What's new

Most sought after OOP Title (1 Viewer)

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor

I can remember this selling (the whole box, mind you) for $25 at Best Buy after the goofy American Godzilla movie came and went. It was right before I got a DVD player and I remember thinking, "I should get that before it goes away, because I know I'll get a player eventually."

To make a long story short, I've just bought the Simitar Godzilla:KotM off eBay for a pretty reasonable $15. So, $80 or so later, I now have the Simitar box set, less the actual box and Terror of MechaGodzilla (which is pan & scan and cut, so I'm not going to bother).

There's a lesson in there somewhere... :D

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
I would add that the early DTS demo discs and the THX demo discs usually go (or was that went) for a pretty penny. I haven't keep up with them for a while so I'm not really sure what they go for now.

Chris S.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Also does anyone collection DVDs just because they might appreciate in value? I know people like to own things that are "rare" but does anyone buy a disc and think "man if I keep this thing in mint condition I can sell it for $$ in a couple of years".

Chris S.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Wow, I just looked on Ebay, I had no idea that "The Little Mermaid" was so rare (and so heavily bootlegged). I haven't even cracked the seal on mine, and I got it free from Disney when I bought Snow White.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Also does anyone collection DVDs just because they might appreciate in value? I know people like to own things that are "rare" but does anyone buy a disc and think "man if I keep this thing in mint condition I can sell it for $$ in a couple of years".
I've purchased extra copies of the Disney Treasures tins. The first round has already doubled in price on Ebay.

I also have some extra copies of other Disney DVD's that will one day be retired (Platinum BATB and SW), plus the first "Limited Issue" DVD's (though other than "Mermaid" these don't seem to be much in demand).

Matthew Kiernan

Stunt Coordinator
Since no one's mentioned it, how about the 1998 release of Mario Bava's RABID DOGS? It had a very small printing and then it was gone. It was an excellent disc overall, and was the first (and only time) the film will be available in the original version. The rights have now been sold to producer Alfredo Leone who has hired Lamberto Bava to direct some new scenes that (I'm told) are really out of place. The film has also rescored and retitled KIDNAPPED.

Needless to say, I own a copy of RABID DOGS and ain't givin' it up for nothing!

Michael Bailey

Stunt Coordinator
Gleaming the Cube will fetch $150-500 on Ebay depending if its open or not. Pasolini Image titles like original Canterbury Tales or Arabian Nights will bring $75-125.

Jeremy

Stunt Coordinator
I know people like to own things that are "rare" but does anyone buy a disc and think "man if I keep this thing in mint condition I can sell it for $$ in a couple of years".
Actually, yes.

I bought the Criterion edition of John Woo's The Killer for that very reason. I found it at a CompUSA shortly after it went out of print and bought it only because I knew it's status. I paid list price, I think around $32 plus change.

When I found I could sell it for $400, I decided it was too expensive to stay in my collection.

Considering the bootleg situation on E-Bay, I'm glad I sold it when I did.

Ken Cline

Stunt Coordinator
How about the very first release of Dances With Wolves. This was only available with the purchase of certain RCA DVD players. I think it was around 1998 or so.

BarryS

Second Unit
I have the original release of The Devil's Advocate before it was edited and re-released to blur the white statue in Al Pacino's office. I wonder if this DVD is fetching a lot on Ebay. Not that I plan to sell it....

I also have the Criterion Robocop and Charade. Think I'll check on those.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I have the original release of The Devil's Advocate before it was edited and re-released to blur the white statue in Al Pacino's office. I wonder if this DVD is fetching a lot on Ebay. Not that I plan to sell it....
I have it too.(Which I won on eBay for a "reasonable" amount)

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
Criterion Robocop and Charade are pretty cheap on Ebay.

How about 'The Alien Legacy' dvd? It was available only as a mail in when you bought the Box set.

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I don't know how much it fetches, but the 2-disc Patton is OOP and it definitely goes for more than the list price. I was lucky enough to get a sealed copy recently for $5 over list.

Farewell, My Lovely
Ah. No wonder it's taking so long to arrive. :frowning: Hope I do get it in the end. Sometimes a film can be hard to get, but still arrive after a month or so.

Something else: I never realised that Aeon Flux was out of print and sought after now. But I took a look an eBay after seeing it mentioned here, and sure enough it seems to go for $60 for a non-bootleg copy. Not an obscene amount, but still more than I'd really like to pay for a DVD.

That's what happens tho when you keep putting things off and don't follow all that's going on in the DVD world.

Later.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks