Most user friendly 5.1 receiver for technically impaired

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by chris larralde, Jan 29, 2002.

1. chris larralde

chris larralde Stunt Coordinator

Fortunately that's not me [​IMG]
    But I'm buying one for a friend (spending his money) and I need a quality receiver that is idiot proof and very user friendly. He won't be able to figure out 6.1 so that's not a requirement.
    I'm thinking of something like the NAD for quality and simplicity. He's using it in a room that's 13X20, so wussy receivers need not apply [​IMG]
    Any other suggestions??
    chris

2. EricHaas

EricHaas Supporting Actor

Onkyo TX-ds696 if you want a quality receiver that is 5.1 and user friendly. The Onkyo line has good remotes and a very intuitive interface. The 696 has plenty of power. It will run $600 from an authorized dealer (JandR). Alternatively, you can get the 595 (also from JandR) for $375. The difference between the two is power and preouts primarily, and possibly component switching. I'd tell him to stay away from Denon and Yamaha if he is technically challenged. I am kind of a newbie, and my Denon 3801 which I just got is quite a challenge for me right now. Great receiver, but a lot of ramp up time.

3. Shad R

Shad R Supporting Actor

sure...for you "FRIEND" eh??? I would like to wish your "friend" good luck..hehe

4. chris larralde

chris larralde Stunt Coordinator

LOL!!
    Honest, it is for a friend! [​IMG]

5. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    I suggest setting it up for your friend, regardless of what you buy.
    I've got the Onkyo 696, and while the instruction manual and menu system is fairly well designed, I still found it quite complicated.
    This was my first new receiver since an older Pro-Logic Onkyo. I'm not intimidated by technology, and know my way around computers and consumer electronics quite well. But the complexity of all the new features took me aback (Digital input, speaker distances, video-out for on-screen display, etc) It took me a good hour to figure it out.
    My mom could not have done this (she's a Luddite [​IMG] ) and my dad would have had more trouble, and he's a tech-savvy guy.
    If your friend is technology impaired, help him set it up, and get the remote programmed. And write out a cheat-sheet for how to work stuff.
    To the average joe, this stuff is pretty complex.