What's new

Mother 1&2 (and 3) for GBA-will we see them here? (1 Viewer)

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
I was reading about the Japanese release of Mother 1&2 for GBA, and that the development of Mother 3 has been shifted to the GBA as well (I think that this was originally a 64DD, and then an N64 title). Just wondering if we'll ever see this cart in North America.

I'm guessing that Mother is the original NES game that was never released here (even though they had it translated and ready) and that Mother 2 is the SNES Earthbound. This was a fun little RPG, and I wouldn't mind playing the original on something other than an emulator.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I'm guessing that Mother is the original NES game that was never released here (even though they had it translated and ready) and that Mother 2 is the SNES Earthbound
You got it.

I'm not sure if Mother 3 will be the same as the 64DD version would have been, but even so, I doubt we'll see M3 over here or a long time. Mother 1 and 2 will be more likely, seeing as how the GBA can make just about any old Nintendo game sell well.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Well, I really can't see the 64DD version making the transition to the GBA. I remember that at the time they wanted to do a whole "perpetual world" thing where the game would keep going when you're not playing (sort of like Animal Crossing) that would depend on the 64DDs internal clock. Not sure if they'd manufacture a special cart for the game or not, but regardless I don't think that all of the game's proposed features will make it over intact.

Since Mother 1 and 2 have both been localized already however, a North American release shouldn't be all that hard really. As long as the original translations are up to snuff (I don't remember them being that bad), there should only be minimal localization. Of course, you have to figure out how to market "earthbound zero" to people who have no idea what's going on, but that's another problem. There are so few people who remember Earthbound that they might just try to pass it off as a new game.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks