More Wire Questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John S Smith, Dec 21, 2001.

1. John S Smith

John S Smith Agent

I'm running conduit for HT wire, prior to closing in the ceiling, after that there is absolutely no access to this area due to Cathedral ceilng;

I intend to run individual conduit to each speaker location, I intend to run 12 Ga initially but for uprade potential do I need anything bigger than 3/4" flex?

Can I share conduits with cat5 cable (voice and PC Data) and/or RG6 (Satellite and/or Cable TV)?

I intend to terminate each speaker conduit in a 4" box with a nomal 2 gang mud ring, any suggestions on a plate that I could terminate speaker wire to? (then a short "jumper" from the plate to Speaker). Need it to look clean.

Dedicated 20 Amp Circuits 1 or 2 ?

Thanks, Merry Christmas.

..john

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    John,
    First, welcome to the Forum!

3. John S Smith

John S Smith Agent

Wayne

Thanks for the welcome, I tried to do my homework and have had many questions answered by looking at old postings from the more experienced members. I like your thinking on the speaker termination. KISS approach is usually the best.

I assume that running speaker wire for different channels in the same conduit is verboden, due to no shielding and similarity of the signal causing crossover problems.

Thanks again.

..john

4. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    John,

Cross-over is almost non-existent between speaker wires (unless perhaps when you would be using 100 Ohms sytems, like in public address). But at 4-8 Ohms, it's nearly impossible. Granted, the currents are higher, but don't forget the two twin wires running together, almost like twisted pairs! Even more so, because the amp will have an even lower (dynamic!) output impedance, effectively killing all picked up cross-over voltage.

Cees