What's new

Most desired Criterion release (1 Viewer)

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I also would like to see a SE of A Matter of Life and Death.

As to Criterion laserdiscs still not released: I second the idea that Welles’ The Magnificent Ambersons should be released on DVD, with the supplemental material on the missing footage and Robert Carringer’s commentary.

Also, Criterion’s version of Welles’ Othello is superior to the current DVD. The original sound was better than the newer version which has the music re-recorded (which is LESS effective than the original version and is no more than a gimmick). The disc had a great commentary track (Bogdonavich and Myron Meisel) and some interesting extra features. Maybe they could include the complete Filming Othello documentary rather than the excerpt.

Also, since I mentioned Welles-Chimes At Midnight needs to be done. Bogdonavich could add another great commentary track for it.

The Criterion El Cid laserdisc should be done on DVD as well (by SOMEBODY!). Criterion had trailers, and some brief features on Mann, Bronston, Rozsa, and an interview with Heston. WTF is EL Cid?!

Hmmm. Napoleon. I’d second that. I still watch my Universal laserdisc version on occasion. I remember reading in the (out of print) Kevin Brownlow book on the film that the American version was “sped up” a tad to keep it under 4 hours. I expect it would be a little tough to offer the 2 soundtracks what with the sped up running times, and the additional footage.

One thing that would be cool in a new presentation would be the triptych finale. I still remember the excitement of having the 2 extra screens kick in when I saw the film with an orchestra (Carmine Coppola conducting) in 1982. On the current laserdisc version, the screen gets really small as they reduce the triptych to a letterbox finale. On a 16:9 display, the effect would be closer to the theatrical experience as your square frame would widen out to widescreen for the finale.

Danny Burk

Second Unit
Criterion can't license MAGNIFICENT AMBERSONS or any of the other Warner-owned titles because WB doesn't allow third-party licensing of their material (ditto for Paramount).

I'd buy a "new and improved" NAPOLEON in a heartbeat.

I'm curious regarding quality of the upcoming PANDORA'S BOX. Last week, I saw Kino's new 35mm print theatrically, which was advertised as "newly restored". I can't help but say that its quality was rather disappointing; it didn't really seem to be an improvement over other copies I've seen. It's possible that it may be more complete; I don't remember since I've not seen it all the way through in a long time. I can only assume that better preprint material hasn't survived; too bad, since lovely prints of so many German silents have been appearing recently.

As far as "most wanted" Criterion titles, my vote would go to increasing their selection of silents, which are so poorly represented in the present collection.

GlennWD

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Glenn DelRossi
Mine would definitely be Chimes at Midnight, I haven't seeing it in a long, long time. But I remember absolutely loving it when I did.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Before the Rain would be nice, too - been waiting for this to hit DVD for a long time.

CameronMcC

Second Unit
with Fox now having distribution for MGM...does that mean criterion could bring back some classics like Spinal Tap, Sid & nancy etc.?

Rod

Agent
How about some Max Ophuls? Madame de... and Lola Montes just to name two. Ophuls has been long neglected on DVD.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Still, and again, I'd like to nominate Dreamchild (1985)....a film that has never been released on DVD and which deserves special treatment.
Let me quote from an Amazon entry:
"This 1985 film from Britain offers up the only possible reason the extraordinary British writer Dennis Potter could be involved with a project also featuring the talents of Jim Henson's Muppets. The subject is the awkward relationship between Charles Dodgson (Ian Holm), better known to the world as Lewis Carroll, and Alice Liddell (played by Coral Browne as an adult), as it was in the 19th century when Liddell inspired Carroll to create Alice In Wonderland and Alice Through the Looking Glass. The full account of that bond is finally told by Alice in 1932, as she arrives in New York City to participate in the 100th anniversary of Dodgson's birth. Flustered by press and public attention, Alice releases her repressed memories from that time, and Henson's factory does a wonderful job creating bold realizations of the author's characters and settings. Both dark and light, Dreamchild is a mesmerizing spectacle with inner portraits of two quite dissimilar but equally vulnerable people. Holm is excellent as the stammering, often ridiculed Dodgson." --Tom Keogh

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

Well, the American release was simply shown at 24fps. I believe the European screenings were at 22fps. I'm not sure if Carl Davis recorded all of his score (since it has only been performed live, with the exception of some excerpts on a CD), but Coppola's was recorded cue-by-cue. It would be a matter of re-editing it to fit the long version. The inclusion of both scores shouldn't mean one is inferior to the other... very seldom do silents get a decent, let alone fantastic musical score. Carl Davis never disappoints with his work and Coppola's Napoleon score is breathtaking.

As for the triptych, it would be awesome if one could obtain a special add-on trio of discs so one could put three monitors together at home. :D I guess that's one thing that requires the real theater screening!

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor
They seem to be doing an awesome job choosing for themselves -- a better job than I would do, myself. Just keep 'em coming, Criterion, and I'll keep buyin' 'em!

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Definitely Steel Helmet by Sam Fuller - this was rumored for a fall release and then it sort of slipped off the map...

Lone Wolf

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Johnny B
My most wanted title from Criterion's previously available laserdisc editions would be...

David Fincher's THE GAME

Followed by...

Byron Haskin's ROBINSON CRUSOE ON MARS

Plus, I would definitely be keen for somebody to release these two and I think Criterion would absolutely be the right company for the job!

Alain Resnais' JE T'AIME JE T'AIME (I love you, I love you) (1968)

Philip Ridley's THE REFLECTING SKIN (1990)

Johnny B.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I'd love to see an official release of Peter Whiteheads films and promos in some sort of box set or 2-3 disc collection.

I'd also love to see an animated title.

Perhaps one of the two Fleischer feature-lengths or a collection of golden age shorts that other companies aren't willing to spend the money on (i.e. Terrytoons, UPA, Lantz, MGM, early B&w vintage shorts, etc) - even if it's just a compilation of material.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Unfortunately we won't see this film because Paramount in its "GREAT wisdom" has decided not to release this film. Plus as previously mentioned, they don't let other companies release their films on DVD. So we're SOOL!!!!!!!!!!!! :angry: :angry: :angry:

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Or a collection of campy 60's b flicks like a selection of the better beach and bike movies with great r'n'r soundtracks!

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales

Ah yes, that'd make for a great Criterion release (though I have the Japanese DVD). :emoji_thumbsup:

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
I can't pick just one, but, as far as films that Criterion might have a reasonable chance at actually being able to release, I'd most like to see:

THE LAST HOLIDAY (1950-British)
HOBSON'S CHOICE (1954-British)
THE SMALL BACK ROOM (1949-British)
THE TROUBLEMAKER (1964)
UNEARTHLY STRANGER (1963-British)
RIDER ON THE RAIN (1969-French)
ONE WONDERFUL SUNDAY (1947-Japanese)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Criterion is doing such an outstanding job releasing desirable independent and foreign films on DVD that it almost seems like ingratitude to suggest more...

But would love to see the following, which Criterion released on laser disc and which no studio has yet released to DVD:

FIRES ON THE PLAIN
49TH PARALLEL
IN WHICH WE SERVE
JOUR de FETE
HOBSON'S CHOICE

And some which are simply movies Criterion might typically release but which are still owned by someone else (I won't even bother listing those held by major studios):

CRIA! (CUERVOS)
CHANT OF JIMMIE BLACKSMITH
EL NORTE
JOUR SE LEVE
STEEL HELMET
GATE OF HELL
LE GRAND CHEMIN

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Dodesukaden
Dersu Uzula
Madadayo
The Game
12 Monkeys
Crash (Cronenberg's)
Something by Hayao Miyazaki
All non-anamorphic titles they still own the rights to remastered in 16:9
Bottle Rocket

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
THE GAME. More Sam Fuller (16x9 remasters of THE NAKED KISS and SHOCK CORRIDOR!). New 16x9 HIGH AND LOW (awful transfer). MIA Peter Greenaway titles, including DROWNING BY NUMBERS and the never-released-in-the-U.S. THE BABY OF MACON and THE TULSE LUPER SUITCASES.

And EL TOPO! Wasn't there talk about a year ago about them getting rights to that and THE HOLY MOUNTAIN?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks