1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

MOST WANTED: 1976-77, Robert Stack, Pre-Order Amazon

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Bob Gu, Mar 8, 2017.

1. RBailey

RBailey Second Unit

John Hall
    Today is my anniversary date of ordering MOST WANTED one year ago today on March 8, 2017. Hasn't been cancelled yet by Amazon.
    C'mon CBS! I'm turning 68 years old in a few months. Don't know how much longer I'll be able to hold out.

2. GMBurns

GMBurns Second Unit

Glenn
    Wow, I completely forgot that I had placed Most Wanted on pre-order myself about a year ago. What is this MOD program of CBS's? Wait around to see how many pre-orders Amazon collects and then decide if they will actually release the thing? Most unsatisfactory.

3. RBailey

RBailey Second Unit

John Hall
    My previous experience with CBS was in purchasing their complete series release of BEST OF THE WEST. I ordered the series on October 29, 2016. I received it on September 22, 2017. Not quite a year! Still hoping that MOST WANTED eventually makes it to a release date.

4. RBailey

RBailey Second Unit

John Hall
    Received an email alert from Amazon that my copy of the MOST WANTED series has shipped and will arrive Monday. However, when I pull it up on their website, it's still listed as "this title has not yet been released". Fingers crossed!

5. Flashgear

Flashgear Screenwriter

Randall
    Great to hear that John! I hope you post your impressions of Most Wanted...you know, if you actually receive it...I think we would all welcome your report about the quality of this set...thanks!

Jeff Flugel and Regulus like this.
  6. GMBurns

GMBurns Second Unit

Glenn
    My order is on its way also. I never saw that coming (no pun intended), but it will be nice to have the series at last. It's a heck of a way to run an MOD system....

7. Regulus

Regulus Cinematographer

William Hughes
    I plan to order this series in August. I don't pre-order anything. I once pre-ordered a computer game and it over a year to get it (It arrived in stores three months BEFORE I finally got my copy). :angry:

Jeff Flugel and Flashgear like this.
  8. RBailey

RBailey Second Unit

John Hall
    Received my copy of the MOST WANTED series today. I've watched the pilot episode (which was a 72 minute TV-movie) and Episode 1 of the actual series.
    I am by no means a real expert on video quality but these episodes have not been "cleaned up" or remastered. I'm comparing them to shows like "Mannix" and "Beverly Hillbillies"-style picture quality. The pilot movie looks nice but has some 'ghosting' effects. Very noticeable in dark scenes where there's a slight smearing when someone moves. The first episode of the actual series, "The Skykiller", looks much better with nice color. I spot checked Eps 2 and 3 and found that the color in Ep.2 is kind of flat looking but the third ep. looked better. The best way to explain this until someone with more knowledge checks in ... they remind me of watching syndicated TV shows on indie TV stations back in the '70s and '80s. Not pristine quality but very watchable.

As far as the show itself, I've enjoyed the first two. Robert Stack is a total bad-ass and it was fun to see Tom Selleck in the pilot movie. Selleck and Leslie Charleson appear in the pilot but not the series. Jo Ann Harris joins Stack and Shelly Novack in the series. Spotted Joyce DeWitt in a small part in the pilot and Carl Weathers appears in "The Skykiller" with the great Harris Yulin.

9. Flashgear

Flashgear Screenwriter

Randall
    Thanks John for that info, which is at least mostly encouraging about the video quality...if you have the time to do so, could you tell us the run times for the episodes as they are presented on this set? I'm assuming they are uncut?

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  10. RBailey

RBailey Second Unit

John Hall
    Had time to check Disc 1. The pilot as I mentioned above runs 72 minutes. Episodes 1, 2 and 3 all clock in at 50 minutes. The series episodes end with the Worldvision Enterprises (A Taft Company) logo complete with the small print below it saying "Not affiliated with World Vision International, a religious and charitable organization". I think that the syndicated episodes of "Streets of San Francisco" ended with that same logo as well.
    There's 5 discs with the pilot and 3 episodes on Disc1, 4 episodes on Disc 2 and 5 episodes on Discs 3, 4 and 5.

I'll check the other discs out later tonight if I can or early tomorrow.

11. Dave Lawrence

Dave Lawrence Supporting Actor

Dave
    John, thanks for providing some info about the set. It's reassuring that the episodes are clocking in at 50 minutes and not in the early/mid-40s.

I just received my shipping email from Amazon today and should (finally!) have my copy by Friday.

Flashgear likes this.
  12. RBailey

RBailey Second Unit

John Hall
    Checked out Disc 2 this morning. Watched Episode #5, "The Two Dollar Kidnapper". Great cast of Clu Gulager, E.J. Peaker, Harlee McBride, Thalmus Rasulala, Art Metrano and Rodney Allen Rippy. Good show but not-so-great image on this one. Lots of night scenes and the image is a little too dark for my liking...but as I said before, still watchable. It's fun to watch a show I missed on its original run.
    Length-wise, all episodes are at 50 minutes except for Episode 7, "The Heisman Killer" which clocks in at 48:30 or so. Haven't watched this one yet, but spotchecking shows a lot of location footage at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena.

Flashgear, Jeff Flugel and Bob Gu like this.
  13. GMBurns

GMBurns Second Unit

Glenn
    John, thanks for all the updates. My set arrives today and I am hoping to watch the pilot tonight. I am looking forward to viewing a series that I never saw before. I love the original Untouchables so I am sure I will enjoy Robert Stack in this role. I'm glad to hear the episodes are full-length; that's more important to me than pristine picture quality. Enjoy!

Flashgear, Jeff Flugel and Bob Gu like this.