Most Xbox games Antialiased?!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by NickSo, Nov 19, 2001.

1. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    I just watched The Screen Savers, and they were going over the GCN and the Xbox, and they said the Xbox's Geforce 3 could easily antialias the video at 640x480 without any slowdown or reduced graphics quality.

Is this true? Because i heard that so far, no game console has the power to antialias their games during gameplay...

if its true that Xbox's Geforce3 can indeed Antialias all video at 640x480 (NTSC Resolution, though interlaced), that would be sweet...

2. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

Yep, the XGPU which is a GeFORCE3 variant can do AA really easy, especially QuinxAA or whatever the hell nVidia calls it.

3. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Wow. but then whats with all the jaggies i saw in PGR?!
    [​IMG]
    If it is indeed all antialiased, then how come nobody talks about it? I mean, hello, jaggy-free gaming?! Crazy...

4. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Halo doesn't do AA either. Bummer.

5. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Huh? Halo isn't anti aliased? It sure looks like it is.

GCN does it too. Only Sony failed to leave this feature up to crafty coders.

6. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

PC cards have had the FSAA fuction for a little while now. GeForce2 and Voodoo 4 could do it.

There was AA in N64s and Voodoo2s, just not quite the same thing.

7. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

To be fair, Sony do have hardware AA in the PS2, but its been misfeatured; it only works if you hand over the scene to the 3d card in the correct poly order if memory serves. Since ordering your polys is more hard work most of the time than doing a cheap version of AA nobody bothers with it though.

8. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

It's possible that Halo AAs the player models, monsters, and vehicles, but the actual level geometry (such as bridges and so forth) are not. Just watch the cut scenes (which are realtime rendered) and you'll notice the jaggies!

9. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

Got the HDAV pack last night, there are a lot less jaggies using the Component cable. BTW Dolby Digital 5.1 Halo rocked mine, my girlfriends, and my weiner dogs socks off last night.