Most Bang for the Buck

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tim_R_H, Feb 14, 2002.

1. Tim_R_H

Tim_R_H Stunt Coordinator

I have been contemplating on replacing my current receiver but I know that speakers can be as, if not more important in getting the best results for HT. I have a variety of speakers that make up my HT and I have heard you should try and use the same brand/performance speakers throughout. I am primarily interested in movies not music. I would like some imput based on the receiver and speakers below as to what part of my setup would benefit me most with a $1000 upgrade. I will be looking at spending another $1000 later in the year to upgrade what I don't upgrade now. One of my objectives is to add a rear center channel.

I have a 14x16 HT room. Due to room setup my rear speakers will have to be ceiling or upper rear wall mounted.

Receiver - Kenwood 1080VR Dolby Digital : Front 120w + 120w,

Center 120w, Surround 60w + 60w - all 1kHZ, 0.7% T.H.D

Front Speakers- Fisher Preference STV9045 Towers (1985) 130w

40Hz to 20kHZ

Center- JBL CL505 125w 90db

Sub- Kenwood SW-300

Surround- Infinity Minuette 80w 200HZ to 20kHZ 87db

also have but not currently in use:

JBL G300 80w 50HZ - 20 kHZ 89db

I am concerned that as old as my front speakers are they probably weren't designed with digital sound in mind. Is this a valid concern?

2. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    The speakers don't know the difference between analog and digital. In fact 99% of the speakers out there receive an analog signal. I would upgrade your main speakers with that $1k and use the 2nd $1k for a sub and receiver.

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Greg: Something you should keep in mind:
    "Music speakers are about Accuracy, HT Speakers are about Impact".
    Expensive speakers tend to be more accurate. The industry knows this and sets the prices accordingly.
    We have seen many cases where a budget set of tone-matched speakers create a very good HT experience. They use budget cabinents, drivers, connectors, etc., but still do a great job for movies.
    A very good system for $500 is the Kenwood HTB-504. It's a decent receiver, 5 tone matched speakers and a self-powered external sub. "Sterophile Guide to Home Theater" compared the speakers to a audiophile "budget" set of NHT speakers that retailed for over $1100, and the Kenwood speakers held their own.
    I set this system up for a friend a few weeks ago, and he really enjoys it.
    With this system, you can budget that extra $1500 for a HDTV (as that is actually more important to the movie experience than the sound).
    Another place to check for budget HT equipment suggestions is: www.cheaphometheater.com
    Good Luck.

4. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

if you're looking at a 2K (total) investment, and you're only worried about audio, then i'd say you'll be able to put together an excellent system.

like bob said, the 504 is a very well regarded "all-in-one" setup. i've also heard it and think it sounds very good.

if you don't go that route, consider giving a good chunk of change to a new set of speakers. timbre matching is important and i bet you'll be surprised how much better a new setup will sound...even with your current receiver. the energy take 5.2 system also received a speaker of the year award (i think?) and is highly regarded. i don't know the price, but i believe it's very affordable.

that should leave you about 1200 or so for your next upgrade. you can get yourself a really good receiver for about 600 bucks. now you've still got 600 bucks for flexibility - not a bad deal huh?

[edit] - oops...i just realized you're looking for 6.1 sound. you may need to bump up the receiver price for that...i'm not sure. maybe closer to 800???

5. Tim_R_H

Tim_R_H Stunt Coordinator

While it would certaintly give me a uniform speaker setup, I'm not sure the Kenwood HTB-504 would give me the amount of upgrade that I am ultimately wanting. It appears that this is a 5.1 channel receiver and I am realy wanting to upgrade to 6.1. Also other than adding DTS and PLII I'm not sure this recieiver and speaker system is any better than what I currently have.

I would love to get HDTV but my current TV a Hitachi 55" projection, is only about 5 years old, so I will probably wait another two years before making the switch. Hopefully HDTV will come down significantly in price by then and I will feel like I got my moneys worth out of my current TV.

The energy take 5.2 system definately looks like a possibility.

6. OliverT

OliverT Stunt Coordinator

>>>

very good system for $500 is the Kenwood HTB-504. It's a decent receiver, 5 tone matched speakers and a self-powered external sub

>>>

I have to agree with this. I purchased this system about 8 months ago and I've been very happy with it. Not going to help you if you want 6.1 but does anything really use that at this point?

OT