Morons, morons, morons (ebay related)

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Jon_Are, Sep 9, 2003.

1. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

My forehead is sore from banging it against my desk.

I just concluded four ebay auctions. Within each listing, I specified (twice, and in caps): SHIPPING TO U.S. ONLY. I also noted (twice, again in caps): PAYPAL ONLY, PLEASE.

Of the four auctions, one winner resides in France, another in the United Kingdom, and a third insists on sending me a personal check (the fourth, in some weird abberation, actually resides in the U.S. and paid by Paypal).

The personal check lady emailed me, saying, "Sorry, but I don't use my credit card over the internet. What do you suggest we do about this?"

I'm trying SOOOOO hard to not cut off my nose to spite my face (in other words, suck up to them in order to protect my absolutely perfect ebay rating).

I gave in to the two Europeans and agreed to ship the items across the pond.

The personal check lady, though, really got under my skin. I ended up asking her to send me a money order, but I also mentioned that Paypal was referred to a total of SIX times in the listing; I asked for what I could have done differently that would have avoided her misunderstanding.

I may be getting my first negative/neutral (I have 292 positives).

ARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

Jon

2. Adam Bluhm

Adam Bluhm Supporting Actor

Sounds like a classic case of stupid people. I hate stupid people.

3. Tim Morton

Tim Morton Stunt Coordinator

It's getting so bad that i don't bother selling on ebay any longer for just the reasons you are banging your head over. When i buy something I pay for it via payal as soon as the auction closes and I email my address to the seller. I try and make it as seamless as possible for both of us...i mean if I wanted any hasssles i would actually go into to a store and deal with the idiots who claim to know what they are doing behind a counter. nothing makes you go back to shopping online faster than a trip to a mall, now if I could just get half naked high school girls to walk around my house while i was shopping online it would be perfect.

4. David Susilo

David Susilo Screenwriter

the best line I've experience so far:

posted "SHIP TO US AND CANADA ONLY" in bold, separate line, and larger font.

question: "do you ship to UK?"

talk about daft!

5. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

While I sympathize with your issues, I have never understood sellers who want to limit HOW they take your money. Sellers who are overly selective about payment methods obviously don't really want my money. Especially if you insist on using a service as notoriously poor as the criminals at Paypal.

-V

6. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    Never used ebay, precisely because I'm not in the US. In trading stuff here (care of some other local forum I'm also on), I've noticed that most meet in person, but then again this is a very small country... [​IMG]

The one time I used Paypal was to buy a CD someone I knew had put together for fellow supporters of a particular football club in England. Otherwise, I still wouldn't have a Paypal account. Having made that one purchase, now what do I do with the account? [​IMG]

7. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Well today I received a note from a supposed ebayer to the effect of:

Dear sir/madam,

First you quit the deal with me for no reason and now you want to buy the same item from someone else .
    I think you did't read the ebay's instructions.
    Stop acting as you would buy the product and let the people to bid normally.
    If you don't change your attitude I'll give you a bad rating and I'll also report you to ebay.
    Please inform me a.s.a.p. about that before I report you.

To start with, I've never bought anything from this person, secondly, they haven't been selling anything. Third, and probably most laughable, is that you can't leave feedback anymore unless you are one of two participants in a completed auction - so if I haven't bid on his stuff, he can't leave feedback.

Into the trash.

8. David Baranyi

David Baranyi Stunt Coordinator

Vince, I used PayPal for over a year and never had problems with the service. What is wrong with it?

9. John Thomas

John Thomas Cinematographer

Jeff Ulmer-

That's supposedly frowned upon by the folks at Ebay. They state that they take a stand against this "feedback extortion". Check out this link.

I've got almost 200 transactions and only 1 ended up with me getting a negative feedback. Of course, this guy was unreasonable; I even wrote to others who had done business with him and they told me that he was impatient and hard to deal with.

I'm just about done with Ebay though. It's too much of a headache and Ebay does little to nothing to help out.

10. Scott L

Scott L Producer

I'm gonna play Devil's advocate here and say you knew about the Ebay horror/stupid people stories.. you gotta know what you're getting yourself into sometimes. I try to avoid Ebay whenever I can and sell my electronics over HTF, Anandtech, Arstechnica, or videogame forums. Something to think about for all you exhausted sellers.

11. Dean Cooper

Dean Cooper Supporting Actor

While I respect the wishes of sellers, I miss out on a lot of stuff I "would have" bought if they would only ship up to Canada...WTF is so hard about shipping up here? Really, ALL of the fricken hassle is with us trying to get our stuff through the criminals in customs slapping "snooping...err I mean handling fees" on our stuff. I find that a LOT of the times people are just too fricken lazy to click that Canada dot but have no problems shipping up here so I find myself asking when its not in bold print that the seller doesn't want a Canuks money. Still can't figure out why the hell not though, you guys too good for us or something?

[​IMG]

12. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

John, I can understand the paypal thing for concenience, but why only ship to the US? I'm in the same position as Dean-I'll search for something and get one or two items that'll ship to Canada, but sometimes 20 or 30 that will be listed as US only. I also don't buy the shipping costs that some sellers try to stick you with. I really think that ebay should change their policy that all shipping costs have to be provided up front (insurance etc notwithstanding). Why is it that you can ship a DVD in the states for $3, but it becomes $8 when it goes to Canada? I know for a fact that it doesn't cost that much more, so what's the big deal?

As for paypal, I really haven't had much of a problem using them to buy, but to sell is ridiculous, especially if you don't live in the States. Bad exchange rates notwithstanding, they charge a bunch of extra fees for Canadian members.

13. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

14. Travis Olson

Travis Olson Supporting Actor

Travis Olson
    When I sell something (very rarely), I will only ship to the US and only accept money orders or Pay-Pal. The reasons are simple. I don't accept personal checks because I don't want the suckers to bounce, lord knows what kind of scammers are out there. And the reason I don't ship outside the US anymore is due to a bad first time experince with it. I also won't buy anything from outside the US even if it has a great price, got burned that way too. If someone wins my auction and they don't follow the rules, they don't get the item, simple as that.

15. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

Vince - I've used Paypal for more than two years and hundreds of transactions and have never had a problem. I accept the fees they charge as a trade-off for the convenience. To each his own.

As for not shipping to Canada, my reasons are similar: convenience. For a U.S.-bound package, I can slap the postage on and drop it in the drive-through mailbox in the morning on my way to work. For a foreign shipment, I'd have to go into the post office (when its open, of course) and stand in a long line. When shipping the U.K. package, there were 12 people in line ahead of me and ONE window open.

Bottom line: If you bid on my auction, you are agreeing to the clearly stated terms.

Jon

16. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

John said:

17. David Susilo

well, it's not only laziness. I'm selling a studio hard-disk recorder. The unit is about US$400, shipping to US and Canada is US$30 including insurance. A UK would-be bidder asked me about shipping to UK and out of curiosity I checked the shipping fee. It's US$120.

Does it make sense to spend $120 in shipping for a $400 unit? of course not. After giving him the shipping quote, instead of thanking me for my time, he started cursing how I'm trying to gyp him in shipping.

Do you still want to ship the item outside of US and Canada after that experience?

18. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

19. David Susilo

Yep, sending used DVD from Ontario to Newfoundland is double (sometimes triple) the cost of shipping the exact same item to anywhere in the USA.

20. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer