What's new

Most Cost-Effective way to get TrueHD??? (1 Viewer)

Vin_G

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Vince
I am currently building a home theater and I am getting mostly new equipment, so this is getting expensive. I want to take advantage of the Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD sound so I am looking at an AVR that can decode this.

As I currently have a Denon 1804 receiver, would it be more cost effective to simply buy a Blu-Ray player with DTS-HD and TrueHD decoder built in for now and buy the expensive amplifier later? Will this work?

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
It will work (using the 5.1, analog inputs), assuming that you can find a player that will do the internal decoding and that meets your other requirements such as price (of course the player will need 5.1, analog outputs). But if you are planning on upgrading your AVR at a later date, you might consider just buying the player you want now that fits your current budget (and one that will pass all formats) and getting an AVR with internal decoders later.

Recognizing that you will need to wait for the new AVR for the new sound formats.

Vin_G

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Vince
Thanks for the response.

I ultimately want a new receiver with an internal decoder, such as an Onkyo 905 and a stand-alone blu-ray player. But it seems that Blu-Ray doesn't have its stuff together yet. Their prices are sky high and their "Profile 2.0" is the only format worth buying. They say that many Blu-Ray discs are going to be re-released to be compatible with Profile 2.0 so they have the same features that HD DVD had.

As I feel it is best to wait, but my home theater will be completed soon and I want to display a 1080p through my projector and have TrueHD and DTS-HD sound, should I maybe buy a super-cheap HD DVD player with internal decoding, hook it up via analogue to my Denon 1804 receiver for now? THen I can wait for prices to come down and Blu-Ray to get its act together?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eathree
Recent bookmarks