Most sought after OOP Title

Discussion in 'DVD' started by WillG, Feb 27, 2003.

1. WillG

WillG Producer

I was talking with my girlfriend earlier about DVD collections earlier and she asked me what I thought the most sought after "Collectable" DVD out there. I mentioned that there were several OOP Criterion titles that people seem to speak about, but I couldn't come up with anything definitave. Anybody care to elaborate?

2. Adam_WM

Adam_WM Screenwriter

I think "Salo" is the most sought after OOP DVD.

3. WillG

WillG Producer

I don't think I'm familiar with that one, what's it about?

4. Dwayne

Dwayne Supporting Actor

http://us.imdb.com/Title?0073650

I've never seen it but, apparently, many find it to be quite disturbing. I must admit that I'm curious to see it but...

1. I'm not willing to shell out that kind of dough for it. And...

2. I would probably have to work up enough emotional stamina (and stomach) to actually sit down and watch it from start to finish.

5. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    Based on ebay....

Little Shop of Horrors with the alternate ending. BTW, I own this baby. I've seen this go from $140-180 on ebay.

6. Justin Bauer

Justin Bauer Supporting Actor

After reading the plot line, I don't think I will be wanting to see that one.

7. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    personally, I'd like to get my hands on The Killer and Hard Boiled, the two John Woo movies on Criterion.

another OOP which may be sought after would be Silence of the Lambs (which I do have [​IMG] )

8. paul watkins

paul watkins Stunt Coordinator

animal house

9. paul watkins

paul watkins Stunt Coordinator

scarface

10. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    It couldn't be Scarface, i've seen that on sale in local retailers. If the title is so rare I'll gladly sell my copy.

11. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

This is Spinal Tap: Criterion Collection [​IMG]

12. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

Animal House? You're kidding! I didn't even know this was out of print. [​IMG]

In a couple years I expect SILLY SYMPHONIES and MICKEY MOUSE IN COLOR will be very hard to come by.

13. Jason Hennigan

Jason Hennigan Stunt Coordinator

Jason Hennigan
    I'd say The Criterion release of The Killer.

Authentic copies of Salo went for a higher price in the past than The Killer usually goes for, but with all of the bootlegs available on Ebay now, it's lost a lot of value, but many people don't find the subject matter making the film worth a purchase.

Scarface isn't as rare as some of the Criterions, and the transfer is terrible, bad enough to not buy it.

Many of the other OOP Criterions have another version available, lessening their collectability. While I realize that there is 5 other versions of The Killer available, the Criterion is definitely the most desireable of them, and I would say that it's the Most Sought After OOP Title on DVD.

14. Tom Vet

Tom Vet Stunt Coordinator

Carl Johnson he means anamorphic "Scarface" Tony Montana played by Al Pacino which I own or will trade for a OOP "Raise The Titanic" DS and OAR or "The Little Mermaid", VHS The Bermuda Depths with original cover art case or the 200 minute Goliath Awaits 2 cassette with original cover art cases.

P.S. This anamorpic is really clear unlike the grainy one that's OOP also. Rare for Rare trading.

15. Chuck West

Chuck West Stunt Coordinator

16. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Before the bootlegs started showing up, Salo went for the most (up to $800 at one point! [​IMG] ) because it was the rarest of the Criterion Collection OOP titles, with the least amount of copies printed during its production run.

DVDJournal.com used to keep up weekly with eBay auctions on DVDs, and named the highest takes for single items. Here is an old one I found real quick from May 2002 that shows Salo going for $490. But I clearly recall there was one for $800 sometime during the same general period. They seem to have stopped keeping up with this sort of thing, though, probably due to lack of time and interest.

Edit: go further down the page I linked to, to the May 2 "dispatch", and see Salo going for $700...one one bid!

17. Matt Pelham

Matt Pelham Screenwriter

Salo Criterion is by far the most sought after OOP title, and it's quite ironic that it's the one DVD mentioned here I'd least like to own (I've seen the movie and it's horrible, but just do a search to find some Salo threads)

400 Blows Criterion: I think they re-released this one, but before they did this one regularly went over $200 on Ebay.

Killer + Hard Boiled Criterion: Both range from $80-200 on Ebay

This is Spinal Tap Criterion: $75-150

M. Hulot's Holiday Criterion: Used to sell for around $130, now closer to the $85 range

Seven Samurai Criterion first pressing: The one with the "restoration" demonstration can fetch over $90.

The Commitments: Can get close to $100

The Disney OOPs: Lady and the Tramp, 101 Dalmations, The Little Mermaid, and Jungle Book all go for quite a bit.

Also Scarface, Little Shop of Horrors(1st pressing), OOP Carpenters (They Live, Assault on Precinct 13, Prince of Darkness) and a whole bunch more.

18. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

If you exteneded the criteria to include Laserdiscs, there's always good ol' Frighteners Signature Collection which goes for ~350.

19. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

I'm sure Assault on Precinct 13 will drop since the new SE is out now.

I've never seen the Frighteners Sig. collection that high but I'd sure sell mine for that price!

Pasolini's (yes the Salo guy) 'The Gospel According to St. Matthew' is going for $500 on Amazon.
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...456987-9277639

20. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer