motherboard, add-on PCI card, or onboard RAID

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Hugh M, Feb 23, 2002.

1. Hugh M

Hugh M Second Unit

Hi,

I'm ready to go with a I845D chipset motherboard and an Intel 1.6A chip to overclock to 2.13GHZ with 133FSB. Sounds pretty easy to do.

anyways, my purchase decision is hinging on whether or not to get a motherboard which has onboard RAID or one without. I won't be using the RAID but with three HDs and one DVDrom to attach I could definitely use 4 channels all connected as master. It makes it much easier to get a smooth system, and faster too. So does a PCI add-on card work just as well? and are the drivers with those cards, just as much hassle as onboard RAID drivers are?

2. Hugh M

Hugh M Second Unit

I think I just answered my question, sort of.

I ordered the Asus P4B266-C motherboard. I'll be using the three HDs and one DVD drive on two channels. If that seems to create any problems I'll get an add-on PCI card.

I would still be interested in anyone's opinions on the subject. Especially since I may be adding a PCI Controller Card.

for those interested there are some very nice options available for Intel P4 based DDR motherboards. The I845D chipset is the common thread among most of these boards. The Abit BD7-RAID and the ASUS P4B266 are pretty much the frontrunners. The Asus P4B266-C is available at newegg.com for $117 and with a 1.6A P4 for $150 its pretty easy to overclock this to 2.13Ghz just by changing the FSB to 133Mhz. So this is where I was. Three hard drives and one DVD and two nice boards to choose from. Chose the Asus basic model because its the simplest one, and who the heck can keep track of what different options you'll want or need in the future.

3. Pete Mazz

Pete Mazz Supporting Actor

I have a Promise Technology PCI card. Supports ATA 100 with 2 IDE channels. Never had a hiccup since its been installed.

Pete

4. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

If you're just looking to add IDE channels, you can pick up a controller card for $20 or less (Promise and Highpoint are good brands). They work very nicely; their only downside is that they take up a PCI slot.