Most quietest Pro amp?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Martice, Feb 27, 2003.

1. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

I know the Crown K Series have no fan inside so they are as quiet as a mouse but are their any pro amps that do have fans that are not as loud as some others?

My guess is that I'll be putting the amp in another room away from the listening area but I do have some rack space now and if I can get a power amp that isn't too intrusive with it's fan noise, I don't have to run the amp from another room.

My room size is 11x17x9 and the sitting position is about 10 feet from the speakers.

Thanks

2. JayDaniel

JayDaniel Stunt Coordinator

Martice - I've asked the question here and other forums, and no one has ever answered it. Can you use pro amps in an HT/music in a home setting? What are the advantages & disadvantages? The prices on Crown, Carver etc. pro amps are so much less than the usual HT suspects, I've always wondered "why not for HT or music?"

What is your experience?

3. TimForman

TimForman Supporting Actor

I've noticed in most cases pro amps have a higher THD spec than quality home amps do. I use a pro amp to drive my sub since it's a cheap way to get lots of power and the distortion level at the lower frequencies isn't noticeable.

4. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

I also intend to use a Pro amp for my sub. It is an excellent way to get hug power for less efficient sub designs for cheap. However, as far as using proamps for Ht and 2-channel usage, I would go to the recording studio amps units by Bryston, Mackie, Samson and maybe Alesis if I HAD to use a pro amp. The PA amps are designed for projecting signals at much higher volume levels and are not designed for the usually small rooms associated with home 2-channel or HT setups. The distortion levels are forgivable when used in large rooms filled with people which is why they have so much power because you may never hit the levels that you will start to hear distortion if the amp is power rated high enough.

Bryston makes nice ones but they don't have enough power to push a Tumult, HE15 or equivelant driver to good levels. The Brytston amps are better for recording studios as opposed to PA levels or concerts when used in the pro field.

For the price that some of these home audio amps go for used nowadays, it doesn't make sense to purchase any of the above mentioned Pro amps for 2-channel music or HT except for the Bryston. It comes with a 20 years transferable warranty, world class performance and build qualtiy. Other than that, unless you need to power a sub, I'd leave the pro amps (especially the ones designed for PA usage) alone.

5. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Martice,

QSC has a "fan upgrade" of sorts. They have new ultra quiet fans that the user can switch out on site (they won't do it at the factory). I stopped by their booth at CEDIA and met John Gordon. They had some of their amps with the fan and I couldn't hear it running with my ear right up to the front of the amp. Granted it was in a loud convention hall, but I figure if I don't hear it with my ear up to the front then I imagine it'll be OK in room from 8-10 feet away.

6. Bryan Michael

Bryan Michael Supporting Actor

i have a samson s1000 and it is not that loud but i have never realey pushed the amp. i am running it in 8 ohm a side so it dont pull as much curent and the fans are at their lowest setting.

7. John A. Gordon

John A. Gordon Stunt Coordinator

JohnG
    Brian is correct. In certain QSC models you can install a quieter fan that works quite well for home use. I have three of these fans in my system and I sit 5 - 6' away, and it's not an issue.

In regards to the THD and numbers game, I would not look to closely. All good amps, pro and consumer, are designed to be good amps. Room size is not an issue with design when it comes to quality. As I've said before, I will gladly put my QSC amps up against any amp on the market, pro, consumer, high-end, does not matter, and I am absolutely confident they will come out at the top of the list. When it comes to the numbers game, you have to look and see how they came to them, what was the reference to get that number.

Anyway, enjoy

8. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

Hi John. Glad that you could drop inon us. In regards to the QSC amps and the fan. Which models allow for the fan upgrade? Where can I find out which one's allow for the upgrade if you don't have time to list them. I've looked on QSC's web site and I could find anything on it.

Thanks

9. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Martice,

I'm almost positive it can be done on the PLX series, but don't quote me on that! [​IMG]

10. John A. Gordon

JohnG
    As for which fan, it depends on which model amp. Which model were you thinkgin of? Also, and very important, you cannot just put in any fan. You must check the voltage rating of the fan. Many fans you find are for computer use and are 12V fans. Fans in the QSC amps are 24V, but again, check model to confirm.

Also, size of course is important. Most of the QSC amps people use at home use 80mm x 80mm x 25mm fans. Quiet fans are usually rated 23dB or lower, give or take.

Most fans come without connectors, so you will have to reuse or purchase a new connector. Here are some site for more info:

http://www.sanyo-denki.com/index2.htm

http://www.papst.de/english/home.html

http://www.deltaww.com/default.htm

http://www.panasonic.com/industrial/...aflo_axial.htm

http://www.xoxide.com/

http://www.markhannahsurplus.com

http://www.directron.com/quietfans.html

http://www.digikey.com

http://www.cuttingedgecasemods.com/

11. John A. Gordon

JohnG
    Yes, PLX as well as DCA, CX, and PL2 are just a few models that have been used to install quiet fans for home use.

12. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

No fans for the RMX series? Darn it!!

13. John A. Gordon

JohnG
    The RMX uses the same size fans as mentioned above, but they tend to run a tad warmer. With that said, I know of people who have used a quiet fan in an RMX for home use with great success. The one main issue with the RMX vs. the DCA, PLX, etc. is the fan is much more difficult to change out. Besides the soldering that is more than likely required, there are more parts to disassemble to remove and change the fan. The DCA, PLX does not require soldering and is much easier to change.

14. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

Has anyone used the Crown Macrotech 1200 amp? I can get one for about $350.00.

15. Brian-K-Owens

Brian-K-Owens Stunt Coordinator

I just bought the QSC PLX 3402 and the fan is ultra quite. The QSC PLX series also rates their amps from 20-20k Hz at .09% THD. Most proamps are rated at 1k Hz @ 1% THD as someone already pointed out.

The cheapest place I found for QSC amps is Northern Light and Sound. Amp is shipped directly from the QSC factory, it is an authorized sale, so you get full warranty, and they give free shipping.

http://www.northernsound.net/Sales/P...ampsframe.html

I was using a pair of Carver A500x amps, and the single PLX3402 blows them away!!!!

Brian

my system

16. Seth_L

Seth_L Screenwriter

17. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

18. Seth_L

Seth_L Screenwriter

Thomas,

Can you hear the difference between all these amps? When you're pushing a sub to 115dB at 20Hz is there an audible difference between a QSC RMX 2450 or a something like a Crown K2, or perhaps maybe something even more expensive and audiophile "snobbish"?

Lets ignore the fan noise for this comparison.

Seth

19. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

20. John A. Gordon

JohnG
    Seth,
    As to how much less the amp can survive on is a little tricky. What I can tell you is that we are installing quiet fans in our new custom home and studio amp, the SRA series. The SRA is built off the same platform as the PLX and DCA amps, but of course with different parts, features, and cosmetics. We tested many quiet fans, and the ones going in the SRA pasted our thermal requirements. For home use, the quiet fan should be fine with your PLX. I have 3 DCAs at home and have quiet fans installed and there is no issue with airflow, thermal issues or the like.