More WindowsXP fun, question about backup

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jon_Are, Jun 19, 2002.

1. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

This is becoming a freakin' nightmare. I'm starting to yearn for Windows 3.1.

I just installed WindowsXP and am trying the backup program for the first time.

When I get to “Choose a place to save your backup”, I enter D:

Under “Type a name for this backup”, I’ve tried various names, starting with ‘backup’.

Then I click ‘next’.

Of course, it doesn’t work. I get an error message saying:

“The backup file name could not be used.
    “D:Backup.bkf”
    Please ensure it is a valid path, and that you have sufficient access.”

A few of the times I’ve tried it, it seemed to successfully copy files onto the CD, but, when I look to see them, it shows the CD as being blank.

I did make a successful CD-to-CD copy using this same burner and the same CDRW disk I’m trying to use on the backup. Also, I’ve tried 3 different disks for the backup.

Any help appreciated.

edit: My plan is to back everything up, re-format the hard drive, and reinstall XP in the hope that my hundreds of other problems with XP will be resolved. But now the @%^$#*&%# won't even let me back up my docs. To add insult to injury, an entire 'My Documents' folder, containing a hundred or so Word documents, has completely disappeared.

Jon

2. Danny R

Danny R Supporting Actor

Personally I'd recommend going with a "real" backup program. You'll save yourself mountains of headache down the road.

Just curious, but are you perhaps using an account that isn't set up as administrator? That might explain why you can't see things.

Otherwise, it looks as if your computer was given a fresh XP install, rather than just an upgrade. Fresh installs can rewrite the windows directory and documents folder.

3. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

Thanks, Danny...
    Any recommendations for a real (real cheap, that is) backup program?
    No, it wasn't a fresh install. There were problems along the way, though. Once the install was done many programs didn't work properly or at all. I'm still trying to get things right.
    Good thought on the administrator angle, but I don't think that's it. I'm sure I was in the administrator account.
    Thanks again,
    Jon

4. Chad Ellinger

Chad Ellinger Second Unit

Jon, is your D drive a CD drive? I'm not sure if Microsoft's Backup utility supports directly backing up to a CDRW. You might want to download a CD burning program such as NERO (http://www.ahead.de) and use that to copy your directories to your CDRW.