Morrowind

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Kyle M. Krueger, Oct 27, 2002.

1. Kyle M. Krueger

Hey all,

Does anyone know if they are planning on fixing the error on the XBox game. I know its all around and everyone is experiencing this problem.. too bad best game out there and I cant play it without the error popping up every 5 mins.

anyway sorry to rant....

Also does anyone know if Morrowind Tribunal will be planned for release on the Xbox.. If not it might be time for a new computer.

Thanks for the info..

Kyle

2. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

What's the error? I guess I've been under a rock lately as I haven't heard about it. I haven't had time to play Morrowind a ton, but I don't recall any errors.

The new expansion is PC only atleast at this point.

3. Kyle M. Krueger

well the error is happens when you have a save file size of about 150 and up..

Basically what happens is that while the game being played a dirty or damaged disc error keeps popping up. So as you get farther and farther into the game it keeps popping up faster and faster. I cant play the game for 10 mins before it pops up now.

4. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

Yeah, that pretty much killed my taste for MW, which was a damn shame considering all the time I had invested in my character. I hadn't heard that any fixes for it were forthcoming, but of course I'd be all over one if it should appear.

5. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

I know when it came out it was mentioned it contained the "hooks" necessary to allow it to be updated so maybe a fix will come out on an OXM disc or through XBL download.

6. JamesH

JamesH Supporting Actor

I feel pretty cheated by the way they've handled Morrowind, and I probably won't be buying any more of their products.

It's absolutely pathetic to release a game that becomes more unplayable the more you play it. The Xbox version would be even easier to patch than the PS2 version since it's a static setup, but they don't seem concerned with the Xbox owners who paid $50 for their product.

Not to mention no expansions or mod utilities.....Bethseda just churned out a half assed and incomplete port to cash in. They didn't even bother optimizing it, there's no way that the Xbox isn't capable of a better framerate and draw distance.

7. Romier S

Romier S Producer

8. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

9. Romier S

Romier S Producer

10. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

You said that Bethesda made it VERY clear. I'm saying they didn't. An interview on a website sin't what I call clear. They kept mum about it in the game faqs on their site which would have been the way to really make it known. There were plenty of people asking in their forums prior to the games release that got no answer. I did, as I said, eventually find the answer, but they didn't put it right out there. A lot of people were thinking it would be able to have updates after seeing that DOA3 was "upgradable". I don't really care that much one way or another, like I said I play both versions without any plugins. I too would probably rebuy it if they did what you mention, especially if there was some form of upgrade rebate for original buyers.

11. JamesH

JamesH Supporting Actor

I disagree here, look at some of the other games on the Xbox, then look at Morrowind. Considering the low-mid range poly counts of the environments and characters, combined with the average texture quality, Morrowind should be screaming along on the Xbox. Comparing it to the PC version really doesn't fly, it's a lot easier to get good performance out of a fixed platform running at a 640x480 resolution. I can live with the framerate since it's sometimes smooth, but the draw distance ought to be 2-3 times as far. I'm no programmer, but it looks like Morrowind doesn't very much LOD management. It would have been nice to have SOMETHING other than fog to fill out the backgrounds, even if it didn't look all that hot.
    The last sentence in your post indicates that maybe your expectations aren't as high as they should be. Suggesting that bug fixes be among the things Bestheda should add in a sequel of sorts is absolutely ludicrous. Was $50 not enough money to get a stable game in the first place? They should have already released a patch for the Xbox version, which they did do for the PC. However, and I'm guessing it's because the Xbox version isn't as big of a seller, it seems like they aren't really concerned with supporting it at all.

12. JamesH

JamesH Supporting Actor

BTW, how did you get your save file so large? I've got about half of the world covered and mine's at roughly 200.

13. Romier S

Romier S Producer

14. JamesH

JamesH Supporting Actor

I never speculated as to your expectations, you posted the relevant one right here for all to see. The only expectation I refer to is that a game should be reasonably stable. It appears you would disagree with this since you listed bug fixes among the things to be repackaged and sold with an improved Morrowind. What do you think the reaction would be if EA said "Hey, here's a Battlefield 1942 patch that fixes an assortment of errors, that will be $10 please"?

15. Romier S

Romier S Producer

That scenario doesn't work because Bethesda has not yet offered a patch for Morrowind, much less offered a price for it. You need to take into account that *sigh* once again Microsoft does not allow gameplay fixing patches to be saved on the HD, This is straight from the mouth of BethSoft.
    The only viable solution I can see for the issue is the repackaging that I proposed along with somekind of rebate program for those who already purchased the game.
    As for how the reaction to the above scenario would be? People would spout the same useless insults that were spouted in this thread and it would get them exactly nowhere. After that they would go and pay the 10 dollars[​IMG] (Come on you know they would.)
    At this point though I'm done with this thread. I've said my due and I don't see a point in arguing any longer about it. I hope that you do contact BethSoft James and that you do get a solution worked out with them. You never know what could come of it...

16. Ryan Peddle

Ryan Peddle Second Unit

I'll bring this thread back to the top since I have just picked up the game and am on level 9 and had the game freeze (earsplitting speaker noise) twice on me. I have not experienced any of the other problems. I save regularly and use to save names, rotating them.

One question I have is, does the frequency of the severity of the freezes have anything to do with other game information (Halo, PGR, 007) for example. I am not a big game player, the only two games I have spent any time with on my Xbox is Halo and now Morrowind. So could it be possible that Morrowind is having problems due to other game info, something that many of you could have a lot of on your hard drives.

The only thing that takes up a lot of space on my XB HD is music. I have some 200 songs saved on there and use it as a jukebox.

I'd also like to state a couple of points here about developer b!tching.

As I said above I'm not much of a game player, and that is because I don't really care for a lot of the games out simply because they aren't big enough or real enough for me. Morrwind is HUGE (to me). It open endedness is exactly what I have been looking for in a game. Now I do agree that the game developers must have known about these problems during testing and should have solved them, but at the same time, the larger a game gets, the more inticate and hidden a problem can be. I program robots as a student and have written some pretty huge programs for them and they are nothing compared to developing a game like this. so my sympathy is there and I completely commend Bethseda for this game. It is the first game I can say that truly takes a step towards reality. So glitches are something that we may just have to bite with a game of this magnitude.

17. Romier S

Romier S Producer

Ryan,

Here is a message posted by the developers as to what may cause the DDE errors and freezes and some work arounds to the issue:

18. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

Thanks for posting that, Romier. I hate leaving games unfinished and I hated walking away from a character that I spent so much time building up, but I just couldn't take the DDE's anymore. Sounds like Bethesda has a viable workaround there, and I'm looking forward to finally finishing this game.

19. Derrik Draven

Derrik Draven Supporting Actor

Chris
    It's a long game.
    I'm at level 56 and I still haven't finished it. [​IMG]
    My fingers are crossed that the rumor mole, in OXM, is correct and that BethSoft is going to do a future release of this game with Bloodmoon, and the other expansion, (can't remember the name right now), included.
    I'll pick it up and it will give me some more incentive to finish this epic!

20. Martin Rendall

Martin Rendall Screenwriter

Just to chime in. I've got a level 78 character, and I see some crashes. I find that for the most part they occur when going to the "world map" after having flown a medium to great distance. In fact, flying seems to be the largest cause of crashes in my experience. I've crashed picking up gold of a table once, but the game generated an emergency save file on the way down. Kinda neat. The other thing which seems to help is to sleep for 3 or 4 days before saving.

I found the game incredible. Sadly, after having done many of the quests, the long load times mixed with the crashes have probably permanently put me off the game.

Good luck,
    Martin.