Mothman Prophecies: Bad News

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by PaulP, Mar 18, 2002.

1. PaulP

PaulP Producer

Just read on DVDFile that "The Mothman Prophecies" DVD that's coming soon will not feature deleted scenes and director's commentary anymore. What a bummer! I was really looking forward to these, especially the commentary. Hopefully, there will be a Special Edition.

2. Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D Cinematographer

I'm sure there will be a special edition. Look what happened with The Sixth Day and The Replacement Killers. Columbia is doing me a favour by not releasing SE's of The Mothman Prophecies and Ali. I can now put that money toward actual special editions from Universal or FOX (Legend:UE and From Hell:Special Edition).[​IMG] As far as I'm concerned, they can keep doing this...I'll save more money that way.[​IMG]

3. YANG

YANG Second Unit

If you guys remember a news report several weeks ago about special edition treatment to DVD releases that adds more cost to the production...What i am afraid is the M.P maybe th first victim of this...

4. luke cav

luke cav Stunt Coordinator

there is meant to be a special editon release in the autumn:-

info taken from r2-dvd.org:-

You may have read on U.S sites that the R1 release of "The Mothman Prophecies" will now be a plain affair for it's June release. This will feature only a music video and trailers. We can however reveal that a release in the fall will feature an audio commentary with director Mark Pellington, two making-of featurettes, Mothman Documentary, "LOW" music video, cast interviews (EPK footage) deleted scenes with optional commentary, filmographies and trailers. This release will feature David Grabias' "Search for the Mothman." This doc, of course, contains lots of archival footage, many actual witness interviews, as well as those two guys, John Keel and Loren Coleman talking about Mothman.

Looks like its worth waiting for the special edition.

5. Malcolm Cleugh

Malcolm Cleugh Second Unit

There is another interesting comment about this on r2-dvd.org following on from Luke's comments saying is this a rental window by stealth. Both Ali and Mothman get plain releases at standard retail price (keeps the renters happy) but then approx 6 months later a special edition is released at a similar price. This could be restricted to popular titles only and also gets some people buying the disk twice, if you're not prepared to wait.

6. Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball Screenwriter

Loren Coleman definitely has some interesting things to say about this topic. He is an adjunct professor at the University of Southern Maine, where I work. I've worked with him before on classes dealing with documentary filmmaking. I know he did a lot of promotional things that tie in with the movie. It would be nice to see some of it included in a SE.

7. Jason Hughes

Jason Hughes Supporting Actor

Jason Hughes
    Has there been any further confirmation of an R1 specical edition of Mothman?

I wish Columbia would let us know now, lik they did with Black Hawk Down.

Incidentally, I doubt there will ever be a special edition of Ali, as Michael Mann does not like extras...

8. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

9. Randy B A

Randy B A Supporting Actor

I will put that one on the back burner for a while. however it does smell like a rental window. I for one do not rent DVDs. for one reason is i do not go to BB or hollywood video. the other reason is i do not like others getting thier prints all over a DVD that i want to watch.

10. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton
    Just wanted to say that i watched this film tonight and thought it was really good. I rented it so i hopee they do release a R1 special edition later this year. I would like to see those extras mentioned above. It was a strange movie but i enjoyed it. The tranfer looked good on my 16x9 tv and the 5.1 DD mix was excellent with good action in the surrounds and some good lfe on occasion. Definetly worth a rental.

11. Justin_S

Justin_S Producer

I bought the DVD, because I love this film so very much that I didn't feel like waiting longer to own it. I will happily rebuy this excellent film when the SE comes out, but it pisses me off that they didn't put the bloody extras on this release! [​IMG] I am very familiar with the Mothman legend, and this film captures many (but not all) of the aspects perfectly. This is my second favorite film to come out so far this year (after FRAILTY), and I really want thatr SE now, but oh well. At least I already have the documentary from the FX channel taped.

12. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

I enjoyed the movie, though I thought going in it would suck, as it obviously didn't follow the book which has been one of my favorites of the genre for years. The movie maintained a sense of dread and Richard Gere was surprisingly effective as John Klein. Well worth a rental, but I'll wait to see if a SE comes out later, like I did for MEMENTO.

13. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

I truly didn't expect much from this given the terrible reviews and the fact it disappeared from theaters in about 20 minutes.

But I was at Best Buy and the MPAA rating "PG-13 for Terror" intrigued me....I've never seen that one before. I popped it in and received a hugely pleasant surprise. I don't think I've been this downright scared by a movie since I was a little kid! Even when I went to bed I still had the willies.

A marvelous sound design definitely helps keep the viewer on edge. There are some nifty digital fades that also heighten the discomfort level. Unfortunately, there's a ton of edge enhancement with massive rings around everything with any contrast at all. The picture does feature the best performance I've ever seen out of Richard Gere---finally out of pretty boy stuck on himself mode.

It's just a shame that the picture made itself an object of derision with its notorious Chap Stick trailer.....almost seems calculated to cut off its own box office.

14. sean_dietz

sean_dietz Agent

I watched it last night for the first time.
    Excellent use of sound to keep me tense and waiting
    for something to happen. That and the fact that it
    was storming and lightning out helped too. [​IMG]
    When the SE version comes out, I will have to check
    out the documentaries.
    Justin, to save me some time Googling the net,
    do you have or know of any websites with info on the Mothman legend?
    Sean

15. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

Interesting, so now we have to check the weather forecast to aid in the movie viewing experience. [​IMG]
    Seriously though, weren't you afraid of a lightning strike damaging your equipment.

16. David Lawrence

David Lawrence Stunt Coordinator

I saw this at the cinema and found it quite disquieting; I'm waiting for the eventual SE though, since I figure this could have some very interesting extras.

I'd like to see "Frailty" too, although I suspect DVD will be the first chance I get to see it; I very much doubt it'll be on at any cinema near me, unfortunately.

17. sean_dietz

sean_dietz Agent

John,

18. Justin_S

Justin_S Producer

19. Matt Parsons

Matt Parsons Stunt Coordinator

Mark - I'm with you, i just finished watching it and for a movie I didn't have great expectations for, it really freaked me out! I really enjoyed it. Now if I can only fall asleep tonight.....

20. Jeff Pryor

Jeff Pryor Supporting Actor

I just popped this one into my DVD player last nite and was hooked from the first 10 minutes. Great, creepy flick! I will certainly pick up an SE release.