What's new

Most Films An By Actor, Actress And Director In Your DVD Collection (1 Viewer)

Roger_S

Stunt Coordinator
Director: Alfred Hitchcock with 41 films. I have 24 by Steven Spielberg which includes his 23 feature films plus one telefilm, Duel.

Actor: John Wayne. I had 56 but have temporarily gone down to 52 as I just gave away 4 films that I would have duplicates of once next week's box set arrives. When it does come, my Duke DVD library will be bumped up to an even 60 movies.

Actress: I'm not positive but it's likely Jodie Foster. I have 17 of her movies including one she directed but did not star in. That includes one telefilm, Svengali. I have two versions of The Silence of the Lambs but only counted that movie once. I would say my collections of the movies of Doris Day and Katharine Hepburn are close with Maureen O'Hara not far behind.

PaulaJ

Supporting Actor
Hmmmm... well, without actually sitting down and counting titles....

Actor: I probably have more movies with David Carradine than any other actor in my collection but that's because the dude has made SO many movies (and so many of them are bad!) :) I also try to collect everything or at least a lot of the movies with Stephen Chow, Jackie Chan, James Stewart, John Wayne, James Cagney, William Holden, Charlie Chaplin, Buster Keaton, Harold Lloyd, Richard Barthelmess, Fred Astaire, Gene Kelly, William S. Hart, Russell Crowe, Hugh Jackman, Tom Hanks, Ronald Colman

Actress: Not really sure which actress' movies I have the most of, but I have an awful lot with Mary Pickford, Barbara Stanwyck, Carole Lombard, Audrey Hepburn, Judy Garland and Lillian Gish.

Director: Hitchcock (DUH!), followed by (in no particular order etc.) John Ford, Akira Kurosawa, Ernst Lubitsch, Billy Wilder, D.W. Griffith, Charlie Chaplin, Powell & Pressburger

Have all the Zatoichi movies & TV shows currently released on DVD too...

And lots more really that I don't necessarily collect but they keep popping up in movies I buy -- actors like Marlene Dietrich, Humphrey Bogart, William Powell & Myrna Loy, Cary Grant, Shirley Temple... the list goes on and on!

Karl R

Stunt Coordinator
Director:
Alfred Hitchcock: 41 films

Actor:
John Wayne: 43 films
Cary Grant: 34 films

Actress:
Marilyn Monroe: 20 films
Marlene Dietrich: 15 films

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Haven't checked in a while, but Boris Karloff was at about 70 titles then and Vincent Price and Christopher Lee around 60 each. Lee may have caught up now, though, since I went on an orgy of buying R2 Hammer obscurities and he's in quite a few of them.

EDIT: Yes, Lee has moved into the lead with 76 titles, I discovered when checking DVD Profiler.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
DIRECTOR: Alfred Hitchcock
ACTOR: Woody Allen (mostly in films he also directed)
ACTRESS: Barbara Stanwyck

tyler payne

Second Unit
Real Name
tyler payne
TOP THREE IN EACH CATAGORY

DIRECTOR:
ROBERT RODRIGUEZ 11 but that includes Four Rooms which has multiple directors
JOHN WOO 10
PETER JACKSON 10
TAKASHI MIIKE 10
JACKIE CHAN 10

ACTOR:
JACKIE CHAN 61 (includes cameos and uncredited roles)
BRUCE WILLIS 16
SAMUEL L. JACKSON 15

ACTRESS:
SELMA HAYEK 9
MICHELLE Yeoh 8
Qi Shu 6

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for all the replies, guys!

While I was, of course, referring to "leading" actors I suppose most of us (if we took the question literally) would have more movies with Whit Bissell or Dabbs Greer than any other actor. On that level, I think I have even more movies with Ian Wolfe than John Wayne in my collection.

norrisMc

Stunt Coordinator
I have 40 DVD's all starring DIANE LANE

Unfaithful
The Perfect Storm
Under The Tuscan Sun
Murder at 1600
Judge Dredd
Priceless Beauty
Miss All American Beauty
Jack
Trigger Happy (Mad Dog Time)
The Outsiders (The Complete Novel)
The Outsiders
Rumble Fish
The Cotton Club
Little Romance
Must Love Dogs
The Only Thrill
Knight Moves
Chaplin
Indian Summer
The Glass House
Hardball
Descending Angel
Six Pack
Directors: Wolfgang Petersen
My New Gun
The Big Town
My Dog Skip
Ladies and Gentlemen: The Fabulous Stains (making of)
Searching For Debra Winger
Unfaithful
GunShy
A Walk On The Moon
Wild Bill
Oldest Living Confederate Widow Tells All
The Setting Sun
Vital Signs
Playboy's Sex In The Movies (Unfaithful)
National Lampoon's Goes To The Movies (Movie Madness)
Streets of Fire
Lonesome Dove

http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_lis...39&cast_id=395

Phew!

Dave GR

Stunt Coordinator
I love DVD Profiler - makes this kind of thing so easy.

Director: Alfred Hitchcock (30)
Actor: John Wayne (49)
Actress: Marilyn Monroe (13)

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S

Wow! Isn't it a shame "Lady Beware" isn't on DVD?!?!?

I don't really keep track at all, and my collection is ever-changing. However, I'd guess the actor I have the most of is Jonathan Rhys Meyers because I adore him. Lots of Al Pacino, too.

norrisMc

Stunt Coordinator

Yes. "LADY BEWARE" would be great to have on DVD. It's a real relic of 80's kitsh but Diane Lane is great in it. Anchor Bay are you watching!?

I love Pacino too!

Matthias Wolf

Auditioning
Real Name
Matthias Wolf
Don't you love those newbies that dig around and resurrect old threads with stupid statistics? :)

Director: Hal Hartley (10)

Actress: Jodie Foster (10)

Actor: Humphrey Bogart (8)

PatW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Patricia
Off the top of my head:
Directors - Hitchcock and Spielberg (tied),James Cameron
Actors - Mel Gibson, Samuel L. Jackson, Harrison Ford
Actresses - Meryl Streep, Sigourney Weaver, Keira Knightley

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Noone ever answered Scott-S's question above about how to use DVDProfiler to determine this.

I use DVDProfiler...and would love to figure this out for my own collection...but haven't yet been able to do so. Any help?

Dave GR

Stunt Coordinator
I just used the filters as well. Like when working out which director had the most films, I knew who the frontrunners in my collection would be (Hitchcock, Ford, Hawks, etc.) so I ran a filter for each of them to see who had the most. Don't know if there's a way to write a report to do it for you.

Matthias Wolf

Auditioning
Real Name
Matthias Wolf
With DVDProfiler alone, you have only the filter method already described. But IIRC, phpdvdprofiler and some external skins do have such a statistic function.

I wrote a quick and dirty (really) XML transformation to get the stats. Feel free to download the XSLT file DirectorActorCount.xslt and then do the following:
  • Export your Owned collection into an XML file.
  • Open the XML file with a text editor and insert the following line *after* the first line (

Julio Diaz

Stunt Coordinator
Some quick back-of-the-envelope (literally!) calculation comes up with:

ACTOR: Samuel L. Jackson with 10 titles (the three Star Wars films he's in, Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown, Kill Bill Vol. 2, The Incredibles, Changing Lanes, True Romance and Unbreakable). Closest runners up each have 8: Johnny Depp, Ben Affleck, William Shatner, Patrick Stewart and Orlando Bloom, (though Affleck, Stewart and Bloom each include duplicate versions of the same films).

ACTRESS: If I count multiple versions of the same film, it's Liv Tyler with 8 (both versions of all three Lord of the Rings films plus Jersey Girl and Stealing Beauty). Eliminate duplicate titles and it's a tie at five between Natalie Portman (Leon a.k.a. The Professional, Garden State and Star Wars 1-3) and Uma Thurman (Pulp Fiction, The Producers, Kill Bill 1 & 2 and The Truth About Cats and Dogs). (I also have five with Halle Berry, but that includes both versions of the first X-Men movie.)

DIRECTOR: At 8 each, it's a tie between Tim Burton (Ed Wood, Edward Scissorhands, The Corpse Bride, Beetlejuice, Sleepy Hollow, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Mars Attacks! and Batman) and Peter Jackson (both versions of all three Rings films plus DeadAlive and King Kong). Eliminate the duplicates, and Burton takes it solo. Quentin Tarantino and Kevin Smith are close behind with 6 each and no duplications among them (I'm including Sin City in Tarantino's total).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks