What's new

Mother, Jugs & Speed; One Million Years B.C.; Bandolero; Myra Breckinridge due in March (1 Viewer)

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Fox will release a box set of sex symbol icon Raquel Welch flicks on March 9, 2004 for $49.98 and all titles will be available singularly for $14.98 a pop.

Titles are the Harryhausen prehistoric adventure One Million Years BC, the infamous Myra Breckendridge with Mae West, the comedy Mother, Jugs And Speed will Bill Cosby and Harvey Keitel and the western Bandolero with James Stewart and Dean Martin!

This is per DVD Planet's website.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I never thought I'd see the day when Myra Breckinridge would be on DVD. And with two audio commentaries!

I'll probably pick it up to enjoy in all its, ahem, "glory."

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
As usual, DVDfile ignorantly generalizes way too much as when referring to Bandolero and Mother, Jugs And Speed as camp as they are anything but. I doubt they've ever even seen these films.

Myra Breckenridge is indeed camp but wonderfully, hilariously intentionally so and hopefully this DVD release will do something to restore its reputation. Hopefully, the film is in its uncut X rated version, at least in 1970, it was X rated. I suspect it might be R rated by today's standards though the graphic male rape is still pretty shocking but Deliverance got away with it.

The commentary by both Welch and director Sarne on Myra should be full of interesting anecdotes as supposedly this was one of the most volatile of sets especially between Mae West and Welch.

I have a widescreen laser disc of One Million Years BC but the other Welch films never saw the light of day on laser disc so I'm looking forward to them.

Rick P

Supporting Actor
Mother!

allright... and widescreen to boot (was tickled when this showed on Starz recently and started out in widescreen.. then right after the credits switched to crop/chop)

Mark Tay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
Hopefully, ONE MILLION YEARS B.C. is the original British release of the film runs at 100 minutes (while the US version only runs 91 minutes). Or better yet include both versions.
The difference in running time isn't simply because the film was cut to a shorter running time. Much of the first half of the film was re-edited and sequences appear in different order in the two versions. The much more effective of the two version is the longer British version.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
I'm just floored that Mother, Jugs, and Speed will be on DVD. Wish they could have got a Bill Cosby interview or something on their. :D

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Fear not - the laser disc of ONE MILLION YEARS B.C. from Fox was the 100-minute edition (though the VHS was 91 min), so I'd say there's almost no chance they'd put the shorter version on DVD. They'd never hear the end of it.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
Hopefully they'll use the uncut British version of B.C. that they put on LD a few years ago.

The VHS versions are the more familiar (to me) shorter US version.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I think I'll be getting the box set. Ditto the Hannie Caulder question - wait a minute, Hannie Caulder is on DVD?

Claude North

Second Unit
I am absolutely THRILLED that MYRA BRECKINRIDGE is being released on DVD, and that the disc will include a nice assortment of extras. It's definitely not as bad as people claim, and Raquel Welch is quite good in the title role.

If I'm not mistaken, this DVD will be the first time that MB has been released on home video since its release on Magnetic Video way back in the early days of VHS. (My local video store still has a copy!)

By the way, I believe that KANSAS CITY BOMBER was an MGM release. Whether MGM retained the rights, or if they were transferred to Warners, I don't know.

(And in response to Thomas T's comments, I feel that the word 'camp' is entirely overused these days. If something is slightly dated or does not embody trendy, smug irony, then it is dismissed as camp. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before someone labels CITIZEN KANE as camp...)

But "Bravo" to Fox for what promises to be a fine presentation of one of the 1970s most notorious films!

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
i would also like to see Paramount release Hannie Caulder, but it isn't on dvd now.

and you can count me in for a release of W.W. & The Dixie Dancekings (like that would happen).
i loved this film when i was a kid and would love to see it again now OAR.

i can't help but view fans of MB as being very lucky.
that is, without a doubt, one of the worst films i've ever seen.
excrutiatingly bad.
even Rex Reed who gave a great performance in Superman is hard to watch here without squirming in your seat.
this film is right up there with The Tenant another film that surprises me it has a fan base, and really surprises me that the studio expects to make money on it.

maybe someday, earlier (pre rug) Burt Reynolds films will be more appreciated and we will actually see WW&TDD.
releases like Myra Breckenridge at least give me hope ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks