Morph the Cat

Discussion in 'Music' started by ChrisCAB, Mar 16, 2006.

1. ChrisCAB

ChrisCAB Stunt Coordinator

Listened to this one last night - it's great.

Heading to the concert on Saturday.

Anyone seen the tour? How was it?

2. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

Yeah, my CD+DVD came in yesterday, too. Awesome sound.

I have Tuesday tix, myself.

3. questrider

questrider Second Unit
    Supporter

Brian
    Great record. Sounds great (as usual from Fagen) too!

When this was first announced and I saw the CD+DVD option, I assumed in this day and age it would be a DualDisc and we had finally lost the advanced resolution DVD-As to a dwindling marketplace. Then when I noticed it was two discs, a CD and a DVD, I still assumed the DVD would be just DD and DTS 5.1. I was shocked at how it was packaged:

CD=
    Stereo PCM

[​IMG]

CD+DVD=
    Stereo PCM [CD]
    Dolby Digital & DTS 96/24 5.1 Surround Sound [DVD-V]
    Advanced Resolution Surround Sound (96kHz/24-bit) [DVD-A]
    Advanced Resolution Stereo (96kHz/24-bit) [DVD-A]

[​IMG]

So instead of confusing the consumer with CDs, DVD-Vs, DVD-As, DualDiscs, etc., they just put this out as either just a CD, or you can buy the CD+DVD "5.1 Surround Sound Music" version (as it is titled on the front of the jewel case booklet) and it's a CD+DVD-A.

The DVD-A that comes with it is no different than any other Steely Dan/Donald Fagen DVD-A, except I get the CD for the car (or to rip to my iPod) taboot! The DVD-A that is in the package is like any other DVD-A I have for that matter. I am still in shock! And the DTS 5.1 is in the 96/24-encoded format, which sounds just as good as the Advanced Resolution Surround Sound to my feeble human ears!

It seems so simple, why can't everyone just do it this way?

4. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    Crap, crap, crap. I never heard about the CD+DVD version and bought the CD-only last week. [​IMG]

Where are you guys getting this?? CD Universe lists a "Special Edition" but it doesn't say anything about a DVD-A version.

5. Jeffrey R

Jeffrey R Stunt Coordinator

That's it--the "Special Edition" is the CD + DVD-A. I bought my copy at Tower Records B&M for $14.99, which was their online price until today.

6. ChrisCAB

ChrisCAB Stunt Coordinator

The concert was very good. He played 4 from the Nightfly, only one from Kamakiriad and 3 from the new album. He also played a few from Aja, one from Gaucho and FM. Unfortunately, he ended with a short cover of a song I didn't know and didn't much like. I was hoping for Pretzel Logic. Oh well.

7. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    Thanks, Jeffrey. I'll order my copy today.

Just checked Fagen's site. Pretty short tour, and not coming anywhere near Houston. Oh well... [​IMG]

8. Jan H

Jan H Cinematographer

This is a great record. Sound quality is superb (as usual), but to me, the songs here far outstrip the last two Dan albums in that it recaptures the jazziness of Aja and Gaucho, while at the same time echoing the rock-blues styles of the mid '70's. The extended solos, expertly done (again, as usual), will remind you of vintage Steely Dan. Buy immediately, but I know that if you're reading this, you probably already have.

9. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

I only got 2 tunes from the new album the other night; Mary Shut the Garden Door and Brite Nitegown. Only Snowbound from Kamikiriad. The rest was from Nightfly, Steely Dan's library and a cover. I was a little bit disappointed; I like the new tunes. I expected at least an H-gang and maybe the title track; but no. 7th row directly in front of Fagen was nice.

10. Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm Supporting Actor

Your posting time was not wasted, my friend. I had not purchased it yet, but will now immediately do so.