What's new

Most over used song in movies? (1 Viewer)

Dave_Brown

Supporting Actor
I can't give a specific title, but I would say almost anything by Enya is guaranteed to show up in every movie ever made in some fashion. If not the movie, then the previews will contain it somewhere.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C

Yes, indeed. I love Enya, but I hate the trend she started: "Ethereal female voice chanting indiscernible lyrics over a background of vaguely ethnic synth music" ;)

WillG

Senior HTF Member

I did not see "Adaptation" but the song was not even used in "Eternal Sunshine..." I know that just because the song is in the trailer does not necessairly mean it is going to be in the film, but it does give that impression.

I would say anything by Aerosmith especially "Sweet Emotion"

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
Ok, other than Lord of the Rings stuff and Far and Away, I can't think of anything thing else Enya has been used in.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Echoing "Watchtower", I think "White Rabbit" gets a lot of play in similar flicks. Oh, and because of Apocalypse Now, "The End" pops up a lot. And don't forget "Ride of the Valkyries"!

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Beethoven's 5th (1st movement), 9th (Ode to Joy), and Moonlight Sonata
Bach's Air on the G String and Fugue in D Minor
a couple of Mozart's and Rossini's overtures
O Fortuna

These are the only classical pieces of music Hollywood knows and they use them in everything.

The only jazz songs Hollywood knows are Take Five and Sing Sing Sing.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
As was mentioned, I Feel Good - James Brown....SNL did a hilarious send up of this.

I'm Too Sexy - Right Said Fred......oh man....

This has already been mentioned as well but....Bad To The Bone.....after John Carpenter used this in Christine everyone...I mean Everyone used this damn song.

What A Wonderful World - Louie Armstrong......can't even remember how many films have used this song in an "ironic" way let alone in a conventional way.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Yeah, I know you are right but I still love that scene in Excalibur, I still think it was the best use of that music in a film.

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
Ok, so there is an orchestral piece that is used in several trailers such as "Mulan" and some others I can't remember.

Imagine strings very high in tone, alomst shrill going...

da da
daaaaaaaa da ^ daaaa daaaaaaa da ^ daaaa

got it?

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy

Lmao You think this just limited to the movies? I play a lot of Battlefield Vietnam, an EA online pc videogame that brings you back to that late 1960's era. I beleive its the first first person shooter style game to use such a musical soundtrack...16 golden hits from the era. Jump into your tank, cycle through the various songs, choose one you like, and away you go on your death mission. The best part is that everyone can hear it, even the enemy, so its usually not such a smart idea to be crusing around with tunes blaring.

And yes, Ride of the Valkries is included too :D Nothing like jumping into a chopper and flying over the ocean to the little village and watching all the NVA scatter and of course our pilot is playing Ride Of The Valkeries. Everyone within hearing distance can hear it, you can see the terror in the NVA's eyes lol.

Do I have to add that its very addicting? Anytime I hear a song thats in the game I get a sudden urge to play.

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
Most overused song in a movie?

Without a doubt, it has to be "Happy Birthday To You". That song's so worked out it collects welfare.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

You know it's true.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Lakme

O.K....it's an Opera, but whenever Leo Delibes gets a credit, and there are 34 of them in the IMDB, starting in 1913 (The Last Days Of Pompeii), it's usually for Lakme.
The "duet"...and I own the thing but I'm too lazy to go look up the name of the song, was used in The Hunger (1983), and that's when I took notice of it.
Since then:
My Big Fat Greek Wedding (2002)
Private Parts (1997)
The Mirror Has Two Faces (1996)
Carlito's Way (1993)
True Romance (1993)

....and over two dozen more.

Matt Fisher

Second Unit
Craig Armstrong's "Escape" has been used in a number of trailers to my recollection. Up there with ES Posthumus

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks