What's new

More X-Boxes Sold Than GameCubes? Oh Really... (1 Viewer)

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor
I could see a company selling a lot of copies of "Armchair Videogame Tycoon", judging the number of responses to threads concerning who is #1,2,3, who sold the most consoles, games, who is making the most profit...

Ricky Hustle

Supporting Actor
The fact of the matter is that the xbox is two years old, and has already reached the same numbers as Nintendo. A downward trend is undeniable. Who cares if they have sold the same number of consoles as Microsoft? It is bad news for Nintendo that they have not even reached their projected numbers.

Morgan, I need to question why you feel the need to create this thread, considering the fact that you own a Cube and not an Xbox. Don't feel threatened by the Xbox. Nintendo isn't going anywhere, yet. :) I own a gamecube, it is a dedicated Ikaruga machine, but still gathers dust. My Xbox and PS2 get 99% of my gaming attention. I have said in other threads that I would like to see Nintendo succeed.

I do not think being even with Microsoft is succeeding, no matter which company is ahead in console sales at the moment.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I started this thread because a lot of people have been using the X-Boxes sales to show that MS was in a solid #2 position, when they clearly aren't. Up until this information was announced, it was believe that MS had sold 13.5 million X-Boxes.

And while MS isn't broke, they are in a lot more debt and have been losing a lot more money than Nintendo has.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
You can't compare the 2 companies. For MS their games division is a small (relatively) percentage of their business, for Nintendo it's the whole ball of wax

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
I started this thread because a lot of people have been using the X-Boxes sales to show that MS was in a solid #2 position, when they clearly aren't. Up until this information was announced, it was believe that MS had sold 13.5 million X-Boxes.

Well, thank you so much for saving us. From what, I don't know.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
And while MS isn't broke, they are in a lot more debt
There is a big difference between losing money & being in debt.

-Dave

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike Brogan

Second Unit
I started this thread because a lot of people have been using the X-Boxes sales to show that MS was in a solid #2 position
So what alternative do you suggest they use to show that the XBOX is in a solid #2 position? Just kidding...

But really, all these threads you speak of; where? If you mean the HTF, how about a current link? I'd be interested to read them, though I'm not sure why.

Allen_Appel

Second Unit
There have been a few "Nintendo is doomed" flavored threads lately. Here's one about Acclaim dropping support for GameCube. Morgan the Nintendo Fanboy vs. Most Everyone Else is an old battle, and his motivations are usually called into question (though the opposite isn't true for those who post anti-Nintendo threads). Morgan, you have a job now, just buy a damn Xbox so you can tell everyone that Xbox games don't interest you with some authority.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
The worst thing that could happen is Nintendo stops making consoles.
Why? It's just hardware, games are far more important.

It doesn't bother me that Sega dropped hardware, and it wouldn't bother me if Nintendo did as well. As long as they both keep making games...

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
though the opposite isn't true for those who post anti-Nintendo threads
Well, I own a Gamecube (and NES/SNES/GB/GBC/GBA/N64/VB), so I don't see how anybody can jump on me when I am critical of Nintendo's current direction.

Edit: Oh, I almost forgot I own a Donkey Kong Jr. 'Game & Watch'. :D

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Yes, I have a job right now, but I never really have enough money on-hand to just spend on an X-Box. I plan to get one soon with Syberia, Halo, and PDO.

I'm not a Nintendo fanboy, but I think it's really unfair that Nintendo is getting a lot of flak for nothing. Everyone thinks that the GameCube is doomed because they only sold 9.4 million consoles and have absolutely no debt and a lot of money in the bank, but the X-Box (which has sold the same amount of consoles, has put MS into more debt than the GameCube has for Nintendo, and has yet to really generate any sort of reasonable profit) is going to live forever.

Allen_Appel

Second Unit
Beer Monkey, your posts are more "Gosh, isn't it terrible how Nintendo is screwing up?" (and more than often correct) than "Hehe, Nintendo is screwing up and it's only a matter of time before we have Mario on Xbox!" (it's nonsensical to think that Zelda/Mario et al will ever appear on another company's hardware). Look, you paid money for a Migraine B--I mean Virtual Boy, you're a hardcore Nintendophile. I'm not sure what's in your Nintendo game library, but there are a lot of great/fun/weird titles out there that wouldn't have seen the light of day had there not been a Nintendo platform (rather than an economic bottom line) for them to be published on. For the same reason I regret that Sega abandoned hardware.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Well, I only paid $30 for the VB, and it came in a nice travel case.

I actually bought two of them, and managed to trade one for a Turbo Express plus TV tuner.

I think the years of the small quirky titles have largely passed already. In looking at the first-party Gamecube titles, I don't know if I see anything that couldn't sell on the PS2. Nintendo used to release a lot more (non-portable) games than they do now. Part of that is likely because games cost a lot more to develop than they used to.

I've been playing a lot of Wario Ware lately; I think it's my favorite Nintendo title from the last couple of years.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Last I checked, Microsoft Corporation was doing just fine, financially (D.O.J. hearings pending, of course).

And I personally wouldn't mind if Nintendo went the Sega route and made games. I've never been impressed with their platforms since the SNES (the Genesis was a superior piece of hardware wasn't it?), but I do miss playing their first-party games like Mario Party and Kart (never was big on their Mario adventure games after Super Mario Bros.).

I'd love to see what kind of game Nintendo could make taking advantage of the XBox's advanced video and HD capabilities (not to mention XBL)!

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
(the Genesis was a superior piece of hardware wasn't it?),
Yes and no. Genesis had a far faster clock and better processing power. SNES had a markedly superior graphics chip. Genesis I believe was limited to 64 onscreen colors while SNES could do 256. SNES also had its hardware sprite scaling (mode 7) something Sega later added to Sega CD. Sega did have out of the box support for stereo though.

KevinRB

Stunt Coordinator
Microsoft is not in debt. They have nearly $50 billion in cash and short term investments...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks