What's new

Most powerful, raw, moving modern song I have heard in a long time (1 Viewer)

Kevin_Breeze

Second Unit
Even if you are not a rock fan, please give this song a chance. For the rock lover's I am sure you remember "simple man" by Lynyrd Skynyrd. I always LOVED that song and this new cover does it MORE than justice. This guy puts everything he has into this song.

Raw,unsythesized acoustic guitar & vocal bliss. Please check this out and let me know what you think. It blew me away. Sit back and listen to the whole thing quietly with no other distractions before passing judgement.

Go to yahoo.com and than music (launch) and search for the band Shinedown and listen and watch the video "simple man"

Shawn C

Screenwriter
Yeah, I guess that one song isn't too bad, maybe a little oversung. That band is a little like Creed 2.0

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Naw, creed 2.0 is that band without Scott Stapp... Altered State, i believe :D

Kevin_Breeze

Second Unit
"Yeah, I guess that one song isn't too bad, maybe a little oversung. That band is a little like Creed 2.0"

I can understand where you are coming from with the oversung part, but IMO I don't think its oversung b/c it never gets sloppy, he always maintains great control of his voice. Personally I love the emotion and soul and drive he puts into it. He's clearly very much into it and not just some studio drone going through the motions to sell some albums.

I don't compare them to Creed at all. Try listening to their other song "45" and they actually sound like Metallica at times.

John Alvarez

Screenwriter
Having grown up in Jacksonville and being around Skynard, 38. Special, Molly Hattchett etc...I think it's a great rendition of the song as do many people here in the hometown of Southern Rock.

DaveSarcevic

Agent
I didnt like it all. Actually I got kind of pissed. Dont know the name of the bands, their was a Who cover that was horrible (Behind Blue Eyes). I would hear the intro of simple man, go over to the radio to turn it up, and it's a bloody beer commercial. As Charlie Brown would say, "Ugggh!.

Kevin_Breeze

Second Unit
"I didnt like it all. Actually I got kind of pissed. Dont know the name of the bands, their was a Who cover that was horrible (Behind Blue Eyes). I would hear the intro of simple man, go over to the radio to turn it up, and it's a bloody beer commercial. As Charlie Brown would say, "Ugggh!"

I don't really know much of what you are talking about. John was right, The Behind Blue Eyes cover is Limp Bizkit and I think thats really good song too, although his voice is very synthesized. never heard the simple man beer comercial, but i think if you don't like this rendition of Simple man than you just simply don't like that type of rock or rock at all for that matter... But everyone is entitled to their opinion and thats what you ask for when you make thread like this, so thanks for the input ;)

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
Sounded great to my ears. I put their CD on my To Get list. Thanks for the direction to the videos. I've been watching them nonstop.:D

John Alvarez

Screenwriter
Shinedown opened for Van Halen last night here in Jacksonville. ( home to Skynyrd)..and got a huge ovation for that song. Jacksonville is a tough crowd for anyone trying to do covers of hometown rockers.

AricB

Second Unit

I've only barely paid attention to this song on the radio, but this broad statement seems kind of ludicrous, especially for a cover.

For songs that fit that description, see any of the morphine, radiohead, and the last Joe Strummer cd's. Not to mention, the pixies, cooper temple clause, sparta, snow patrol, or about a couple dozen other recent cd's that have come out recently.

You want powerful, raw, moving, see Silver and Gold-Joe Strummer and mescalero's, Gone for Good-Morphine, and Keep me in your heart-Warren Zevon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks