Most musical sub under $500?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Christian Dolan, Jan 14, 2002.

1. Christian Dolan

Christian Dolan Stunt Coordinator

I’m just testing the waters here.

I’m looking for opinions on the most musically satisfying sub under five hundred dollars that will do justice to the sturm und drang of HT. My listening room is average sized (sorry, no measurements on hand), but we also need something to take with us when we move, so I don’t want to get too specific in terms of room volume. As I primarily listen to movies, I want something that will go low and loud, but will gladly sacrifice either to avoid boom, distortion and port noise with music.If the music suffers, it’s all over. Ineed something that can handle up to 80hz. Any thoughts are appreciated.

-Christian

2. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

I've heard great things about the musical quality of the Adire Rava, which I think can be had direct from the manufacturer for $399.

3. Jason Watson

Jason Watson Stunt Coordinator

If you dont mind buying used, consider the NHT SW2pi. It will not play as low or loud as some but provides tight,fast, musical bass. It is a 10in. ported design that sounds like a good sealed sub.At 500.00 to 600.00 you can probably get two and boost the overall output some. This and the Mirage BPS 150 are the only two that I have spent time with(I owned the NHT) that dont trade quality(music)for quantity(movies).I am sure there are many others.

Jason

4. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Doubt you'll bite, but here is my pick:
    http://home.tampabay.rr.com/kraushome/IB.html
    It might go a little over $500 but not much. Nothing commercially available could come even remotely close.
    When it's time to move, just unscrew the drivers and build a new manafold in your new place [​IMG]
    I so want one, but can't do that to my current place. Well actually I guess I could, but I don't think the Tempest's surrounds would react well to the -40 degree celsius temps the attic will see during our winters.

5. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

Like Dana, I've read the Adire Rava at $399.00 is a great sub for music (and good for HT as well) I was looking for a smallish, acurate sub for around the same money so, i ordered a Rava. Their really nice looking too in light oak. It's going in my bedroom where i'm throw'n together a second rig.
    http://www.adireaudio.com/Merchant2/...ory_Code=10.30

6. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Definitely the Rava as mentioned in above posts. I just wish I knew about this sub before I bought my def tech.

7. Dan_C

Dan_C Agent

Christian,

The HSU VTF-2 can be found at nax.com for $450 shipped. I own the sub myself and it is an outstanding investment for both home theater and music.

But don't take my word for it, search all the home theater forums and you'll hear nothing but good things about this HSU. It is arguably the best sub for

8. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

Dan,

I did a little research on the HSU VTF-2 before deciding on the Adire Rava. These two subs were the contenders in the price range. What i found with the HSU is that it may in fact have an edge in HT but in music, the Rava is the clear favorite. Anither point of contention was Which sub is better looking? Clearly too me, the Rava in light oak finish. One opinion that gets hammered over and over again about the HSU VTF-2 is that many consider it too be butt-ugly.(including me) Still, i don't think for pull'n LFE duty, you could go wrong with either sub.

9. Eric_M

Eric_M Stunt Coordinator

is the Rava a ported sub?

When I was inquiring about a sub, I was told, I believe by Dustin that for music ported is best rather than bandpass. I think bandpass is louder and not as accurate where ported is more accurate and probably tighter. Is this correct?

The problem is no place near me carries this sub.

I am also curious to look into the HSU.

I too am in the market for a sub that will be used for 60 percent music 40 HT.

How does everyone rate the Rava for HT though?

10. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

The Rava is sealed, the HSU is ported. The Adire Dharman uses the same driver as the Rava but has a little more powerful plate amp, is twice the size of the Rava, is a ported design and costs $200 more.

In general people consider sealed subs (ie the Rava) to have the best sound quality (the ultimate sealed sub being an infinite baffel design). Then ported, although I feel a properly done ported sub can be just as good as a sealed, especially if the sealed is in too small of an enclosure (I'd only give up my ported sub if I could replace it with a multi driver infinite baffel). Then bandpass, which I would never even consider.

11. Eric_M

Eric_M Stunt Coordinator

OK my fault for not going to adire's site 1st. Ok so it is a sealed sub. It sounds like it would be a good sub though and it seems to be focused on music. However in the review section of the Rava, it was saying how for HT it may not be the best sub for those really low effects in films. I guess you really can't win unless you start spending more money.

I still have to look into the HSU VT-2 though.

In any case it's too bad stores don't carry Adire so I can hear it before testing it. I do want something that will be satisfactory for both even though I will be listening to music a bit more than HT.

Any opinions on Rava owners using it for HT ?

12. Peter Jessee

Peter Jessee Stunt Coordinator

I have a Rava and listen to both music and HT (about 50/50). It excels at both, IMHO. It and the VTF-2 are hands down the best subs I've heard for under $500 list, and I prefer the Rava because I think it does music better and HT as well.

Peter