What's new

Moss Arrested... (1 Viewer)

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson
The Vikes' woes continue. I guess he still hasn't grown up. He probably won't see any jail time for it, but it certainly doesn't help matters any.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
One of my co-workers is a Vikings fan (and he gets lots of abuse here in Lions territory). We had a bet last year on whether Moss could make it through the season without getting arrested. It looks like we were just a season too late. :laugh:
Moss has an incredible amount of talent, but there is nothing between the ears. Besides this latest incident, he argues with teammates, whines when he doesn't get the ball, does not put out a full effort on the field, abuses non-teammates on a team bus, and acts like an ass on the field. If you put Jerry Rice's head on Moss's body, you would have the ultimate wide receiver.

Jim_F

Screenwriter
If you put Jerry Rice's head on Moss's body, you would have the ultimate wide receiver.
I thought Rice already was the ultimate wide receiver before Sapp attempted to rip his head off and collapsed his knee instead.

I'm not sure what to make of this case. I don't much like Mr. Moss, and my first thought was "Throw the book at him!".

However, this doesn't really sound like a really vicious crime, more like a stupid, petulant one. It sounds like the woman could have been injured worse (consider that she could have struck her head on the pavement) but that doesn't seem to be the intent.

On the other hand, a slap on the wrist is all wrong, especially with his history. This is going to be a widely publicized case, and to blow it off with an easy plea bargain broadcasts a very bad message about what is acceptable behavior toward law enforcement personnel (be they police officers or those who assist them)

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter

Jerry Rice in his prime was no slouch.

From the description provided, seems like he has some serious maturity problems. Hope his cellmate is a big fan....

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I wasn't disrespecting Rice, but physically Moss is more imposing than Rice (who, granted, was no slouch). Rice made himself into the greatest receiver in league history by an incredible work ethic, and shows great intelligence and effort on the field (which is why he still is a top receiver after the knee problems). Imagine what Moss could do with the same attitude.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
After Moss' sensational rookie year, people were congratulating the Vikings on how brilliant they were for taking the risk of drafting him.

It doesn't seem quite so brilliant now.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
How do you push someone "1/2 block" down the street with your car?

If that indeed is the case, and not an exagerration, he MUST be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law, or else, as others have said, it sends a terrible message to others.

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
You make a good point Scott, but sometimes the people who are physically gifted take their ability for granted, and don't try as hard (because they never had too !). A work ethic like Jerry Rice, Michael Jordan, Larry Bird, Cal Ripken, etc is tough to come by.

Wish I had it !

Ray Suarez

Stunt Coordinator
It pains me to say this as a Dallas Cowboys fan but...

Jerry Rice is the best receiver of all time and perhaps the best skill player ever seen in the NFL. He has over 20,000 receiving yards, 12 Pro Bowl invites, 14 regular season records and 10 Super Bowl records. (Alot is made of how Moss is the first to have 1000+ yards receiving in his first four years in the league, however, Rice was 73 yards short in his first year from having 1000+ yards receiving in his first twelve(!) years in the league)

IMO Randy Moss does not deserve to be mentioned in a discussion with Jerry Rice. Rice's talent, brains and a stong work ethic have enabled him to have a legendary career spanning 18 seasons.

Moss has talent in spades but no concept of TEAM. He has a looooonnnng way to go before he can be considered or compared with the great receivers in the NFL. And so far he has dug himself a big hole.

Ray

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Ray,

That was pretty much the point I was trying to make. On the one hand you have someone like Jerry Rice, who embodies everything positive about an athlete -- talent, hard working, team-oriented, intelligent. Then you have someone like Moss, who is incredibly gifted physically, and could achieve so much if he wasn't such a selfish moron.

Of course, Moss does not have a monopoly on selfish, moronic behavior amongst pro athletes.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
Moss is gonna get a slap on the wrist for this but in reality he's lucky to be alive. Using ones car as a weapon to persuade a traffic control officer is a good way to get shot.

Jeremy Stockwell

Supporting Actor

The question is:

How do you push someone "1/2 block" down the street with your car -- and then have your "representitives" call that "reportedly bumped."

There's a lot of middle ground between "pushing 1/2 block" and "reportedly bumped." Ya gotta love spin doctors!

JKS

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I agree that if the events went down as reported, he must be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. No athlete, no matter how big a superstar, should be above the law (O.J. anyone?).

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
"How do you push someone "1/2 block" down the street with your car?"

From what I have read in the Star Tibune - MPLS. The traffic officer not only egged him on but refused to back down when he did continue. From that point of view there were 2 BIG HEADS colliding which always creates a serious situation. If it would have been a crazed looney then she probably would have been ran over. From eye witness accounts it was a ridiculous event all around. Here is what I have heard so far:
Randy attempted to make a right turn in a lane which he could not. The traffic officer stepped in front of his car and refused to let him continue. Randy then began to edge slowly forward. The traffic officer then turned around and sat on the hood of his car and walked with her feet on the ground. They continued to do so in a slow manner until the traffic officer fell off the vehicle at which point police officers intervened shortly there after. Now I would say this is hardly an evil act by any means. Stupid, assanine(sp?), and ignorant yes but hardly a work of evil. If he would have simply stopped the car just like every other normal individual there would have been a traffic ticket written, period. The traffic officer could have simply let him pass and write down his license plate number and written him up for refusal to stop, various traffic violations, etc. But instead both Randy and the traffic officer chose to battle with their BIG HEADS and we have what we have, period. Quite the ridculous situation all around if you ask me.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Sounds like you're really, really hoping Randy still gets to play, Chet.

Such behavior towards an officer of the law is inexcusable, and much more than simply "stupid, asinine, and ignorant".

Edit:

Looks like he essentially got off. What a surprise.

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
"Sounds like you're really, really hoping Randy still gets to play, Chet."
Not really. I just have a problem with authority figures :)or people who think they have authority ;). Either way I think both individuals needed to act like a fool in order to create the situation that occurred. I know oh to well Randy's childish attitude on and off the field. I am a Vikings fan true and true!! So I am the first to say that Randy needs a serious attitude adjustment but I am also the first to say that traffic officer was an idiot. She could have been seriously hurt!!! and for what??? A traffic violation... I mean come on here, does no one else see how ridiculous that is??
Traffic officer school:
OK if you have an irate driver and he wants to disobey the rules try stopping their car with your body. If that doesn't work sit on their hood and take a ride.
Yeah, right:D :D :D

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
So you won't mind Moss being suspended for several games? Just want to make sure I know what you're saying. :)

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
In this case, Chet, she did indeed have the authority. It doesn't matter whether or not he thought she was wrong or even if she actually was wrong. The point is that she told him to go in another direction and Moss chose not to. It seems that he too has a problem with authority figures.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks