Most boring 70's "Classic"?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matthew_S, Dec 10, 2001.

1. Matthew_S

Matthew_S Second Unit

Before I get flamed, Let me say this. I'm in my late 20's, so I definitely fall into the "mtv, i want it now" generation. No argument there. Yet I was thinking the other night that I've been bored to tears watching many "70's-the-golden-age-of-autuer cinema" films. Nashville comes to mind right away. The French Connection is another. I know these are considered by many to be absolute classics. They were just plain boring to me. Anyone else agree? Have any others that bored you?

2. Tom Rhea

Tom Rhea Second Unit

Star Wars

Close Encounters of the Third Kind

3. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

Easily Annie Hall.

4. Rain

Rain Producer

I knew it. I shouldn't have even looked.
    Agreeing to disagree. With all of you. [​IMG]

5. Craig

Craig Second Unit

Unfortunately many of the type movies you guys are mentioning had the disadvantage of having actual screenplays which required the actors to string together whole sentences, thus slowing down the action. Thankfully this is becoming less and less common, so now we can just sit back and enjoy all the explosions without all that talking.

6. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

7. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Saturday Night Fever and Grease.

They're really overrated, IMO.

8. Heinz W

Heinz W Second Unit

Wow, I like every movie listed so far! [​IMG] And they're ALL very re-watchable! (IMHO, of course!) [​IMG]
    I consider Annie Hall, Close Encounters, and Star Wars the three best films of 1977! Well, whatcha expect from a 70's child waxing nostalgic? [​IMG]
    I think the titles listed so far are more dated than overrated. Sure a film like The French Connection, for example, seems mild and tame by today's standard, but was breakthrough cinema at the time of it's release, and still retains it's impact as a gritty and realistic portrayal of cops on the street.
    Sorry, I couldn'ty resist. I now leave with Rain and Walter.. [​IMG]

9. Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence Producer

Brian
    I think that most of the highly rated films of the 70's deserve all of the praise they get, However there are a few that just don't do a thing for me such as
    Cabaret- It might have something to do with the fact the I hate hate hate Liza.
    Outlaw Josie Wales- I think this is Eastwood's worst western.
    Days of Heaven- Beautiful to look at but I never cared for the film as a whole.
    And I know I am gonna get ripped to shreds for this one, but I never liked Amacord either.

10. ErikG

ErikG Cinematographer

The Exorcist...I'm so tired of seeing this snoozefest at the top of many "Top 10 Scariest Movies" lists. It wasn't the least bit scary, IMO.

11. george kaplan

Annie Hall isn't a horrible movie, but there are two things about it that bug the hell out of me.

One, it is a MAJOR step down for Woody Allen. The humor of his earlier films gets replaced by California bashing and it's the beginning of his attempt to become 'deep'. It was only 5 years earlier that he embraced California in Play It Again, Sam. OK, I'm from California, what can I say.

Although I don't give a rat's ass these days about the oscars, somehow it seemed important to me when I was much younger in 1977. To take what was to me at the time the greatest film ever made (I hadn't yet seen the Apartment), Star Wars and watch it loose to second-rate Allen just pushed me over the edge.

OK, a long time has passed since 1977, so maybe my view of Annie Hall is biased. But twice since then, (the most recent about 2 years ago), I've rewatched it to give it another chance, and I still feel it is overrated and boring.

Sorry, Rain, that's my opinion.

12. Jeff_A

Jeff_A Screenwriter

13. Tommy G

Tommy G Screenwriter

I'm with Rain, Walter and Heinz. I find it very infrequent that any of today's movies measure up to the classics of pre-1980. All you have to do is look at some of the Best Pictures recently versus in the past (even the 70's). I mean Shakespeare in Love vs. The Sting [​IMG] Please!

14. Matthew_S

Matthew_S Second Unit

15. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

Matthew, I agree with you on Nashville.

~T

16. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Gee, I loved Annie Hall. It was the first Allen film I saw in its entirety and on purpose, and it got me hooked. I cracked up when I saw that cartoon scene. And Diane Keaton was just marvelous.

I don't think Woody Allen is a genius or anything like that, I just think his films are generally a nice, pleasant distraction, and Annie Hall is one of his best.

I never saw the appeal of Saturday Night Fever and Grease. I mean, unless you're a 12 year old girl, what's so great about watching John Travolta dance in tight pants?

The 70s had my favorite movies of all time: Godfather, A Clockwork Orange, Star Wars, Woody Allen movies, Midnight Cowboy, Taxi Driver. Overall, and excellent decade for film.

17. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

18. Mitty

Mitty Supporting Actor

Walter, I saw it, I chose not to respond. People are entitled to their own opinions, no matter how wrong they are. [​IMG]
    Hey, I grew up in the 70s, so maybe I'm biased, but I agree with all of those snooty, high falutin' critics who say that the 70s (well, the late 60's, early 70s) were a golden age at the movies. I mean, there have have been what, 15 responses to this thread and only a handful of movies named. Any other decade and you'd have a laundry list.
    I wish we'd have another decade filled with such "just plain boring" movies, 'cause so far the 00's ain't lookin' so hot. [​IMG]

19. george kaplan

Oh boy.

20. Rain

Rain Producer

George,
    I find it ironic that I agree with you almost completely on the movies you love and disagree with you almost completely on the movies you hate.
    That's not a criticism by any means, I just find it rather amusing. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions.
    And I hope you do know that I do hold you in high regard around here, even though I can't fathom finding Annie Hall boring (or not liking Gone With the Wind). [​IMG]