What's new

Most Musical Speakers $200 Can Buy? (1 Viewer)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
$200 (USD) and UNDER or a little more?

For $200, you should be able to get Titans. I paid $189 for my v3 shielded ones brand new, but I got a good deal. Should still be able to get them for a little less, especially with the new models coming out soon. I prefer them to the Atoms, but the Atoms are OK too.

Do they have to be bookshelf speakers?

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
John,

Thanks for the post. I guess it could be more if it's a floorstander, since there's a $100 (CDN) in a stand right there.

The Atoms have received many accolades as the "gem in the rough" in the performance series. I remeber one person actually preferred them to Studio 20's. I'm intrigued that you like the Titans more. I'll have to demo them!

Thanks!
Martin.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I just like that the Titans have a bit more extension. The Atoms lack of extension makes them sound cleaner, IMO, which is why many prefer them to the Titans. With a sub, it's basically a draw, but I still prefer the Titans for the ~$30 difference.

The reason I ask if floorstanders are OK is because there are some Mordaunt Short 904s on sale at www.ac4l.com for $229 US. I have the 902s, the bookshelf version, that I got from AC4L, and I am extremely impressed with them. I upgraded my little bedroom system to these from Atoms, and the difference is LITERALLY night and day. I've even put them up against v2 Studio 20s in this same setup, and I felt the 902s, while lacking the extension of the 20s, were still cleaner overall for music. For the price, they are surprisingly good speakers.

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
John,

Thanks for the Titan vs. Atom insight. As for the Mordaunt Short 904s, I can't find them at a local B&M (in Canada, no less), and I definitely need to audition. Thanks for the suggestion, though. Looks like a heck of a sale price!

Martin.

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
Listened some performance line speakers in the audio store, and actually left with a pair of Paradigm Esprits. These are small thin floorstanders which actually offer a great deal of bass extension. Tied for the most, on paper, in the Performance line. The difference between two Atoms with two S-30 stands and the Esprits was $100 even.

Compared to the Atoms, the highs were more revealing, and there was obviously more bass. The soundstage was noticably wider, and I didn't notice much difference in imaging. I preferred the Atoms for female voices, however. The Esprit's were a bit rough.

It seemed like a good tradeoff given that they will be used mostly for 2 channel music, and I have no intention of introducing a sub.

Martin.

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
All speakers reproduce music...although some handle it better than others...but they do precisely just that and nothing more 'cuz loudspeakers aren't **musical** instruments to begin with, for crying at loud! :rolleyes

Also...music playback without covering the entire human hearing frequency range (20 Hz to 20,000 Hz) is totally emasculating it--taking testicular, visceral power away from it!--even if most of it doesn't go below 40 Hz (of course, there's cathedral organ and electronically synthesized music to contend with too, but then what do I know!). That's why I've been been using subwoofers from time immemorial (am a bit older than most of you :D )!

Sorry about the rant...but had to get it out of my chest...

-THTS

"...hi, my name is Frank...and am an SVS bassaholic..."

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Wouldn't you know it. I get out of reviewing, and Frank introduces a new standard... "Testicular" .... just think, instead of "digital ready" stamps on the sides of speaker boxes... "Testicular Strength" could be the new paradigm ... (sorry - the paradigm one was too good to pass up...)...

Frank, you are a wonder... :emoji_thumbsup: :)

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
I did some research awhile back when i got the upgrade bug for a pair of bookshelves for my room (which has since gone into remission, thank goodness for my wallet :) )

The primus has better high freq detail, but not as much in the midbass compared to the atoms.

You can probbly find the Titans for under $200USD, since i can get them for about $220CAD here.

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:
__________________________________________________ ________

Frank, you are a wonder... :emoji_thumbsup: :)

Craig...is easy to soar high aloft when flying in the company of Eagles, my good friend!... :emoji_thumbsup: :wink:

-THTS

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
Frank,

I must say, I completely disagree with you about speakers not being musical. My Studio 100's are definitely equivalent to a tamborine travelling 60 miles an hour away from the listener, with a slight 3 mile an hour crosswind from left to right.

Martin.

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:

Frank,

I must say, I completely disagree with you about speakers not being musical. My Studio 100's are definitely equivalent to a tamborine travelling 60 miles an hour away from the listener, with a slight 3 mile an hour crosswind from left to right.

Martin,

I must say I too disagree with you since none of my speakers--and I own several pairs!--are definitely the equivalent to our big 9-piece TAMA drum set traveling at the speed of light...but that still doesn't make 'em musical instruments, so there!... :crazy: :p) :D :laugh:

-THTS

cabreau

Second Unit
I listened to Micros, Atoms, Titans, Esprits and Phantoms. For the money, I preferred the Atoms over the others. When I upgraded to the Studio line, I kept my Atoms because I loved them so much. They are now performing surround duties.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks