a friend's house to drop off some tools I borrowed from him, by coincidence he just got back bar hopping with some other friends and was pretty drunk. In a moment of drunken stupidity he wanted to drive his bike (motorcycle), at night, in potential rain (it was raining on/off at the time), and this wasn't a short trip (he wanted to take a 90 mile trip one way, to crash at his girlfriend's house to be with his kid the next morning). Since I couldn't talk him out of this I volunteered to drive him there and drop him off to make certain he'd make it there safely without any legal consequences.

While driving on this trip we went thru a construction zone that narrowed the road down to one lane with a speed limit of 40 mph. I was driving 55 mph since I was the lead car and could drive with my brights on when this car pulled up to tailgate me with it's brights on (thus starting to affect my vision from his ambiant light being thrown back from my front windshield) and his constant honking. At this time I was a Pizza delivery driver and had a 2 million candle watt powered search light that was always in the car which I handed to my snoozing friend to "discretely" aim at the driver's side of the other vehicle. Next thing I know the person final turned down their brights and stopped tailgaiting me...

The moral of the story... sometimes a person must give the other party a taste of their own medicine before they will respect you, after all respect must be earned. I would advise that you should maybe for the interest of peace ask the neighbor to adjust the lights but if they don't then get a bigger, meaner, nastier, and more precisely aimed light and annoy them more than they annoy you.