What's new

Most disappointing abandoned dvd series (1 Viewer)

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
well, it doesn't hurt Party Of Five's case that two of it's stars are on current hit series' as well

nikkif99uk

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nikki Fineing
Where's the rest of Living Single I loved this show, wish Warner would release Season 2

60stvfan

Auditioning
Real Name
Chuck
It really ticks me off about Cheyenne being discontinued after only one season. Seems like it wasn't THAT long ago that the first season was even announced.

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor
I'm not sure whether these are abandoned or just in limbo, but I'm sad that Fox haven't released any further seasons of 'The Practice' and 'Picket Fences' after releasing the first season in each case. Has anyone heard of any plans to continue these?

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
I started this thread back in March of this year so perhaps it's a good time for me to look at my list and see if there have been any changes:

1) LITB - nope. Still dead in the water.
2) HGWT - ibid.
3) Big Valley - ibid.
4) Voyage - told that there is some hope for this one reappearing. Good news.
5) Daniel Boone - same as above. Keeping fingers crossed.
6) Hazel - nothing new that I've heard. Seemingly dead.
7) Green Acres - most assuredly dead for now.
8) Partridge Family - great news as this one is back up and running!
9) That Girl - same as above! Great!
10) Quincy - nothing new that I've heard.
11) MTMS - great news today that this one is coming back!
12) Beverly Hillbillies - CBS/P has finally got this one on the schedule!
13) Petticoat Junction - ibid.
14) Kojak - nothing new. Same place as in March.
15) Disney Treasures: Elfago Baca and Swamp Fox - Disney doesn't seem interested in finishing these.
16) Flipper - nothing new.

Out of 16 shows I listed we have gotten 4 that have definite release dates. We also have solid news that 3 more are not abandoned and we should reasonably expect to see them next year (Voyage, Boone, and MTM). That makes 7 of 16 that have come out of the grave. Nine more to go.

Gary "would love to see a few more of my top 10 get renewed life, but at least we have seen some progress" O.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
IRONSIDE and DIAGNOSIS MURDER are two series that appear to be in danger of being abandoned (or put on lengthy hiatus). I'm surprised either came out since sales prospects weren't all that great but I find both highly entertaining and hoped to see more.

I'm not the LITB fans that others are, but I'm still amazed that this got abandoned. Universal's use of flippers probably did more to kill many of their early forays into TVonDVD than anything.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Shout! has previously informed me that Ironside is most definitely NOT in danger of being canceled from their DVD schedule; their DVD producers have been busy on other projects and haven't had time to start work on Season 3 yet. Expect it in 2009, I guess.

70sTVlover

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick
I e-mailed someone at Paramount called Kathy about Diagnosis Murder she said my interest will be passed on to their marketing dept.
It probably wont do anything, Im suprised it's not doing well on DVD

nikkif99uk

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nikki Fineing

from my original list Adam-12 is finally getting another release and their rumours of Boy Meets World and Everwood potentially getting more, others still heard nothing about

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
You're welcome. I was poking around the message boards at Shout! Factory and I decided to also look for Ironside info, and I found this recent post by Brian Ward of Shout!, which basically says the same thing, only better:

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
1.) DRAGNET (color 1960s version) --Hurt, no doubt, by the DVD-18 debacle; perhaps if Season 1 had been on single-sided discs, we'd have the complete series by now.

2.) LEAVE IT TO BEAVER --Astonishing that this still hasn't been given the same treatment as I LOVE LUCY, THE HONEYMOONERS, ANDY GRIFFITH and THE DICK VAN DYKE SHOW; this is another Universal show, like DRAGNET, that was hurt badly by the DVD-18 issue.

3.) MAVERICK --The fact that it stars still-known and popular actor James Garner, and spawned a $100,000,000+ grossing big-screen version in 1994 (co-starring Garner) for the studio, apparently cuts no ice with Warner Bros; we're still left with DVDs of the 3-episode "sampler" from years ago, and the short-lived, inferior 1970s NEW MAVERICK series that fans weren't particularly clamoring for.

4.) THE CHAMPIONS --The first half of this one-season series got limited release in R1 from A&E Home Video, and then was abandoned; however, it is available complete overseas.

5.) BEANY & CECIL --Image's amazing "Collector's Edition" best-of disc is long out-of-print; surprising that Classic Media hasn't picked this series up, as they specialize in classic animated TV series of the 1960s that are not owned by the majors.

6.) GET A LIFE! --Only 2 "best of" discs (now long out-of-print) were released in the early day of DVD; hampered by music rights and possible producer issues.

7.) ZATOICHI: THE TV SERIES --Media Blasters only released Season 1 of this four-season 1970s series. Possibly stalled, but more likely abandoned.

8.) PLAYBOY AFTER DARK/PLAYBOY'S PENTHOUSE --Hef's syndicated TV "party" variety shows of the 1950s & 1960s, stalled/abandoned after two compilation releases, the last of which streeted in May 2007. Probable music rights issues, though this may be just stalled.

9.) SCTV --Most of the first two syndicated half-hour seasons are still M.I.A. (though some are featured as reruns in the 90-minute NBC episodes on disc), as well as the final "Cinemax" season. Music rights issues aplenty, and probably low sales, have sunk the show.

kbrooks190

Grip
Real Name
kbro190
I am not sure if this is abandoned....but where is Law & Order: Criminal Intent? The first three seasons have been released and then nothing. The original L&O and L&O: SVU keep having their seasons released.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I will echo "Dragnet" as #1 on the list because we NEED to have S2 on DVD for the "Christmas Story" alone. Not to mention the powerful and much unfairly maligned marijuana episode, and the one where Friday must appear before a review board for killing a fleeing burglar at a laundromat. I could live without S3 (the year where every episode was a community affairs pitch film) and to a lesser degree S4 if we just had S2 on DVD.

And having a chance to see now in this thread what Brian Ward said about "Ironside" last summer which does not jibe with the later excuses given for abandoning the show, *plus* the fact that there is an R4 release, elevates the failure to release S3 of that show to #2 on my list. After that would come "The Big Valley" and "McMillan And Wife".

Dean C

Second Unit
Real Name
Dean
Yes Great I have my Son of the Beach now finished.

Now make Silver Spoons keep coming, Where is Different Strokes,

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
Survivor getting abandoned after six releases still bugs me a lot--I mean, only having the first seasons of The Mole and The Apprentice and two seasons of Amazing Race sucks too, but you figure that if they can release six friggin' seasons, obviously they couldn't have been completely tanking. What's worse is that the last three releases (and presumably the ones that sold the most poorly) were later seasons that were issued instead of the early ones that fans made it very clear they preferred to have on DVD first. In fact, the last release was of perhaps the least popular season ever at that point. All of these series would fit perfectly on Amazon.com's burn-on-demand program (music and talent rights shouldn't be an issue) so the fact that they're choosing to have them collect dust is a slap in the face to the fans and the massive demand all over various websites.

I'll also add a vote for Pete and Pete season 3. It was announced--they even had cover art!--and was the final season of the show, but was pulled out of nowhere and there's been nothing on it since. To add insult to injury, I was told that the extras/commentary had already been recorded.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks