Most spent on one platform!

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Brae, Jan 8, 2003.

1. Brae

Brae Supporting Actor

Ok, I thought I would try to research a little and see what some of you are spending on the extreme side of the wallet. Please tell me what platform caused you to spend the most money for the console, controllers, adapters, mods, etc., but do not include the cost of games!

Also, if you could separate your initial cost for the console from the rest of the not-includes junk I'd really appreciate it! Some of you got lucky and got the console as a gift, so please then do not include this in what you spent collectively and to date not including those games.

2. Romar Armas

Romar Armas Second Unit

SEGA Dreamcast no doubt.
    Picked up the Console, Extra controller and 3 games on 9/9/99.
    Currently, I have around 50 games bought at full price with around 10 of them imported from Japan.
    I picked up 2 Millennium Controllers (Blue and Gray), Steering Wheel, Fishing Rod Controller, 2 Guns, Keyboard and Mouse, Broadband Adaptor , and last but not least, Virtua ON Twinsticks.
    I also have the Microphone which came with the Seaman game.
    If anyone out there has the Maracas from SEGA for Samba De Amigo for sale. Please let me know!!! I want it for sure!
    After the DC, I got the Xbox.
    I got the Xbox in December last year at full price which came with Halo. I picked up DOA3 with it.
    Now, I have 20 games, 2 original controllers, 2 S controllers and the DVD Playback Kit. Also got the HD Pack.
    Still debating if I want to cought the dough for Steel Battallion. But my wife will probably beat me up if I do so I won't. [​IMG]

3. BrianB

BrianB Producer

For the Dreamcast:

200 - 1 new DC console
    180 - 2 x official maracas
    30 - 3 x VMU (rest are gifts)
    15 - 2 x Madkatz light guns
    10 - 1 x fishing rod (s/h)
    15 - 1 x extra official controller (rest are gifts)
    20 - 1 x Agetec arcade stick
    20 - 1 x imitation ASCII fighting pad
    50 - 1 x BBA
    10 - 1 x official keyboard
    20 - 1 x SVideo lead
    15 - 1 x RGB SCART lead

Approximately $600 total, inc machine. Does not include second machine + accessories that were Christmas gifts from family. My Playstation gear could probably compete with that figure as my Net Yaroze cost a good chunk of cash.

Actually, thinking about it, the Saturn beats it. It was $600 new (including a bundle of three or so games, from memory). So add in a couple of controllers, multitap & RF unit over the lifetime of my machine, plus the cost of modding it, it'll beat that approximate DC value. Oh the joy of $1 == 1 ukp.

4. Dean Cooper

Dean Cooper Supporting Actor

Well I was going to say my NeoGeo Gold system that cost me a cool 1K to get new in 91, but now that I’ve added up everything for my Xbox I have a new winner. I got the system on launch with a DVD remote, 4 controllers, a wheel, HD kit, and a $140 Live beta kit (after the shipping) comes to a total of $1070 after tax.

Dean

5. BrianB

BrianB Producer

That's Canadian $, right?

6. Dean Cooper

Dean Cooper Supporting Actor

Oh! yeah I guess I should of said [​IMG]

7. Kris Coffin

Kris Coffin Stunt Coordinator

Playstation 2

I was one of the people who had to have one at release, but when EB got short shipped, I got screwed. So I found a guy selling one in the paper for $750 cnd, add on a memory card, second joystick, and some decent cables I hit close to $900. What really pissed me off, is when I called Eb they told me not to expect my pre ordered to be filled before Xmas, then 1 week after release I get a call from EB to say they have my PS2 waiting to be picked up. DOH!!!!!

KC

8. Brad Billman

Brad Billman Extra

Panasonic 3DO over $600 for the unit and 2 controllers.
    2 light guns $30 each
    Flight stick controller $60
    27 games $???

9. Brad Billman

Brad Billman Extra

There was also the Pioneer Laser active LD player with the Saga Pack. I don't remember exactly how much it cost but it wasn't cheap... $600+ for the player and another $100 for the Saga pack.
    3 Laser Active LD games that cost $80 each

10. Brae

Brae Supporting Actor

Are any of you paying on a mortgage? [​IMG]

11. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

Xbox $200
    3X Microsoft Controllers $60
    2X Controller Extensions $10
    Micrsoft DVD Remote $15
    MS HD Pack $20
    Optical Cable $10
    Xbox Live $50

Total: $365, narrowly beating out my GC setup by $5.

12. BrianB

BrianB Producer

13. Trent_N

Trent_N Agent

But my wife will probably beat me up if I do so I won't.

My friend, you are among brethren.

14. MattMB

MattMB Agent

I guess I'm lucky. My wife and I were renting DVDs and I saw the DVD of GameCube demos so I picked that up. Fast forward a few months and I get a GameCube setup for at home from her for Christmas.

$325 bucks for the GameCube, memory card, and two games, Metroid Prime and Super Mario Sunshine. I've since added two Wavebirds and The Lord of the Rings: Two Towers and a poor F1 driving game, Driven. (ugh)

I'm having a blast with this little box.

But the most I've spent for a gaming platform would have to be on my PC(s). I had a NES years ago, then went all PC for games after Wing Commander came out. (notice, there wasn't a I for the first one) The GameCube was the first game console system I've played since the NES.

15. Rodrick

Rodrick Second Unit

All the Gameboys is probably my most spent system