What's new

Mortal Kombat:Deadly Alliance (1 Viewer)

Chris Flynn

Second Unit
So I'm gonna bite the bullet and buy MK : DA tonight. :)
My friend will hopefully pick it up for me after work tonight.
I'll try and get a "review" up for it later tonight, but bear in mind that I usually try and find the "best" things out of games, and I try not to focus or dwell on the negative aspects of them.
Hopefully it will be good, and if it's not, I'll just exchange it for Resident Evil 0 tomorrow. :D

DwightK

Second Unit
Not a review but...

I bought this game today at lunch for the xobx. I have never played a MK game before (I know, strange) or a fighter really and haven't stopped playing for the last 4 to 5 hours.

I have been going through the training missions in konquest mode. Finished the first Ice dude 10 sessions and since then I CAN NOT get session 9/10 complete on either of the other 2 fighters I tried. It is the one where you have to do a complex combo move across fighting styles and for the life of me they don't work. Once in a blue moon, perhaps. It seems that when I press A, A, B,

Chris Flynn

Second Unit
Ok, first impressions after playing MK : DA for a little while.

Very well done. Graphics are very nice and detailed, especially the characters. Arenas are a bit open and sparse, but very nice as well. Sound is usual MK quality, screams and grunts sound good, and the popular "Get over here!" by Scorpion sounds great too.

The fighting system is actually very well put together. You can move in "3D" around characters, and to dodge projectiles, a la Soul Calibur and DOA 2/3. You also have a choice of three fighting styles per character, 2 hand to hand, and 1 weapon based. You can switch styles in the middle of a combo to chain moves together as well. Animation is smooth, not as fluid as DOA & SC, but not horrid either.

Nice little details include blood dripping down you character, blood pooling on the floor and trailing after your character when he/she/it steps in it, some reversals/counters, and some cool weapon effects.

I played Arcade mode for the most part, and although I whipped the first few characters with Scorpion, the difficulty jumped a bit when I reached the 4th character in the ladder (Kung Lao).

I haven't seen an fatalities as of yet, nor have I unlocked anything in the Krypt. That is where you purchase secrets and unlock stuff.

All in all I'm very impressed. I've always "liked", but never "loved" the MK series as a whole, but MK : DA is a pretty damn good fighting game, has some depth to it, and is overall a good, fun title (so far).

Charles M

Stunt Coordinator
I had no luck getting the GameCube version. I went o Kaybtoys, Gamestop, and Bestbuy. They only had the PS2, Xbox versions. I was reading on a site that stated the CameCube was going to be the last to ship. I think it's kind of lame. If your not going to make a came exclusive for a certain console and the game is finish, why not release all versions at the same time. Midway is going to make there money no matter what. When I went to Bestbuy the salesmen was checking to see why they didn't have the GC on display. The computer showed only 16 were being shipped on Wednesday(100+ for PS2 and 96 for Xbox). He told me because the GC had the smallest library. I thought it was complete bulls#@!t. Maybe in the future I will buy an Xbox, but ploys like this will never get me to buy a product from any company. Midway must think the other versions will sell more. This has been common with must GC releases that are available for all console. Companies should think about the consumers, rather their wallets.

Angel Pagan

Second Unit
Gamers.com has given MK-DA an 8 out of 10 rating on all 3 platforms.
The following comes from Gamespot: "To execute fatalities, press the stance change button at the end of a fight to change into your fatality stance. Then execute the following button combinations to perform a character's fatality. Button numbers refer to the four attack buttons on the face of the controller. See your manual to determine which attack button is which."
Bo Rai Cho: B, B, B, D, 4 - Johnny Cage: B, F, F, D, 2 - Kano: F, U, U, D, 1 - Kenshi: F, B, F, D, 3 - Kung Lao: D, U, B, 3 - Li Mei: F, F, D, F, 4 - Mavado: B, B, U, U, 1 - Quan Chi: B, B, F, B, 3 - Scorpion: B, B, D, B, 4 - Shang Tsung: U, D, U, D, 2 - Sonya: B, F, F, D, 2 - Sub-Zero: B, F, F, D, 3 - Cyrax: F, F, U, 2 - Drahmin: B, T, T, D, 3 - Frost: F, B, U, D, 1 - Hsu Hao: F, B, D, D, 2 - Jax: D, F, F, D, 2 - Kitana: D, U, F, F, 2 - Nitara: U, U, F, 1 - Raiden: B, F, F, F, 3 - Reptile: U, U, U, F, 3
The following koffins have hidden characters or other special items in them.
CN: Cyrax
KI: Kitana
UH: Scorpion's alternate outfit

Joe Reed

Stunt Coordinator
paul v, you can turn the blood off if you want, but that is as far as a parental switch goes, I loves this game, IMO way better than Tekken 4, or VF4, the krypt really adds to the replay value, I have already unlocked close to 100 of 600+ items in the krypt.

James_Kiang

Screenwriter
600+ items??? Tell me more please. I haven't played a MK game since 2, but when I hear that many extras I do get interested...

Chris Flynn

Second Unit
James,

The items include: characters, costumes, artwork, promo material, etc. Some of it is kind of cool, some of it is not. But the fact that you have a choice of 626 "Koffins" to open, it makes it fun when you get something cool.

DwightK

Second Unit
james, there are 676 Koffins in a Krypt and each has a price tag in Koins. Each of the Koffins is in essence a guaranteed winning lottery ticket. The prize may be a still photo, a movie clip (cooking with Skorpion:D for example), new outfit for a fighter, new fighters! etc. I spent like 1000 Koins on some crap item and then 200 on a new fighter. Great fun, gambling.

paul_v

Second Unit
Thanks Joe for the answer.

As for the Gamecube release I was told by an EB worker that the Gamecube version isnt being released until Dec 2. Why, I have no idea. Maybe it's because they didnt want to compete with Metroid Prime....

Jim__B

Stunt Coordinator
I picked it up today at Best Bbuy for the PS2(49.99 + I got a $10 gift card). Still have not had a chance to play I am still waiting to see if there are any major differences in the 3 versions. I have a GC and a PS2 and if it is superior on the GC I will return the PS2 and get the GC one.

BTW, when I went to Target they had it for the Gamecube, so I don't know what is up with EB.

Anyone with IGN insider know what score they gave it.

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
IGN gave it an 8.6. They had a couple of gripes such as the AI getting extremely tough right after an easy match, which I can attest to since I bought it yesterday. They also did not like that there is only 1 fatality per character, and the fatalities are not that good.

I still haven't made up my mind yet, its ok, but I think I'm going to exchange it for Ghost Recon since I'm setting up Xbox live tonight.

Jim__B

Stunt Coordinator
Did they rate all the versions the same? If those were the only gripes I think I can live with that. I mainly want I good fun fighting game.

Anyone know if only the Xbox supports progressive or all 3 do.

DwightK

Second Unit
Dunno about only one Fatality as people elsewhere have been reporting more thatcan be unlocked. I have unlocked a hint for Hell Unleashed whatever that is. Just have to get up the koins to go to where the hint directs me to go.

The really long ponytail princess is fun to play. More so than the frost lady. Sometime soon I will have to start Arcade and see what the game is really about but until then the konquest mode, krypt, and practice are fun as heck.

Charles M

Stunt Coordinator
I guess I shouldn't complain anymore. I picked up the CG version this afternoon at BesyBuy. Well, let get some gaming in so I can experience what others have been for a day earlier then me.

David_Giles

Stunt Coordinator
Ok i cant do any fatality of any kind...lol.I get into the fatality stance and the when i press B or the code for scorp he just kicks and all and then nothin happens??Anyone know what im doin wrong...this is the Xbox ver..thx.

Lynn Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
Hi David, the code for Scorp is back, back, down, back, B

It is REALLY sensitive to you hitting EXACTLY back and down, and not diagonal. It took me until today(got it yesterday) to get the fatality for him(and he's the ONLY guy I'm using right now - SO many moves to learn).

Hey, is it me, or do some of the longer combo's seem very difficult to pull off? I'm talking about practice mode, not even in a match. Still very fun though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks