What's new

Most influential Individual in Music (1 Viewer)

veggiop

Grip
Real Name
veggiop
Who is the the most influential person in music...EVER? Now it has to be one person, so if you want to vote for a band you're going to have to narrow it down to who out of that band is the most influential. I'm going to have to say John Lennon. I've only heard a couple of songs from him as it's not really my style of music, but nearly all my favourite bands list him or The Beatles as their reason for getting into the business.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Welcome to the forum, Veggio (or Veggi? - please make it a proper first name!),

Because you added "ever" it would be Bach or Paganini or so, IMO.

If you narrowed it to "pop", or "modern time", yes I think The Beatles would be reasonable candidates. And in that case: don't underestimate George Martin ( = Sir George Henry Martin)! He's the unseen (not-directly-visible-on-stage) Beatle.

Cees

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
Robert Johnson, the original Delta Blues King (as we well-know the influence blues has had on all forms of rock, soul & R&B that followed).

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
It pretty much has to be JS Bach. No one else figured out and popularized the format of music we now count on, so no one isn't in some way influenced by Bach.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
How about Black Sabbath, or since limited to one person, Ozzy? The number of heavy metal and hard rock musicians influenced by Ozzy (and Sabbath) over the past 35 - 40 years must be staggering.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Originally Posted by Danny Tse

Of course, it was Elvis

Bingo!

Here's the thing, it wasn't so much about music; every kid who picked up a guitar from 1954 until 1961 or so, did it because the chicks were going mad for Elvis.

Play guitar, GET CHICKS.

Bob Dylan, John Lennon, Buddy Holly. Go ahead, ask them.

Elvis got it going, he IS the influence.

Of course, Elvis was influenced by Dean Martin, but I'm not going there.

There's more to this of course, books have been written.

I love Bach too, and I also own, and LISTEN to the complete works of Robert Johnson.

But, "influential" was the question and you can't escape the many hits of Elvis back in the day, the growing availability of portable radios, the growth of teenagers as CUSTOMERS and the fact that EVERY country on the face of the Earth likes American music.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
Louis Armstrong or Duke Ellington. Either of them had enormous influence on jazz and popular music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks