What's new

Most sought after OOP Title (1 Viewer)

Leif Wall

Second Unit
I found a Hard Boiled Criterion at my local Suncoast about a year and a half ago. Only bought it cause it was out of print. Then I watched it and it was very good. Don't think I'll be selling this one.

What about the Army of Darkness 2disc LE? Has it gone down in value because of the 800 other AOD releases?

Also, the 2disc LE of Akira?

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
I think either the Killer (by John Woo) or Salo would be the most sought after. Both routinely fetch $600 or more for verified versions
i know salo fetches roughly $400 and up, but the killer doesnt get that much, seems like you could have snagged a legit copy for about $140-200, based on recently ended auctions. not sure what the highest it went for though. about salo, i remember seeing on half.com that it was listed for *$1100* can you imagine that, i hope nobody bought it, they were nuts if they did. 1100 will buy quite a lot of ht stuff, or dvds, or cds....

and i own the little shop of horrors oop, salo cc, spinal tap cc, silence of the lambs cc, robocop cc, and a few other less valuable oop criterions

CJ

I remember seeing a sealed copy of Salo CC ultimately go for $935 on e-bay...from a seller in Hong Kong, no less. I swear some people seem to have more money than they do common sense.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I swear some people seem to have more money than they do common sense
It depends on how you look at it. If someone has to go into bankruptcy to spend the $1,000 then you might have a point, but if someone has expendable money in the thousands of dollar range, why would it not be common sense?

Mark Palermo

Second Unit
There was an article where De Palma stated that Universal asked his permission to do a new rap-version of Scarface, and he said not a chance in hell. He'd already fought so hard to get the theatrical version released as it is that he wouldn't do anything to tamper with it. Sorry, I can't remember where that article was. But in any case, it's not happening.

Mark

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
What about the Army of Darkness 2disc LE? Has it gone down in value because of the 800 other AOD releases?
I picked this one up on preorder with a Reel.com $20 gift coupon and have yet to even open it due to a major backlog. That was what 3, 4 or 5 years ago. :D

The other titles all were somewhat easy to get if you were buying DVDs at the time. Seven Samurai original pressing is the lone Criterion OOP not in my collection, but that will probably change seeing as I just barely got in on last month's OOP scare. Some disks like the Little Shop of Horrors went from $350 to $60 in no time once Borders suddenly unloaded a batch of them from some warehouse a few years ago. Same thing happened with Buy.com and "This is Spinal Tap." Buying an OOP now can be a bargaining chip to get one you want. I sold a Spinal Tap + Hard Boiled to get Salo some time back.

Tom Vet

Stunt Coordinator
One DVD that is a rare OOP is "This Island Earth" with Rex Reason and Jeff Morrow. Silent Running was also, until they released a new copy.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Mystery Sience Theater: The Movie (featuring This Island Earth, btw) is also a rare OOP. Last time I checked, they were going for about $50 a pop on Ebay.

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
All of the old Image discs are Rare. This Island Earth, Amazon Women on the Moon, Fahrenheit(?) 451, Breakfast Club, Weird Science. All of these were blown out for $9 ea. a couple of years ago when Image's rights were up. There are more, those are just the ones I bought.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Amen to that...I remember the days of 20 off of 20 coupons to Reel.com and Buy.com. Back then my average per DVD was probably ~5 bucks. :)

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Isnt Disney's Snow White OOP(moratorium)
I thought I got screwed, but luckily I found some copies of it at Border's yesterday($26.99 each).

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
While I realize that there is 5 other versions of The Killer available, the Criterion is definitely the most desireable of them, and I would say that it's the Most Sought After OOP Title on DVD.
Definitely not anymore. The UK Hong Kong Legends release blows away the Criterion. The new anamorphic transfer is stunning and it also has the deleted scenes and a great commentary by Bey Logan. The commentary on the Criterion edition is the worst of the 3 if you ask me. Woo's commentary on the Winstar version is much better than the Criterion, but I prefer Logan's to either of Woo's.

Salo is readily available in the UK from MGM/BFI in a superior transfer and a slightly longer cut of the film. The Criterion has been bootlegged to death so that combined with a superior R2 release has really decreased its value.

Dances With Wolves 2-disc DTS edition is still available in Korea. You can get it here for $20 and the set is identical to the US release from Image only it has optional Korean subs. I can't see the value increasing that much as long as its still available in another country.

Jeff

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
supposedly The Dinner Game is going OOP or already is.

So pick it up if you haven't already.
Good little movie.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Larry, when did Image intend to release "Golden Age Of Rock & Roll"?

I'd really like to get this awesome series on DVD!

Gordy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kisanwiki
Recent bookmarks