What's new

MOST IMMERSIVE MOVIE SCENES.... (1 Viewer)

The ButtKicker

Auditioning
Real Name
Dustin
We want to know what your favorite movies or movie scenes are in regards to realism and immersion. If you are a ButtKicker owner or have ever experienced one, what are your favorite movies or scenes to watch with it? We prefer movies that kick a lot of butt, however, feel free to voice your opinion on any movie or scene that has a great immersion factor.

Just to get the conversation going, one of my favorite butt-kicking scenes is in the movie, Transformers, where the Autobots are defending the Cube from the Decepticons. The best part is when Ironhide does an aerial barrel-roll over a screaming civilian to avoid incoming enemy missiles and the scene goes into slow motion. As the air-borne Transformer and enemy missiles slow to a crawl, the bass pitch drops with a stunning crescendo that, in our ButtKicker demo theater here, really made it seem like a Transformer was soaring overhead.

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
Well, since you asked ...

Immersible scenes usually aren't ones with a lot of CG or fantasy and they certainly don't become more immersible with some 'magic fingers' device without the coin slot.

Try scenes in the films: Pickup on South Street, Bicycle Thieves, Black Orpheus or Kiss Me Deadly.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
For me its many of the scenes in Chinatown where the camera is just peeking over Jake Gittes' shoulder as he searches a house or pokes around in someone's desk. You really feel like you are right there, a witness to the action.

The opening scenes of Alien as the camera movies around the empty ship and sets the mood for the film to come. Great stuff.

I don't have a buttkicker so I can't comment on that.

Doug

The ButtKicker

Auditioning
Real Name
Dustin
Rich,
Well, I'm curious if you've ever dealt with Tactile transducers, specifically a ButtKicker? I think even if a film involves CG and fantasy it can certainly immerse you. Of course there isn't a Transformer flying over my head, but with the ButtKicker, it really does feel like there could be. Even a more realistic movie, like Rocky, when Apollo and Rocky are exchanging blows, you can "feel" the punches. So it immerses you. I see where you're coming from, but i don't think you can limit a persons ability to feel immersed in a film. Just my two cents worth.

The ButtKicker

Auditioning
Real Name
Dustin
Doug,
I too love the opening scene of Alien. The way the camera moves around really sets the tone. If you ever do get a ButtKicker or have a friend that has one, you should watch the sequel, Aliens. Especially scene 15 "Awakenings" (1:52). That scene will rock your world.

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich

And your opinion is welcomed. But to Doug's example of Chinatown for a moment ... let's say (just for discussion purposes) there was some device that accurately translates what happens on the screen to the protagonist to you the viewer.

So, when Jake gets his nose cut, you get your nose cut.

Does that limit your immersion in the film? You bet. You'd be screaming in pain in between saying some bad words as you run for the theatre door. Point being that true immersion in a film is like a dream that (when successful) takes one into the story. To dream we need to be in a very passive state, not one where we're thinking 'wow, that was some blow to the side of the head' or even 'gee, that aftershock from the earthquake was just like a remember the one I experienced.' Movies are not a realistic video game, that's the difference.

If you want to use 'immersion' as marketingspeak, that's fine to.

The ButtKicker

Auditioning
Real Name
Dustin
I guess when I said immersion, I didn't mean translating over from film to actual reality. I understand the definition of immersion, and there are different ways to look at it. I meant from more of a "enhancing your movie watching experience with tactiles and less "dreamlike immersion" or not translating actual reality from movie to person.

Maybe "immersion" isn't the right word, Lets just say your favorite scenes from movies, whether it was an action packed explosion or a scene where the tension just has you sitting on the edge of your seat, or even like Doug wrote about the beginning of Alien when the camera sets the tone for the film.

Rich, I certainly see how the more dreamlike take on immersion wouldn't make sense in the way i was portraying it, so thank you for clearing that up.

Jeff Pounds

Second Unit
It may be a bit of a cliche, but how about the steadycam shot in GoodFellas?

Seeing that shot from outside the Copa, through the kitchen and into the main dining area was just a phenomenal piece of movie making. You really felt that you were in Henry Hill's world during that shot.

Amazing work.

Britton

Screenwriter
I have always found the scene when Michael is meeting with Sollozzo and McKlusky at the restaurant in The Godfather to be quite immersive.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

I remember seeing Aliens in 70mm in a huge theater and the sound was quite impressive even at the time. I imagine that the buttkicker would be an interesting addition.

I think the buttkicker could also be used in other kinds of films however. I think creative uses for it in suspense films, something like the "stings" in a John Carpenter film, but adding the jolt of the buttkicker to it could be fun. Of course there are the 70s Universal films that were done in Sensurround like Earthquake and Rollercoaster could get the same effect with the buttkicker.

I've always been a sucker for that kind of thing be it 3D or other things that some would call a gimmick, William Castle kinds of things, but I would call showmanship.

Doug

The ButtKicker

Auditioning
Real Name
Dustin
Jeff,
I don't think the steadycam shot from Goodfellas is cliche. Scorsese always seems to immerse the audience well. Particularly in Goodfellas and also Raging Bull.

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich

Totally agree.

In Goodfellas, the camera lens becomes the narrative where we get a sense of a night out with the women dressed to kill, the high of coming into the hot club in town, the music's swinging and a table just appears for you front and center.

No words could describe that as well as Scorsese shows it.

The ButtKicker

Auditioning
Real Name
Dustin
How about the "depth charge" scene in U-571? (1:17:34) Less about immersive, and more about teeth-rattling bass. For all the bass lovers, or even if you've watched this scene with a ButtKicker or other tactile, what did you think?

Jeff Pounds

Second Unit

Just to clarify, I didn't mean the scene itself was cliche... the scene is brillant.

I meant me chosing it was a cliche.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
Is Buttkicker an advertiser here on HTF? Or is this thread substituting for ads?

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
One of my many favorite scenes that would quality for "tactile" immersion would be the introduction to the aliens in the War of the Worlds remake. I've never used a Buttkicker, but have plenty of experience with Bass Shakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks