What's new

Most musical speaker drivers (1 Viewer)

Cameron_Peck

Stunt Coordinator
I am getting ready to design a set of 3 way speakers and I would like your input as to driver selection. I know that there are great sounding drivers out there for big dollars, but I am more interested in the mid priced drivers.

What are your recommendations for the most musical tweeter for under $75, most musical midrange under $75, and most musical woofer under $100?

Todd Shore

Stunt Coordinator
My selection was Stryke RT2W planar tweet, Morel MDM-55 dome midrange, and a pair of sealed Morel MW-164 6" midbass drivers. The midbass will be crossed to the bass boxes (still to be completed) at around 150Hz.

Cameron_Peck

Stunt Coordinator
I tried to look at the Stryke tweeter, but their site seems to be under construction or something. All I could see was subwoofers. All the other pages could not be found. How do your new speakers sound?

Todd Shore

Stunt Coordinator
The Stryke is the same as Dayton PT2 at Parts Express.

I am sure there are better tweeters than the planar, and it IS for a 3-way since it needs to be crossed high. I don't have any complaints -- it sounds very good to my ears. It DOES have limited vertical dispersion. However, in an HT environment I think this is a plus. It means that when you stand up and walk out of the room you don't end up with an ear full of tweeter as you pass a speaker.

The Morel dome midrange can distort if driven too high or low and is very detailed. Within the 900-3.5KHz range I am running it, it is very nice. It needs to be recessed mounted.

The Morel midbass drivers are excellent sealed box drivers. Not very efficient at only 86dB/1W/1M, though. They can get down to 60Hz sealed but develop max power at 200Hz and above (like most 6" drivers).

The drivers were mainly choosen for flat response with few distortion effects within their passbands. They weren't asked to do more than what they were capable of. This is a different design philosophy than is usually taken for a typical 2-way.

David Giesbrecht

Second Unit
Actually I was just on the PE website and I spotted the Bohlender Neo8, you could use the Neo8 as a high res mid in conjuction with the Neo3 PDR from 700 hz on up to 5 khz where the Neo 3 would take over from there. The Neo8 does have a bit of a rise from 700 hz on up but a simple notch filter could take care of that. just make sure you use good crossover components, no electrolytic caps here! You don't want to spoil the sound of a good Planar by using cheap crossover parts.

good luck with your project I want to see pics!!!!!!

Cameron_Peck

Stunt Coordinator
Also check out the Bohlender Neo3 PDR it looks very tasty as well.
I agree, it does look good. It does not have a very flat frequency response though. I’d say it sounds wonderful when it is set up properly.

At the moment I am considering using the Hiquphon OWI for the tweeter because of its excellent off axis response. For mids I am considering the Peerless HDS 850488 5” midbass because of the reputation it has for great midrange. And for bass I am considering two Peerless woofers. The CSX 850146 10” woofer and the 12” XLS. I have to do some modeling to see which one would be better for this project.

If you have any suggestions please let me know. I am always looking for input.

David Giesbrecht

Second Unit
At the moment I am considering using the Hiquphon OWI for the tweeter because of its excellent off axis response.
Do you have a link to where I can see specs I've been looking for a good tweet with good off axis response, better than what the typical 1" dome is capable of. Also check out Hi-Vi drivers from PE. The RT1C-A planar tweet looks really flat and has a really good off axis response. Hi-Vi mid basses look good as well check out the F series drivers. The F6 mid bass looks great on paper and the price is right.

Cameron_Peck

Stunt Coordinator
Do you have a link to where I can see specs
Ask and you shall receive.:)

http://ldsg.snippets.org/graphics/hiquphon/owi_a.gif

I got this from the Loudspeaker Designer’s Selection Guide web page. It also stated “The Hiquphon OW I/II/III, along with the AccutonC223/6, Human 002, Scan-Speak R2904/7000, Morel MDM33, and the Alison Acoustics 4010203 (available only as a replacement part for Allison loudspeakers) are considered by many to be the ultimate electrodynamic tweeters.”

Dan Wesnor

Second Unit
I would look at the new Seas 15cm Al and paper cones for around $50 for midrange. For a tweeter one of the Morels, the -20 on the low end or the -30 for around $50. For the woofer, one of the Peerless 8" or 10", or the new Seas 8" or 10" Al cones if you can deal with the break-up. I think a Shiva would be overkill and for music would select a more delicate motors like the ones Seas and Peerless use.

Of course this all assume you have the knowledge, equipment, and experience to design your own crossover. A 3-way has some pretty complex things going on that cannot be measured, especially with regard to the interaction of the woofer with the floor.

David Giesbrecht

Second Unit
Definetly don't listen to me that Hiquphon looks amazing the only place I've ever seen an off axis response like that
was in focal tweeters but that Hiquphon is much smoother. Bring on the 3/4' domes!, definetly better than the 1"ers.

but I would probably cross it over no higher than 2 khz because its off axis response starts to suffer above that.
Ignore this as well, it will be good up to 3 khz

AndersP

Stunt Coordinator
David: A 3/4" tweeter must usually be crossed at +3kHz. This means that the midrange will be driven in an area where it really becomes directive and where the dredded cone edge resonances starts to become apparent.
This is why you seldom see those drivers in newer constructions. 1" domes have become good enough.

I also like the 5" from Peerless. ;) The one without the faze plug measures the best of them though.

My opinion is that one shold avoid sharp resonances in the drivers working range as in metal cone midranges. A woofer on the other hand could benefit from a metal cone, being crossed several octaves away from the spikes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks