What's new

Motherboard Advice (1 Viewer)

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam
Hey guys.

I'm coming into some money soon and am going to upgrade my computer. Last night I found out something a little discouraging and had to rethink what i was going to buy. Originally I had planned to buy a Abit AA8Durmax board, but realized last night my AGP video card will not work. The price of this new computer is already getting higher than I want, so getting a new card is not an option. So intead I will have to settle on another, "lesser" board, and it's with this that I need the advice.

I know I want a Abit board, that's about the only thing I am sure of unless there exists a 925 chipset board with a AGP port. Anyway the 2 I have in mind are either the IC7-G or the AS-8 3rd Eye. My question is which one is better? The IC7-G has a newer (at least I think) chipset, the 875p, but the board takes an older 478 socket Pentium. The other board has the 865PE chipset, but takes the new 775 chip. What I need to know is what are the pros and cons of these boards? Would I be better of getting a board that supports the newer Pentium chips, or is the newer chipset going to be more of value? Both boards take up to a Pentium 3.6 but Im probably going to get around a 3.2, for either board a choose. The board with the newer chipset but older processorr slot costs more, which makes me think it's superior but I know I cant really go by that.

I am a very very occational gamer, but do have some good looking games, like Unreal Tourney 2004. This computer is mainly for school though, and largly for computer animation so that will be it's main function.

Thank you for any input.

Adam

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks