What's new

Mother-in-law’s TV (1 Viewer)

Cameron_Peck

Stunt Coordinator
My Mother-in-law has an old TV that resets itself whenever there is a power failure. Even if the power just flashes. Her cable box needs to have the TV on channel 4 but the TV resets to channel 2 and does not know that there any other channels. When this happens, I have to go over and reset her TV. She wants to buy a new TV so I am asking if any of you can point me in the right direction. She needs a medium sized TV that does not reset after a power failure and it must be user friendly. Can you make some suggestions? Thanks.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
By midsize, what are you thinking about? A 27-inch direct-view set? Also, what kind of budget are we looking at?

Cameron_Peck

Stunt Coordinator
The set she is replacing is about 30” or so. She does not have a particular budget in mind. She is willing to pay for the convenience of being able to watch what she wants, when she wants.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
If she's that willing, then we should consider an HD-capable set. There are 27-inch models in the MSRP range of $600-$700, and deals can be found. Then you have to educate her about DVD as well.

Cameron_Peck

Stunt Coordinator
I think an HD-capable set would be great but I’m concerned that they would be to cumbersome for her to use. Are there HD-capable sets that are simple to operate?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Well, all TV menu systems eventually become simple to operate, once the user becomes familiar with them. If she knows how to, say, fire up a computer, there should be no problems whatsoever. If not, then it seems that some gentle coaching on your part will be more than enough tutoring. Just tell her it is good that knob-style channel selectors and volume controls are a thing of the past.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Well let me add that if she's happy with the set she has you might want to get her a Remote Control that has Macros in it & then Program it so whenever the power goes off all she has to do is is push "One Button" on the "Macro" Remote which will set everything back to the way you had it set. If your thinking of going HDTV take a look at the new 32" & 30" Sanyo sets at Wal-Mart that have a Built-In HDTV Tuner & the new HDMI Input that are going for $747 & getting some pretty good reviews over at www.avsforun.com & Wal-Mart has a Great Return Policy so if you din't like it, it can be returned.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks