Most obscure film reference in Movies and Television.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dome Vongvises, Sep 13, 2002.

1. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

Ever watch a movie or T.V. show and wonder why they referenced certain things? I'm not talking Kevin Smith and Star Wars, but really out-of-nowhere sort of deals. Oh well, I'll mention more, and here are my initial findings.

The zither score from The Third Man in the film xXx
    - Right before xXx walks into the bar at Prague for the first time, we hear that old familiar zither score.

Count Orlock from Nosferatu in an episode of Spongebob Squarepants
    - Squidward tells an urban legend to Spongebob that involves the flicking on and off of a light switch which foreshadows the appearance of a dreadful being. At the end of the episode after some hilarity and misunderstanding, they try to figure out who's been turning the switches on and off at the Krusty Krab. They find the culprit, who is none other than Count Orlock himself, whom Spongebob proceeds to call "Nosferatu!!!".

2. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    "Are You Afraid of the Dark" had an elaborate homage to Nosferatu. It was probably lost on most of the kiddies, but I was amused by the really nice emulations.

Mystery Science Theater 3000 has tons of obscure references. They have made a ton of references to stuff like Abel Gance's Napoleon (Alien From LA), It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World (Riding With Death, Thing That Wouldn't Die, many others), etc.

The Sherlock Jr. homage in Goldmember was really nice. It's even more of a homage since a movie which homaged the silent era (Singin' In the Rain) was in turn referenced!

3. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

I always liked the refrence from Johnny Bravo where he was hit with a shrink-ray and abducted by his bratty neighbor-child and forced to partake in her stuffed animal "tea party"
    Johnny: "You can't do this too me! I can't stay here with these dolls. They all have creepy eyes, cold, lifeless, Doll-eyes."

4. Rich Romero

Rich Romero Supporting Actor

In The Simpsons they have had Tom Savini on. Marge says something about how he did the effects for Dawn of the Dead and Friday the 13th. Not too many people would know who he is, or care for that matter.

5. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

Rich Romero said:

6. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

In Wallace & Gromit The Wrong Trousers Gromit is in the back yard looking at Wallace & the Penguin through the rear window, while music very reminiscent of that from Rear Window plays. Later there is a muzak version of Happy Talk from South Pacific.

7. John Kilduff

John Kilduff Screenwriter

In the 1986 Judd Nelson-Ally Sheedy action thriller "Blue City" (co-written by Walter Hill of "48 HRS" and "Streets Of Fire"), 2 characters make a sandwich while singing the ingredients in a song with the phrase "buh-buh-buh-buh-buh".

Unbelievably, this movie was referenced to on an episode of "Sesame Street". Telly and Baby Bear got the letter "B" as part of the Letter Of The Month club, and as they walked down the street, they sang a variant of the song from "Blue City".

"Sesame Street" is great for references to movies you wouldn't expect to see referenced in an educational kids show. 17 examples of movies referenced on the show, its specials and its movie spin-offs "Follow That Bird" and "The Adventures Of Elmo In Grouchland":

-"Raging Bull"
    -"Taxi Driver"
    -"Lethal Weapon"
    -"Basic Instinct"
    -"Summer Of Sam"
    -"THX 1138"
    -"Dr. Zhivago"
    -"Love Story"
    -"Wayne's World"
    -"Singin' In The Rain"
    -"Gone With The Wind"
    -"The Sound Of Music"
    -"North By Northwest"
    -"Victor/Victoria"
    -"Good Morning, Vietnam"
    -"Hamlet" (the Mel Gibson version...Gibson himself was in the sketch with Elmo)
    -"GoodFellas"

17...17 wonderful examples. Oh, how I love to count things, ah-hah-hah-hah!

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

18 with the "Blue City" reference

8. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

The Canadian-lensed tween action/comedy series Big Wolf On Campus once had entire episode that was essentially a remake of Altered States (appropriately titled Faltered States). Not that obscure, but a pretty interesting choice given its target audience. They've also tackled Purple Rose of Cairo, Election, My Boyfriend's Back, The Manchurian Candidate, and Drop Dead Fred, among quite a few others.

9. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

Manhattan Murder Mystery ends with them behind a movie screen that is playing Lady from Shanghai, with life imitating art