Most Underrated Music Acts - Present Your Arguments

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Tinglin, Dec 14, 2001.

1. Chris Tinglin

This guy gets waay too much flak for being good-lookin' and "derivative", but I think rocker L. Kravitz should get more props than he seems to get.
    First off, nobody but nobody is completely original anyway. Alright, there are degrees to be sure, but as long as they're not doing cover songs, the music has to be judged on it's own merits, no? Who cares if the tunes have a somewhat Beatles-esque vibe? He's not pretending to be an incarnation of any of 'em. As for good looks, hey, they never hurt B. Spears, NSync, or J. Bon Jovi did they?
    Good tunes iz just good tunes!
    So let's hear it for Lenny - Hip, hip...![*crickets chirping*] [​IMG]

2. Jeff_A

Jeff_A Screenwriter

Chris,
    For the longest time I thought I was the only person on earth that enjoyed his 1989 release, Let Love Rule. Hence, he was very much under-appreciated at that time. Since the release of Are You Gonna Go My Way, I believe the perception has changed dramatically. He has definately arrived. [​IMG]

3. Chris Tinglin

Jeff,
    Much thanks for the support, but I still mean what I say. I wasn't really going for barely known music acts. The aim is to put down the name of an act that you think should somehow be bigger than it is today.
    Now I know Len's doing very well for himself, but I don't (for example) see anyone running around w/ Kravitz t-shirts or anything. Lenny, imho, is a big, big star.
    For my next act, I'd like to nominate...? (damnit, this is harder than i thought [​IMG] )

4. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    I thought "5" was fairly forgettable and even though I have his new one, I really haven't listened to it. I like his earlier stuff and the "derivitive" comments irritate me.
    I think Jewel gets way too much crap. To me, she is a genuine musician. I'll take someone who can sit solo on stage with a guitar any day. It's nice to know there are still some commercially viable musicians who don't come with eight semis of equipment.
    Last is Peter Gabriel. For me, his music is like pizza and sex. When it is good, it is very good and when it is bad it is still pretty good. I recently got his British import OVO, (check out the thread in "music") and even at $30 it is one of the best music purchases I have made in some time