What's new

Most power for 4 ohm speakers in a $500-700 HT receiver? (1 Viewer)

MTrotter

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Marc
I have big, 4 ohm speakers, and since I don't have a sub, I need to set my decoder to "large" for the front left and right. So, what is the best sounding and ballsiest receiver in this price range for movies and music? Who has the best power supply and current output?

I also need the multi-channel input for my DVD-Audio player. I don't really feel like I have to have 7.1 decoding and PL2, as my room doesn't warrant it.

BTW, I currently have a 100w by 5 channel Nakamichi reciever that weighs over 30 pounds, and I want to move up in power and bass control from that.

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
If you don't need DPL II I have heard good things about the Outlaw 1050 but I have personally never heard it. I would also suggest looking into used Denons or Onkyos on this board or others. For 700 you should be able to find some really nice receivers. Also, their seems to be a faction who claim that HK has really good power. Maybe someone can give you more details since I have not been receiver shopping in a while but at least this will bump you back to the front. Good Luck.

chung

Stunt Coordinator
I have big, 4 ohm speakers, and since I don't have a sub, I need to set my decoder to "large" for the front left and right. So, what is the best sounding and ballsiest receiver in this price range for movies and music? Who has the best power supply and current output?
I would recommend the HK AVR-520, available online or at Fry's for less than $700. It has preamp outs and power amp inputs, which will come in handy if you later decide to add external amps. Some will say that HK's cannot drive 4 ohms, but my personal experience is that it does a very creditable job with my speakers that are nominally 4 ohms but go down to 3 ohms at some frequencies. Although even adding an inexpensive amp like the 5-channel HK-5800 will improve the overall performance. By the way, adding a powered subwoofer will help your receiver's amps, because the low frequencies are no longer processed by them.

MTrotter

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Marc
Thanks, Chung. The HK's do look great and are very heavy, if that means anything, although their wattage ratings are not very high. I know, they will say they have high current output, etc. They don't have a phono input, although I guess I could get a phono preamp.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks