Morrowind for Xbox

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DavidAM, Dec 10, 2001.

1. DavidAM

DavidAM Second Unit

Anyone seen this game coming out? I was looking at the box at the mall this weekend and for some reason I really liked what I saw. Anyone have info on this game? When is it being released? Is it supposed to be a good RPG? Anyone know?

2. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

February, I believe...
    It's part of Bethesda Softworks' "Elder Scrolls" series that is very popular and highly regarded on the PC.
    Check out http://www.elderscrolls.com
    Looks good to me. [​IMG]

3. Romier S

Romier S Producer

David if you get the chance try to pick up Daggerfall (PC). One of the most open ended RPG's ever!

When the game was first released it suffered from numerous bugs but considering its age (an numerous patches) it should run beautifully now. I urge you to pick it up. It should give you an idea of what to expect with Morrowind.

I personally will be picking up the PC version of the game as the collectors edition announced includes a CD soundtrack by Jeremy Soule (one of my favorite composers) which I just cant pass up. I am looking forward to seeing what they do for the X-box version and will definitely check it out when it is released.

4. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Cinematographer

This is probably my most anticipated game for the near future since the open-ended nature of it appeals to me greatly. I'm probably going to get the Xbox version over the PC if only because after recently getting a nice new PC I'm already getting reminded of the hassles of installations, games crashing in the middle of a session, and other annoying bugs. As long as a console version can be made with a comparable presentation to the PC version, I'll just go ahead and get the console version from now on, and the Xbox Morrowind is allegedly going to be a tad nicer looking than the PC version [​IMG]

5. Wolf Jenkins

Wolf Jenkins Stunt Coordinator

for the Xbox version, is it going to be a direct port of the PC version? I ask becuase it seems the PS2 version of Baldur's gate is more of an action RPG than the PC version.

6. Romier S

Romier S Producer

7. Andy Sheets

8. Romier S

Romier S Producer

Andy,
    That is always to be expected. The PS2 version of Deus Ex (which I am looking forward too as the PC version ran terribly via DIrectX on most PC's, and they even included mouse and keyboard support!!) has had a complete make over HUD wise to take advantage of the Dual Shock 2 and more than likely the lower resolution.
    I personally hope Morrowind is a huge hit on the X-box. The PC crowd will eat it up and I know it will sell well on that platform but console crowds are quite different. Morrowind will bring the open ended gameplay and IMHO deeper Role Playing mechanics of PC RPG's to a console crowd that may not be used to that style of play. I hope it succeeds in doing so. PC RPG's are not for everyone but I think if people give them a chance they will find some very deep and enthralling games (Not to mention time consuming[​IMG]).

9. Andy Sheets

10. Derrik Draven

Derrik Draven Supporting Actor

Chris
    I hope that Morrowind is left as an open ended game for the XBox.
    When developers "dumb down" games to "please" the console crowd, it drives me crazy. What about those of us that just got plain old sick and tired of patches, bugs, videocard, soundcard problems, and switched to consoles now that they're capable of awesome graphics, like PC's?
    Hopefully, the Xbox doesn't suffer as much from simplification for consoles, like others have in the past.
    Giants is a good example of this. It's due out on the PS2 real soon. Just read that the developers dropped ALL of the resource management in favor of more action, for the console crowd. UUUUUUUGH!!!!! [​IMG]
    And to think, I was actually going to buy it until I heard that tidbit. [​IMG]

11. Romier S

Romier S Producer

Derrick and Andy,
    I do agree with you about the "dumbing" down of PC games on consoles. That is one reason I am very much looking forward to Deus Ex on the PS2. Spector has been very vehement about doing the PC game justice and not dumbing the game down at all! I was looking into purchasing it before but as soon as they announced there would be keyboard and mouse support it became an instant purchase.
    I adored the game on the PC but I just could not deal with how horrible it ran in DirectX. (whats funny is if you see the game running on a Voodoo card via Glide its like a totally different engine...SMOOTH AS BUTTER!). Its almost unforgiveable as the Unreal Engine (what the game is built on) has been heavily modified and Unreal Tournament runs like a dream on my system (I average 75 FPS at max rez). The PS2 version should maintain a nice 30fps throughout and that is enought to satisfy me.
    I'm also glad you mentioned Giants. This is a wonderful, underappreciated game that I constantly play on my PC. I was looking forward to the PS2 version until they announced the changes. Removing the resource gathering is a big mistake. They also removed allot of the violence in the game which IMO is a part of the dark humor. Kabuto can no longer stab his food onto his spike for later use like the PC game. All blood has been changed to green also (not that big a deal as it was also changed to green in the PC release with a patch to change it back to red). For most games this "censoring" wouldn't bother me but these things are a large part of the humor and charm of the game. The resource "dumbing" down is by far the greatest offender and automatically knocked the game off my to-buy list.
    Also a little off-topic but I'll mention it....
    I can understand peoples dislike for the "hassle" of getting computer games running. I dont particularly agree with it but I uderstand it. I have had almost 100 games installed on my system and I have only had a major issue with 1 game which I was able to resolve with a patch (conflicting DVD software). Deus Ex I dont consider an issue as it is mainly a problem with the engine but for the most part if you take care of your system (Defrag often, clear cache, clean registry, scandisk often) and keep your sound and video card drivers updated you shouldn't have much of an issue. I am sympathetic though..PC gaming is most definitely not for everyone.
    Anyway...I didnt mean to derail the conversation...so back too topic...[​IMG]
    Its hard not too look forward to this[​IMG]
    http://gamespot.com/gamespot/filters...241-26,00.html