Most Hated College Football Teams

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RossTerry, Dec 5, 2001.

1. RossTerry

RossTerry Guest

Which teams are the most hated? and not simply because of a rivalry. are there teams that you hope lose every game? or teams you like to root against when watching even if they arent playing your favorite team?

2. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

Being a Georgia Tech graduate I root for any team that is playing against Georgia. But that's a rivalry. For a non-rivalry grudge, I'd bet the most (un)popular team would be Notre Dame.

3. Steven K

Steven K Supporting Actor

Most hated:

1. Florida- hands down, bar none. They redeemed a few points on my list when the Titans got Jevon Kearse, but Spurrier alone offsets anything good to ever come out of Gainesville.

2. Kentucky- Since Hal Mumme is gone, I dont hate them nearly as much. But I still hate em.

3. Michigan- I think that they are consistently overrated, and produce players with some of the largest egos (see Charles Woodson). They also lost alot of points with me when Woodson won the Heisman over Peyton Manning.

4. BYU- all they do is whine, whine, whine... if they played a real schedule, I might respect them more.

5. Notre Dame- I used to really like ND... but college football at Notre Dame is ALL about politics now, and its caused me to lose all respect for their program

4. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Not counting rivalries, I would say Florida because I do not care for Steve Spurrier and Oregon State because of their coach, Dennis Erickson.

Being a Michigan fan, I always root for whichever team is playing Ohio State and Notre Dame, but those are rivalry-related.

5. Ron Eastman

Ron Eastman Second Unit

Mark me down as a Notre Dame hater. It's simply because I can't stand all the television coverage they get compared to the many other interesting teams I'd like to watch, even when Notre Dame is having a poor year. Aside from the "Pac-10 Game of the Week" on Fox Sports Net we rarely get to see games from that conference in my area.

6. Jeff_A

Jeff_A Screenwriter

Florida easily tops my list for obvious reasons (note the coach). I HATE FLORIDA! [​IMG] Nebraska would probably be second. Only because they are so heavily favored in most of their games that I find myself feeling sorry for their opponent. [​IMG]

7. Dave Morton

Dave Morton Supporting Actor

Dave
    I hate ND and everything associated with that school

8. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

I'd say the most hated college football programs are, in no particular order:

1) Florida: Because of Spurrier. On a personal note, I think their uniforms are ugly. That's just me.

2) Florida State: Bowden isn't as bad as Spurrier, but a lot of people don't like Bowden. He got a lot of flack two years ago with the way he handled the Peter Warrick situation. People also don't like the "Tomahawk Chop".

3) Michigan: Michigan fans have a reputation for being pompous, and I have seen this over the years. That's not to say that other schools don't have pompous fans. Back in the '90s, Michigan was also terribly overrated year after year. They still are to some degree, but not as much as when they were a pre-season top-ten team every year and finished 7-4.

4) Penn State: Penn State has a reputation for having a clean program where players graduate. The uniforms are unassuming, and Penn State players are known overall for being even-keeled (just hand the ball to the referree after a touchdown). Paterno is loved by Penn State fans for being a great coach and stressing academics. However, Penn State Pride ("We Are Penn State") is too much for many non-Penn Staters to take. Penn State fans are often considered arrogant as a result. Also, Penn State is often considered to be overrated. That hasn't happened the last two seasons because the teams were known to be bad going in, but Penn State certainly was overrated in 1997 and 1999. Finally, many non-Penn Staters have a hard time accepting that Paterno is really a straight arrow. Many contend that Penn State can't run such a clean football program. They say that Penn State just hasn't been caught yet.

5) Notre Dame: For the reasons others have stated. For me, the contract with NBC is annoying. Seeing the United States Postal Service promote Notre Dame games on NBC in the USA Today is too much for me. Besides, Notre Dame football isn't close to what it once was.

6) Miami: To some degree, I still think there is a stigma about Miami from the '80s and '90s as an undisciplined program. Butch Davis and Larry Coker have cleaned up the program, but stigmas die hard. I still remember Miami losing the Orange Bowl in 1995 to Nebraska because they got tired in the second half. Miami exerted so much energy during the pre-game and celebrating after every good play in the first-half, that they ran out of gas and lost late. I also remember the Cotton Bowl game years ago where they had some 25 penalties, with many personal fouls.

9. Armando Zamora

Armando Zamora Second Unit

Rivalry-related (from a Michigan fan perspective):
    1. Ohio State...nuff said. They could go 10-0 going into the "big" game. If they lose, then they consider their season a failure. Gimme a break.
    2. Michigan State...Sparty seems to get up for one big game a year. Guess which game that is.
    3. Notre Dame...just because they are Notre Dame. While they have had some tough years recently, I sure wish that the football program would join a decent conference so that they can experience how tough it is to play a conference schedule week-in-week-out. (However, we'll know that will never happen, especially when they're raking in tons of $$$ on TV and merchandise deals which they probably don't have to share, unlike teams in conferences)
    The neutral perspective:
    1. Florida. Same reasons as above.
    2. Nebraska. Every team seems to go through its ups-and-downs. The Huskers seem to never go through a period of turmoil or mediocracy. For that fact, I hate 'em. Not to mention, UM had to share the national championship with them in '97. [​IMG]
    3. South Carolina. I'm not a big Lou Holtz fan. (Another reason I hated Notre Dame.)

10. John Johnson

John Johnson Agent

11. Jason L.

Jason L. Second Unit

Notre Dame football - how do I hate thee? Let me count the ways:

1. Why is it that Notre Dame is the only team that plays all the paddycake teams from the service academies? I think a few years ago they played Army, Navy, and Air Force in the same season!! What a joke. There is no reason that a "top tier college football team" should be playing these guys.

2. The TV contract. I don't mind the contract so much, what are they supposed to do - not take the money?, but the announcers are such Notre Dame homers that it makes me sick. From hyping spare players to the moon - ex. Ron Paulos(?) "Joe Who?" "will win multiple Heisman Trophies" to Rick Mirer to Tony Rice, and having to constantly hear about great the history and tradition is at Notre Dame, blah, blah, blah. The announcers barely even talk about the other team - they are too busy spewing about how great Notre Dame is.

3. This one is what bothers me the most. When Notre Dame wins, it is because they are a great team. When they lose, they always have built-in excuses - that these are really good kids that are students first and athletes second - that they are a small school compared to the big state schools - that they don't recruit "bad" kids. Some of this may be true, however, you don't hear Stanford and other schools making these excuses and are better academic schools than Notre Dame.

4. I have never, ever seen a team get more calls than ND gets when playing at home.

5. A lot of ND fans I know are borderline racist. They like ND because they attract white kids, that they are somehow better than other schools.

12. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Hated rival: U$C.

Hated non-rivals:

1. Any school coached by Steve Spurrier.

2. Any school coached by Dennis Erickson

13. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman

14. John Thomas

John Thomas Cinematographer

Being for Tennessee, that almost guarantees that I'll dislike Florida. However, If it weren't for Steve Spurrier, this would be a more friendly rivalry, such as the TN/Alabama one (which used to be the BIG game). He's such a twerp, though that always whines and cries if one thing doesn't go his way (which was fun to watch last Saturday, btw [​IMG]) and the whole litany of Citrus Bowl comments raised the bar for TN fans from dislike to hate. I must admit that he is one of the top collegiate coaches but he's such an ass that it overrides any respect I have for him for that.
    Btw, you guys do know that Spurrier is originally from Tennessee, right? I believe he was from a middle TN city, like Manchester or something like that...I'm ashamed about that.:b
    No other team holds that level of resentment but Notre Dame would come in second. I think others have touched on this but why does one school get a contract? Why do they automatically make a big bowl if they have a winning season? Jason L. hit on most of my reasons for disliking the Dame.
    Othr teams that irk me are those that get more (unwarranted) attention than the deserving SEC teams. Particularly the Big 10. C'mon guys, you know the Big 10 isn't as strong as the SEC. The only reason that they get hyped is because more sports writers come from Big 10 colleges than any other conference (with the PAC10 coming in second I believe). The Charles Woodson Heisman was a sham with ESPN being responsible for the theft of said trophy from Peyton Manning. It was disgusting to see the progression of this debacle.
    I'd have to say that, as a Volunteer, ESPN seems to have some sort of vendetta against the TN program. The unfounded claims of student cheating (can't unring that bell, eh?) and the weekly 'dissing' from Herbstriet and Corso (who is a moron, btw - how does this guy get a job talking about college football?) are tipoffs to this railroading scheme.
    Anyhoo, I've ranted rnough for now. I'll let someone else take over for a bit. [​IMG]

15. RossTerry

RossTerry Guest

texas anyone? i figure texas is extreme (either you hate them or you love them)

16. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

It's hard for me to hate Texas. They always have a top, or top 3 recruiting class, every year. Yet they still manage to ass out at the end of every year (this year being no exception).

17. AdrianJ

AdrianJ Supporting Actor

Notre Dame. And mostly because of the Notre Dame Broadcasting Corporation (NBC). It's just ridiculous that they broadcast every Notre Dame game when there are so many better games out there. Of course, I'm probably still bitter that they said that the Big East wasn't good enough for them to play football in. (And that decision had nothing to do with football, but everything to do with money.) Also, the BCS's preferential treatment to Notre Dame. There is no way Notre Dame should have been an at large BCS selection last year. At least, they got creamed in the Fiesta Bowl, but that should have been Virginia Tech there instead of Notre Dame.

18. SteveA

SteveA Supporting Actor

I hate Notre Dame for the same reason stated by AdrianJ: they had no business being in the Fiesta Bowl last year. Notre Dame supposedly attracts a large TV audience. Who's watching them? That's what I want to know! A bunch of old geezers in nursing homes that remember a time when Notre Dame actually mattered?

19. Anthony Moore

Anthony Moore Supporting Actor

ok guys, time to stick up for my school.

Everyone seems to hate Spurrier. To tell you the truth, im not too fond of his actions and personality either. But Im not sure if we'd be half as good as we are without him. PLUS, he makes the game interesting. How many FLORIDA highlights do you see on Sportscenter because of the cool-ass plays that Spurrier designs? A lot.

Another thing Im seeing is that a lot of people hate Florida teams in general. The ONLY reason I can see is because we are so DOMINATING. How many other states can say its not weird for them to have 3 of their state schools in the top 10 (and sometimes 5) at the SAME TIME? Its no big deal to us around here cause it happens all the time. This is the first year in ten years that when FSU played Florida they BOTH werent in the top ten. Now thats amazing.

Just some friendly sports talk. No offense to anyone.

20. Bobby T

Bobby T Supporting Actor

1. Florida

2. Notre Dame

3. Texas(the orange puke)

The first 2 are well covered above. One of my biggest beefs with Texas is they won't seem to ever play Oklahoma in Norman, only somewhere in Texas. And no I'm not an OK fan but I do like the rivalry.