What's new

Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance (1 Viewer)

Mike JM

Stunt Coordinator
What is everyone's opinion on this?

I was a big Mortal Kombat 2 and 3 fan. Never liked the first one much. I had some fun with 4.

5 is great in my opinion. The same MK feel but 100% more in-depth and fun!

I never understood the high praise the Tekken's and Virtua Fighters got. They never seemed too much fun. ...And when they talk about deep game play I think. Yeah, a million moves for every character, just smash on the buttons and your chances of winning or losing is 50/50. ....I guess that's it. People keep playing those games cause their friends keep playin with them. (no one gets pissed off for losing all the time)
I found Mortal Kombat 5 the most solid and fun 2 player fighter in years. Everything works. I get it, I feel it happening. I own it.

That's deep. :b

BertFalasco

Supporting Actor
Boy I wish I could say the same. I had high hopes, too high actually. There is a transcript of an irc chat with the team at mk5.org and what it revealed it hurt me bad..
After all the delays there evidently was not enough time to program in stage fatalities and the right hallway. These were planned and often hinted to in the game (stage fatals..) and the right hallway is clearly there when you go to arcade/versus.. Stupid time.. This is still a great game, but what could have been after the delays pisses me off.

-Bert

Mike JM

Stunt Coordinator
Granted,
I was also disappointed with just one fatality and no stage fatality...but these are just gimmicks. They are fun, but when all is said and done and you've seen them all, and had that thrill, what's left? GamePlay.
And in this case, Deadly Alliance is strategic and fun.

Kami

Screenwriter
Great game, having fun unlocking stuff in the Krypt as well. Fatalities are mediocre but still fun.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I've only had it since Wednesday, so I'm still learning it. So far, it's really bringing back all my great memories of MK2. My favorite character back then was Kitana, and she's pretty good here, too. I have to say, I'm a little disappointed she doesn't have a "fan slice" special move like in MK2. Also, I wish the fan lift was still at a roughly 45º angle instead of vertical. I guess they had to make that change because of the move to 3D. The ability to use the fans as a main weapon almost makes up for these deficiencies, however.
Other than that, I'm actually relieved to hear they wanted to do stage fatalities. I thought maybe they had decided they didn't like them. Since they said another MK is in the works, I'm sure we'll get them next time. In addition, I hope they bring back Friendships, Babalities, and additional regular fatalities for each character. If they do another Krypt in the future, I hope you'll be able to buy a fatalities move list, though. These could be added as a fourth menu to the moves list. As it is, I've been leaving my browser open to GameFaqs while I play. ;)
A few other things: I wish Shang Tsung could still morph, that Raiden had his torpedo move, and that Baraka and Mileena were still around. Also, I wish the original games would be made available again in some format. I played MK1 through 3, and missed Ultimate, 4 and any other MK games. I guess that actually says a lot about Deadly Alliance: I hadn't thought much about MK since the 3rd game came out, and now I'm right back in that world.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Got it last week and loving it. The ONLY disappointment I've had so far is that it doesnt seem that Moloch can be unlocked as a playable character...

Sam

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, a million moves for every character, just smash on the buttons and your chances of winning or losing is 50/50. ....I guess that's it.
You never played a truly experienced Virtua Fighter player...Mash the buttons till your fingers bleed and you wont win.
PS: MK: DA is a blast to play. I rather enjoy Scorpions finisher. I never get tired of seeing him tug on the line:).
My only major complaint is the typical MK AI. Especially with the boss characters where you can can resort to doing the same two moves and continually win. Even on the hardest difficulty I found this to still be a problem. Thankfully its not enough to ruin the enjoyment of the game. Can't wait to see what they cook up for the next entry in the series (More fatalities for god sakes!)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks