What's new

Most Disappointing Transfer ? (1 Viewer)

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Most disappointing I've seen so far...

Dark City

Rambo First Blood Part II
Predator

Terminator II: Judgment Day

And yeah I'd like to know what guy didn't like The Godfather too. That transfer is waaaaay better than the poorly done 1997 restoration they used for the 2001 dvd.

Claus Nielsen

Stunt Coordinator
Originally Posted by Scott Calvert

The following MGM transfers all exhibit substantially more detail than a DVD is capable of delivering, upscaled or otherwise:

Midnight Cowboy

The Taking Of Pelham One Two Three

Escape From New York

Invasion Of The Body Snatchers

The Horse Soldiers

Some Like It Hot

Platoon

Vera Cruz

The Big Country

A Bridge Too Far

Fiddler On The Roof

Last Tango In Paris

Mad Max

The Manchurian Candidate

Raging Bull

Return Of The Living Dead

Rob Roy

To Live And Die In L.A.

You forgot Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, which is a wonderful transfer.

The most disappointing BD in my collection is the Scandinavian edition of Pulp Fiction. Heavy DNR on that one. I hope the upcoming U.S. release is much better.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I think I would say That's Entertainment. I only rented it, and I think I understand why its a poor transfer (actually, the transfer may actually be perfect, but it doesn't look good).

To do That's Entertainment right, the releasing company (I think it was WB) would have had to go back to the several dozen original sources and clean up/restore/re-scan/remaster the individual scenes used in That's Entertainment.

Unfortunately, when That's Entertainment was made in 1974, many of the clips were not in the best shape. So when it was shown theatrically, some of the movie didn't look all that good to begin with.

When it came time to create the Blu-Ray, choices had to be made - do they recreate the theatrical experience of seeing That's Entertainment, or do they attempt to recreate the theatrical experience of each individual clip.

Add in the fact that the theatrical That's Entertainment was a mix of Widescreen ratios, Academy ratios, and MAR Academy ratio cropped to look widescreen just complicated it more.

I don't know if all the original clips exist where they could be cleaned up, but do this this film right, it would take a lot of resources - both financial and manpower. Since this BR came out early (in terms of the BR lifespan), and it probably is not cost-beneficial to do it right, I understand why it is a poor BR. But its still disappointing.

David

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by David Weicker
To do That's Entertainment right, the releasing company (I think it was WB) would have had to go back to the several dozen original sources and clean up/restore/re-scan/remaster the individual scenes used in That's Entertainment.

Which is exactly what they did, replacing many scenes from the original negatives with upgraded elements from restored materials that had been prepared in recent years. I think the three films look great, taking into consideration the variety of sources used.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Originally Posted by Claus Nielsen

You forgot Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, which is a wonderful transfer.

I have to kindly disagree with you. "CCBB" is quite possibly the best blu-ray transfer I have ever seen

dmiller68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Miller
Ultraviolet what a horrible transfer. Full of artifacts although it could have been the movie. :)

PattyFraser

Second Unit
Gosford Park. Disappointing transfer -mostly no better than the DVD. And it has NONE of the DVDs special features.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Originally Posted by GMpasqua

Quote:

I have to kindly disagree with you. "CCBB" is quite possibly the best blu-ray transfer I have ever seen

Even if you're not instantly grading it when giving it that first spin...it's like "damn, this film looks amazing on blu ray...I think I got my money's worth here." You can't help but just notice it.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I suspect anyone who is disappointed in The Godfather blu-ray must have never seen it in the theatre. I think MGM has been doing a pretty solid job with their masters, if only because they're not messing with them too much the way Universal is.

But hands down, the worst blu-ray has to be Attack Force Z, presented in the wrong ratio, soft and washed out:

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Yeah they don't call Gordon Willis "The Prince of Darkness" for nothing.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Setting video-related artifact issues asides, my main problem with MGM is that they're using old recycled Laserdisc transfers for Blu-ray. Is it too much to ask that they use fresh transfers on older catalog films? My fear is that the studio just won't bother remastering anything unless it's an A-List title. A lot of people are happy walking away with ten dollar Blu's from Best Buy and that's OK. Personally, I'd like to see the studio put a little more effort into all their Blu-rays otherwise I'll just stick with the DVDs I already have.

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Luisito34

Setting video-related artifact issues asides, my main problem with MGM is that they're using old recycled Laserdisc transfers for Blu-ray. Is it too much to ask that they use fresh transfers on older catalog films? My fear is that the studio just won't bother remastering anything unless it's an A-List title. A lot of people are happy walking away with ten dollar Blu's from Best Buy and that's OK. Personally, I'd like to see the studio put a little more effort into all their Blu-rays otherwise I'll just stick with the DVDs I already have.

This is absolutely not true. Where did you hear such rediculous information?

The great majority of their bluray releases comes from HD masters created in the last 2-4 years for the mgmHD channel.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Originally Posted by Les Fowler

... Time Bandits were terrible....

I hated that. Was really looking forward to seeing that wonder Divimax DVD bettered. I didn't even buy the blu ray because of that. I'm wondering if they will redo it.

6550orbust

Auditioning
Real Name
chris lwowski
I have a Sony vw60 projector. My screen is 3ftby 7ft. Once upon a time in the west looks fantastic. Check out Quigly Down Under. Also great.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks