Most Wanted: Center Channel Stand

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Will.MA, Dec 30, 2004.

1. Will.MA

Will.MA Stunt Coordinator

[​IMG]

I have shopped around online for nearly a week for a similar product as that in the picture without success. Does anyone have an idea about the manufacturer of this fine speaker stand?

I wouldn't mind owning the center channel either, but unfortunately, that expense is not in my budget right now [​IMG]

Edit: I'm a doofist. Right after I posted I went to the Aerial Acoustics website. It turns out the stand is available for purchase from *AA* for a whopping $800. No way would I ever dream of such a purchase so if anyone has seen something *similar* please let me know.

2. Geo Gabor

Geo Gabor Stunt Coordinator

Will - I'm also currently in the market for a center stand. I checked out the Aerial website; it seems to me that that stand is the one pictured with the CC3B (although it's probably very similar to the CC5 stand). The CC3B stand is only $400 - a veritable bargain compared to $800! Anyway, there's a dealer here in town, so I might stop by today and see if they have one in stock. It's a slick-looking stand, no doubt about it!

3. MikeGee

MikeGee Second Unit

damn 400-800$ is such a rip off for somthing like that tho seriously. Its not hard to make somthing like that yourself. In fact you could probably even improve upon the design. Is the rack where the center channel sits flexible? like can it be angled up or down?

4. Geo Gabor

Geo Gabor Stunt Coordinator

I checked out the Aerial retailer here in town - just a small specialty audio store, really. They didn't have that particular stand in stock, but they had another Aerial stand, and it's a pretty heavy-duty piece of work. Probably not worth $400 though! [​IMG] The guy there actually quoted $250 - still a bit steep. Oh - one other thing he mentioned...the stands are built specifically for their own speakers. Which means that yours may or may not fit the way it should.

Mike - I don't know about angling, but the speaker does seem to sit at an angle on the stand. I don't know if that angle is adjustable.

5. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

you can always go to soundanchors.com and have them custom build a stand for you. granted, it's not gonna be cheap either, but nothing custom made ever is.

kevin t

6. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

height requirement?

7. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

Here's an old pick of my center channel mounted in front of my TV. All I used was some wooden speaker stands(may have been B-Tech), with the center posts cut to size. Then I used some door handle stoppers under the front to angle the speaker upto the listening area. Worked like a charm.

[​IMG]

Kevin

8. MikeGee

MikeGee Second Unit

damn kevin, that setup looks amazing. Very nice stand for the center channel. I know for myself i'm just going to either mount mine on top of my tv (until i get my LCD) then i'll make my own stand cause I have all the tools and am decent at building stuff. (off topic but what guage wire is that you were running? looks huuge)

~mike

9. Will.MA

Kevin W: very nice setup, indeed. I have a large breed dog that LOVES to stand in front of the TV when I watch movies (Bullmastiff) so I have to be sure that the stand I use can take a bump or two without humpty-dumpty falling down. How sturdy is your two-stand approach? Would it withstand a clumsy nudge from, say, a toddler?

Kevin T: Custom-order may be the only way to obtain a product of similar build quality without bucking up an arm & leg for a genuine *AA* stand. My wife would throw a hissy-fit if she thought I was considering $800 for a stand in my dreams.

Geo: Although I must admit, if I had an opportunity to get my hands on one for $250, as ridiculous as it seems for a working-man to spend 250 green backs on a speaker stand, I probably would jump on it.

Thanks for all the input Gents.

10. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

Thanks for the compliments. The setup definitely sounds as good as it looks. It has undergone some major hardware changes as well as the center channel going back above the tv. Just worried too much that it was going to be bumped by someone getting up while watching a movie and trying to walk past it. Not to mention I got a couple new kittens. Will.MA the stands should be able to take a bump of two, not to mention the center is kinda heavy and the white spongey door stops do have some what off a non slippy surface. So it should take a decent jolt before things come tumbling down. I just don't want to get to that point either, so up the center channel went back above the tv. I already had a tv wall mount attached to the wall behind the tv since I had my center up above before I moved it too the floor. Here's a pick of my setup now(need a better camera)

[​IMG]

MikeGee, the speaker cable is AR Master Series 10AWG. I was able to get it from factorydirect.ca at a fraction of its original cost when FS used to sell it. I bi-amp my front Left/Right with it and single runs to the rest. Great thing able this copper/silvercopper wire is its all pre-cut to specific lengths(15ft front/center and 25ft rears) and is pre-terminated with banana's.

Kevin

11. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I'm using one of these for my center channel:

[​IMG]

Want the second one? Wanna see what my center looks like on it? Shoot me an email we can make a deal. Shipping + $9? It's sitting in my closet and has never even been assembled.

12. Will.MA

Kevin W, did you send your Rotel off to the pastures? It seems that you have a different amp/pre-pro setup in the newer pic than in the older. I'm considering either a Rotel 1095 or Parasound 2205AT (I don't care for the silver looks of the Halo line + a little too pricey for my tastes) as an upgrade for my setup so I'd be interested in hearing your reasons for sending it to retirement if you'd care to share.

13. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

OLD Pic out:

Rotel RMB-1095
    Yamaha RX-V1400(pre/pro)
    Monster HTS 5000mkII
    Paradigm Studio(v3) 20

NEW Pic in:

NAD S250
    Pioneer 56TXi
    Monster HTPS 7000.
    Paradigm ADP 470(can see in TV reflection)

You are correct the Rotel was sent out to pastures, only because I had an urge to get something different. Thats where the NAD S250 came in. The 1095 is a fine piece of equiment and made my speakers sing, but the NAD also does that even though its 75w per channel less. You may want to give the NAD a look especially since it can be had for $999US at www.saturdayaudio.com

Kevin

14. Felix_H

Felix_H Stunt Coordinator