What's new

Most boring 70's "Classic"? (1 Viewer)

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
Just because I find Annie Hall boring, doesn't mean that I do so because it has a script requiring thinking, and I'm some dolt who only likes explosions. Sheesh.
George, you are absolutely one of my very favorite members here and far from being thought of as a DOLT. My support of Craig's comments were only meant to be directed at those supporting the boring '70's implication. In other words, not solely for your benefit.

I still disagree with your comments about Annie Hall, but that is alright, isn't it?

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
As another 70's film fan, there aren't too many "classic" films from that period that bore me. If we can move on to the 80's however, I can definitely name a few.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Just stepping in to support and strengthen the string Rain-Walter-Heinz-Mitty. Add me to it.

Cees

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I find it ironic that I agree with you almost completely on the movies you love and disagree with you almost completely on the movies you hate.
That's not a criticism by any means, I just find it rather amusing. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions.
It is interesting how tastes overlap and don't. Frankly, I've been doing some self-analysis of my taste in movies after watching the films on the AFI 100. I'm not quite sure why I like what I don't, but I'll probably expound on it soon. However, I am going on vacation (thank God) tomorrow, so things are hectic and I won't be posting much for a week or so.
But if I didn't post for a while, I didn't want anyone to think that our disagreement about Annie Hall had sent me packing or something. :)

Jim_F

Screenwriter
Let's see...
I can't vote for Saturday Night Fever, because I loathed disco and refused to see the film.
I can't vote for Star Wars. Although I thought it was incredibly overrated, the effects were fun. My date slumbered through half of it, though.
I can't vote for Rocky, since it doesn't qualify as boring. It was acutely painfully bad.
I won't vote for The Deer Hunter, since I only saw it on commercial TV. It didn't grab me in that form, but I'll give it another chance in a better format some day.
I rather liked Annie Hall, but another Woody Allen film will get my vote: Manhattan
Come to think of it, it's been a long time since I saw it, and that was probably on a very small screen in VHS. Maybe I should give that one another chance some time as well. We'll see.

Ashley Seymour

Supporting Actor
The Exorcist
For me the 50's were a decade of boring films, but not necessarily the classics. I could never think of Ben Hur as slow paced or boring.
Many of my favorite films are from the 70's, topped by The Godfather and The Godfather Part II , but my favorite decade is the 80's. Lots of quilty pleasures here, but not many deep and meaningful films.
The 90's turned out quite weak.
The 00's? Well, hope is fading fast.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
The Deer Hunter
- This is one of the best movies I've ever seen, but boy does that wedding sequence last forever.
"La dee dah"
"We're good friends."
"La dee dah"
"Let's dance."
"La dee dah"
"Let's take a break."
"La dee dah"
"It's a great wedding!!!"
"La dee dah"
"We're such great friends."
"La dee da"
"Let's dance some more!!!"
"La dee da"
"Let's take a break."
"La dee da"
"Did I mention the wedding was great?"
and it goes on like that for a good hour until there's a break where Robert De Niro runs throught the streets naked. Shudder.....

Kirsten

Stunt Coordinator
*shudder*
1974's stink-fest,The Great Gatsby. I just finished a 12 page paper comparing this boring piece of tripe to Fitzgerald's classic novel.
Of course, this is just my ever humble opinion. :b

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Ughh. The Great Gatsby was an awful movie. I just did not think of it as being highly rated, I mean I hope it's not highly rated.

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
When I saw the title to this thread I was really interested in finding one to add to the list, but then I started reading the earlier posts and noticed 'The French Connection'?!?"?"?!!! WTF?

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Without a doubt, it was Papillon for me. I couldn't sit through it. My wife LOVES it. I had to leave the room...
To each their own. Personally, I think some of you are nuts with the choices you're making. I'm like Rain; I'm not sure I should have looked! :rolleyes
But I'm sure you'll all make fun of my nomination... :D

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
Well, I graduated from college in the late 70s, so that makes me a pretty solid 70s old fart;) ...
Nashville - Critics gone ga ga over it, but never saw it, never an Altman fan, MASH was great, that's about it.
French Connection - Pretty fun flick. Hackman was his usual brilliance, the movie also gave us Roy Schnieder (later Jaws), but I was shocked when it won Best Picture and Hackman won Best Actor with it (it wasn't THAT good). May be I need to watch it again on DVD, totally thumbs down on FC II.
Annie Hall - Love it in the 70s, watch it again recently, not as good as I remember it, still a fine film. As somebdoy else already mentioned earlier, Manhattan is much better, liked it when it first came out and like it even more when I watched it on DVD recently.
CE III - Watched it in the 70s, again when the "extended" version was released, and again on DVD this year, pretty good film, but SS's masterpiece of that era was Jaws.
Star Wars - Saw the movie on openning night, this may be hard to beleive, but I did not know much about the movie other than it's a scifi flik. I remember I walked in the big Century theater with my friend and the place was so packed that there were no seats and ended up sitting on the floor. I have not seen that movie again since that night 20 some years ago. I don't really know if it measures up or age well, but if you were there on that openning night, there is NO doubt in your mind that it will FOREVER be a 70s film classic.
Cabarat - Pretty good, but even then, I thought it was long.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I'm going to join the phalanx of Rain-Walter-Heinz-Mitty, even though I thought The Exorcist was weak.
I rue the time I wasted reading this post.

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
>>high falutin' critics who say that the 70s (well, the late 60's, early 70s) were a golden age at the movies.

rhett

Supporting Actor
I read about The Deer Hunter, that Cimino screened the film to audiences and they all said the film was excellent but the wedding scene should be shortened. So he shortened the wedding scene to 10 minutes, as opposed to an hour, and when he screened it again with a different audience, they all thought the film was very weak. The wedding scene is really vital to contrast how friendships break and lives change for the worst after Vietnam. I loved the movie!
I also really liked Saturday Night Fever, especially for its nostalgic feel. No other movie captures the late 70's and the disco craze better, and the direction by Badham is stylish and well done. And nobody can knock the Bee Gee's, that is a classic score!
What I am kind of indifferent to is Bertolucci's Last Tango In Paris. I am a huge Brando fan, but his performance was here wasn't nearly as good as most of his others, he pretty much just sits there and mumbles, definitely not Oscar worthy. I understand the message about capitalist sexual repression, but the film is very uneven and slow moving that this theme just kind of loses its appeal. I love Bertolucci, but I just don't get what all the fuss is about over LTIP...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks