What's new

Motherboards with built in DD/DTS (1 Viewer)

Martice

Screenwriter
Are there any motherboards that have built in DD/DTS? If so, are there any obvious pros & cons going this route that are not so obvious to me?

Thanks

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor
There are motherboards that have built-in sound with DD capabilities. Nvidia Nforce based motherboards spring to mind.
EDIT: Here's a link about the Nforce chipset's audio capabilities. Link
It mentions DD 5.1 encoding, but nothing about DTS. I assume it still has the capability to output a DTS bitstream (?)

Bryan

Stunt Coordinator
Soyo has a P4S (I think the P4I has it too) Dragon that has digital in and out. I haven't gotten the machine built all the way yet, but the reviews on it are great.
Rememmber, those reviewers may not be like us. Sound to them may not be the same to us.
"Supports 4/5/5.1 speakers and DLS based wave table music. Also provides professional SPDIF IN/OUT non-distortion digital interface"
I probably won't use it either as I already have a 5.1 system (SBLive! w/DTT2200) in another computer and got an Audigy for this one that I will end up putting a new speaker set on. Maybe move the older setup upstairs for surround sound when I watch ST:TNG on DVD. ;)

Jeremy-P

Stunt Coordinator
The newest versions of both powerdvd and windvd have software DTS decoding, which should work fine as long as your processor is up to it.

Martice

Screenwriter
Is Power DVD a software program or a sound card? If it's a software product, would all I need is a sound card that would pass a uninterrupted digital signal? I plan to ultimately use my Pre/Pro to decode my DD/DTS signals. Would I be off track or right on?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks