Most Musical Satellites

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Brooks H, Jan 3, 2004.

1. Brooks H

Brooks H Auditioning

I know sats are not the best for music listening, but because of space (built-in entertainment center), its all we can use. My dad listens mostly to music, but I want a good home theater speaker as well. We will be powering them with a HK 330, and using the HK 8385 CD Changer, and also the Pioneer 563 DVD/SACD. Our price range is about $800 max including the sub. We've looked at Polk (6700 I think) and like their size and sound, but I was hoping for some more suggestions in a 5.1 speaker package or a 5 speaker satellite system and seperate sub. Thanks.

2. Manuel Delaflor

Manuel Delaflor Supporting Actor

First define "musical", then we talk. You don't know how many people believe they know what they are trying to mean, just for later comprehend that they had no idea. :b

3. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

Also, you might specify what the maximum size for the satellites is. That will help people give you suggestions.

4. Brooks H

Brooks H Auditioning

By musical, I guess I mean the best all around sound. We listen to all kinds of music and want the best performance from each type. And for the size, I think about 8" H x 5" W (depth no issue) is about the max mom will allow. I'd love to drop some huge bookshelves in but...have to compromise somewhere.[​IMG]

5. Brooks H

Brooks H Auditioning

Any suggestions?

6. Manuel Delaflor

Problem is that everybody in this forum will give you a different answer when asked to tell what they consider "best all around sound". Sorry.

7. BrianMB

BrianMB Agent

They're slighty bigger and a little more expensive but I'm sure I won't be the first to suggest the

Onix ELT

8. GeorgeTW

GeorgeTW Stunt Coordinator

I found that Klipsch makes small speakers that are musical, and could work for home theater.

9. Brooks H

Brooks H Auditioning

I understand the question I'm asking is based on personal tastes, just looking for some direction in what to look for I guess. I've heard Energy and Paradigm are good brands, any opinions on those?

10. Manuel Delaflor

In that case my answer would be that you need to listen as many brands as you can. Only that way you will discover what kind of "voicing" (every speaker brand will have a peculiar voice, yes, even the most expensive and recognized) you really like. Then come here and read what others think about the specific speakers you have listened.

Personaly speaking I love Horn speakers, to my ears they sound more natural when reproducing the only kind of music I want to listen (really sit and listen I mean): Classical Music.

For any other music a lot of equipment will do "the trick".

11. BrianAe

BrianAe Second Unit

Come on, I think he's given enough information to deserve some suggestions. Given your price and size requirements, I'd check out the Energy Take 5.1 set along with a used sub or the Dayton 10" sub from parts express or the Sony SMWA40.

12. John S

John S Producer

I don't like small sats for music. Get Bookshelves with a 6" or larger bass driver.

13. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

It's hard to say which are the best for satellites but I love my Klipsch Quintets.

Either that or the JBL NSP1's might be a decent choice.

As for a sub, if it's just going to be mainly music, the subwoofer wouldn't have to be as defined I think as for movies, so a budget sub like a Sony should be fine.

14. GregBe

GregBe Second Unit

I think that if you are going to go with satellites, a good quality sub is critical for music listening. You want something that is not boomy and very tight. There are many satellites that produce the highs very well.
    I personally have Cambridge Soundworks MC300's which are larger than most satellites, but they go on the wall, so they work in my situation. I compared them to Energy, Definitive Technologies and M&K, and I liked them the best for music reproduction.
    Of course they are a compromise compared to bookshelves and floorstanding speakers, but no matter how good your system is you will always be compromising somewhat and looking at the better system out there. It is just part of this hobby.

Greg

15. Anthony~N

Anthony~N Auditioning

Be sure to check out Paradigm "atom", very musical and affordable.

16. Kevin G.

Kevin G. Second Unit

I second the vote for Paradigm, atoms are a very good buy(you could get 4 and match w/cc170 or 270, and still afford the Dayton sub.)

17. ShaunLB

ShaunLB Stunt Coordinator

The Polks you were looking at are also a good choice. If you could find em at a good price (they are discontinued) the RT15i and RT25i are also excellent bookshelves that might fit your needs. The RT25i is very comparable to Axiom bookshelves (my friend and I have compared ours vs each other) so that might also be any option.