What's new

Most impressive SACD? (1 Viewer)

JasonF

Agent
What's the best sounding SACD that you have heard? I'm going to be the new owner of a SACD player soon and I want a SACD that will blow my wife away. She's not convinced that I need a new player! I would prefer a multi-channel disc I guess. Thanks in advance. Jason.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
You will be hard pressed to convince a non-Audiophile of the merits of hi-rez with a 2CH demo. The only way that would fly is if the redbook version in the comparo was horribly done, and the SACD was not.

So, yes, MC will be the ticket. But what type of music? Being a rock kind of guy, a classical demo would leave me cold, not matter how good.

A lot of folks will probably mention Dark Side of the Moon. While this recording is made for 5.1 treatment, its is not, IMHO, the last word in sonics.

Perhaps Beck's Sea Change. Lots of accessible music, and killer sonics.

Or Bowie's Heathen for the same reasons.

Back to Classic Rock, lets not forget Elton (GBYBR) or The Who's Tommy.

BGL

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Alison Krauss and Union Station-Live
The Thorns-self titled
Beck-Sea Change
Pink Floyd-Dark Side of the Moon
any of the RCA Living Stereo classical music discs
Elton John-Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
Joe Henderson-Lush Life: The Music of Billy Strayhorn

If your player is universal

Fleetwood Mac-Rumours
Eagles-Hotel California

of the above, the best sounding to me is Alison Krauss, followed by Fleetwood Mac's Rumours.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
My favs so far:

Patricia Barber - Cafe Blue (STUNNING, Hybrid, 2ch only)
Pink Floyd - DSoTM (great m/c)
Roxy Music - Avalon (great m/c)

JasonF

Agent
Thanks for the replys. I am kind of a rock guy. I also listen to country. So I'll probably pick up Alison Krauss and the Beck discs. By the way, where do you buy the discs? Internet, local, etc. ? Thanks again.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Beck "Sea Change" and Alison Krauss "Live" -- you can't go wrong with those two!

I've seen them both in Best Buy, Tower, Virgin, and they're available at all the usual online stores. A couple of popular discs--won't be hard to find.

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
beck's "sea change" for overall WOW factor.

and although it's not such a sonic fest as that, gary burton's "like minds" (w/ pat metheny, chick corea, roy haynes and dave holland) sounds super to me, especially the mc mix, even.

AricB

Second Unit
I guess I'm a rock guy, and I would say:
sacd's
David Bowie-Heathen
Beck-Sea Change
Joe Satriani-Strange Beautiful Music
Steely Dan-Gaucho
Snow Patrol-Final Straw
Pink Floyd-DSOTM

DVD-a
Porcupine Tree-in absentia
Steely Dan-Everything Must Go

Perry Jonkheer

Second Unit
What do you guys mean by m/c???

Also, what is meant by universal player?

Please excuse my ignorance as I'm just getting into SACD as well...

Kevin T

Screenwriter
m/c means multichannel. a universal player is one that will play cd, dvd, sacd, and dvd-a discs.

kevin t

Timber

Stunt Coordinator
One of my newer favorites is Peter Gabriel's UP. Very good use of M/C and bass that can loosen fillings. Great music.

Tim

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Joe Satriani's Strange Beautiful Music...it's sharp in stereo or M/C, only drawback is it's a Sony single-layer, no CD program. It's a good 'un!:emoji_thumbsup:

cwhite

Second Unit
"In A Silent Way" by Miles Davis is light years ahead of the CD, though the "Complete" 4-CD box set uses the same source as the SACD.

Rob M.

Stunt Coordinator

Amen to that. This is the disc I always use to impress people. The Beck disc is very good also. I'd also throw in the recent Allman Brothers' releases, Live at the Fillmore and Eat a Peach.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Sheryl Crow - The Globe Sessions is an absolutely wonderful sounding SACD - one of the best in my collection and right up there with Sea Change in quality.

Robert Powers

Stunt Coordinator
About a year ago "ROLLING STONE" magazine had a free SACD "Sampler Disc" in the December 2003 issue. This is actually a pretty good disc but I don't know if there is anyway of getting a copy now.

It contained some Pink Floyd, Aerosmith, Elton John, Billy Joel, Nora Jones and a few others.

My favorite SACDs are
ELTON JOHN: GOODBYE YELLOW BRICK ROAD
PINK FLOYD: DARK SIDE OF THE MOON
AEROSMITH: TOYS IN THE ATTIC

Nora Jones' "Come Away With Me" SACD sounds really good in multichannel but I just don't care that much for her music.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
I still think Alison Krauss and U.S. - Live is still by far, my most impressive SACD, but honorable mention goes to...

Beck - Sea Change
Pink Floyd - DSOTM
Peter Gabriel - Up
Diana Krall - The Girl In The Other Room

For the music, which I still think is the most important, I also highly recommend

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
Dave Brubeck - Take Five
Norah Jones - Come Away With Me
And any of the Ryan Adams releases

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
The Dave Brubeck Time Out 2ch layer is pretty impressive. Don't really care for the MC layer, though
I feel the same way about the Tommy SACD release. Great 2ch, uninspiring M/C
Again, have to mention DSOTM, AKUS Live, Beck Sea Change, Also, the Mobile Fidelity series, especially the Aimee Mann stuff, is pretty damn good, though only 2ch.
While not the best sonically, the new Allman Brothers stuff is pretty good, if you are into them.
Anything by Keb Mo is great in my book
Forgetting a bunch, but I am sure others will mention them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks